GDT: [Unwatchable] Preseason HOCKEY!!! | Avