GDT: [Unwatchable] Preseason HOCKEY!!! | Avs @ Mild | Thurs, Sep 30, 7PM MT

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Just realised that NaturalStatTrick posted the stats for the Wild game, which were unavailable after the game earlier.

Ranta's dominance shows up in the Corsi, as did Olausson. It's also easy to see why Kaut was benched with these team-low metrics.

upload_2021-10-3_22-31-34.png

I'm a bit surprised that Maltsev rated so well in the Corsi as I didn't think he impressed by the eye test. Looks like he actually had a very solid effort defensively at 5v5 though, with an xGA of just 0.05 and leading the team in xGF%, while also winning 9 of 13 draws. Bednar often talks about analytics in his interviews and these metrics probably won't have gone unnoticed by him, especially considering the defensive-leaning role that Maltsev is going to be asked to play.

Dennis Gilbert also had a solid night in terms of analytics, easily outperforming MacDonald who hasn't looked great in preseason so far.

upload_2021-10-3_22-33-39.png

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
JMFJ a negative as always. Would love it if the guy could be a positive story for the team but definitely we’ll all be losing it if he plays a regular shift for us

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Further to my post above about Maltsev I had a look at some of his other analytics to see what we can expect.

He seems like a low event player who doesn't drive play but also keeps things tight defensively, which makes him a pretty prototypical 4th liner.

upload_2021-10-4_0-45-48.png
upload_2021-10-4_0-45-58.png

Isolated 5v5 impact:

upload_2021-10-4_0-47-0.png

upload_2021-10-4_0-47-42.png
upload_2021-10-4_0-49-33.png

Last season he was a positive possession player for New Jersey (5th highest CF% on the team), which is an impressive feat considering that NJ finished 2nd last in the Eastern Conference and that he played mostly with 4th liners against a relatively balanced level of opposition (as shown in the graph above).

upload_2021-10-4_0-53-17.png

Lastly, Maltsev led the league in takeaways/60 with 3.66...

upload_2021-10-4_0-58-44.png

All-in-all it's easy to see from some of these analytics why he was targeted in the Graves trade. He'll rarely wow you on the ice offensively, but he quietly does a lot of little things defensively that help the team which is pretty much exactly what you want from a 4C.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Does Maltsev play regularly on the PK and do an effective job? It says PK "NA". He hasn't looked the part so far and Avs preseason PK has been truly horrid.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Does Maltsev play regularly on the PK and do an effective job? It says PK "NA". He hasn't looked the part so far and Avs preseason PK has been truly horrid.

He basically didn't play at all on the PK last year. Averaged 8 seconds in 33 games.

That's not that surprising though since he's only 23 years old. The PK is one of those things that can be learned over time as well. Just takes hard work in practice and a strong dedication off ice to study video and work with the coaches.

NHL Stats

Reactions: shadow1

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
So bottom 6:

Jost-Newhook-Ranta
Compher-Maltsev-LOC

It has potential.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
He didn't play much on the PK for NJ, and judging by the Minnesota game it's easy to see why as his positioning wasn't great as he repeatedly over-committed on the point man and left all kinds of room and passing lanes behind him. He's good defensively at 5v5 though so hopefully it's just a matter of coaching and practice for him to become a solid PK'er just like Jost did.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
So bottom 6:

Jost-Newhook-Ranta
Compher-Maltsev-LOC

It has potential.
Helm is a lock for the opening night roster as a veteran UFA signing. It's understandable that people are down on him based on the Vegas game, but it's important to remember that it's only preseason. For perspective remember how bad Saad looked his first 5-6 games with us last season after no preseason games.

Reactions: ljb4

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Helm is a lock for the opening night roster as a veteran UFA signing. It's understandable that people are down on him based on the Vegas game, but it's important to remember that it's only preseason. For perspective remember how bad Saad looked his first 5-6 games with us last season after no preseason games.

I'm not sure about that. LOC is a lock with his promotional cameos and new contract, Compher makes too much to move, the rest are all in except Ranta. But he has done more than enough.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'm not sure about that. LOC is a lock with his promotional cameos and new contract, Compher makes too much to move, the rest are all in except Ranta. But he has done more than enough.
I'd expect that this is our bottom 6 until someone gets injured or plays poorly (Ranta 13th forward), though I'm not a fan of Compher on a line with Jost:

Jost ---- Newhook -- Compher
Helm --- Maltsev --- O'Connor

Based on nothing but preseason though I'd like your lineup above, but I could also see something similar with Compher at 4C, dropping Maltsev instead of Helm.

Jost ---- Newhook -- Ranta
Helm -- Compher -- O'Connor

Whatever the case I think Compher has a battle on his hands for his roster spot. He effectively lost his spot last season when we had a fully healthy roster, and it could easily happen again if others outperform him.

Reactions: ljb4

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'd be surprised if Helm wasn't in the line-up on opening night. But unless there are injuries I don't expect him to hold on to a regular roster spot all season. He's been bad for several years and I'm not willing to write it off as a byproduct of being on the Wings after the Patrik Nemeth experience last year.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'd be surprised if Helm wasn't in the line-up on opening night. But unless there are injuries I don't expect him to hold on to a regular roster spot all season. He's been bad for several years and I'm not willing to write it off as a byproduct of being on the Wings after the Patrik Nemeth experience last year.
Do you have anything to support the idea that he was bad for several years? The underlying metrics I've seen mostly suggest that he's been fine in the 3rd/4th line role he's played in.

Reactions: LTC Pain

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Do you have anything to support the idea that he was bad for several years? The underlying metrics I've seen mostly suggest that he's been fine in the 3rd/4th line role he's played in.

Just my eyes and I suspect the eyes of most Red Wings fans if you surveyed them on this board. Based on my location, the Red Wings are by far my second most watched team. Helm has hands of stone and pretty much no offensive awareness. The running joke amongst Wings fans is that he's a (jersey) crest hunter with his shot. I know he wasn't signed to score but I don't think it'll take long before you see what I'm talking about; plays dying on his stick all the time gets old fast.

I hope I'm wrong and we find out Helm has some gas left in the tank now that he's playing for a contending team again. But I'm not optimistic and I'm generally more of an optimist than a pessimist.

Reactions: Richard88

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Avs can’t afford to sit Ranta for Helm. The bottom 9 has to produce
I get why they signed Helm...sorta but imo he shouldnt be a lock to be in the lineup just because he was a good player in 2011. If Sampo continues his play he should be on opening night roster over several guys one of which is Helm.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I get why they signed Helm...sorta but imo he shouldnt be a lock to be in the lineup just because he was a good player in 2011. If Sampo continues his play he should be on opening night roster over several guys one of which is Helm.

I’m definitely in this camp. Both have the same number of games in an Avs sweater. So I’d argue that neither are owed a roster spot, they have to earn it. So far it’s looking like Ranta is the better investment, but the preseason is still young.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Helm probably has nothing left in the tank but will get his chance because he was once a good player.

The real issue is if Bednar sits better players in the playoffs once again over useless veterans like he did with Byram.

Reactions: McJedi

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Helm probably has nothing left in the tank but will get his chance because he was once a good player.

The real issue is if Bednar sits better players in the playoffs once again over useless veterans like he did with Byram.
Could be Jareds last year here if they get bounced early again. I think he takes less risks then ever before. I imagine that means playing vets over young kids when crunch time happens.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Could be Jareds last year here if they get bounced early again. I think he takes less risks then ever before. I imagine that means playing vets over young kids when crunch time happens.
I could see Bednar playing JJ over someone like Barron, but based on the way they've used Byram as a number 1 D in every game he's played thus far it would be really surprising if JJ got more usage than Byram. Bednar also mentioned that he wants to see Byram pushing for a spot in the top 4 this season as well, and things would have to go very wrong for JJ to sniff the top 4 at any point this season.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad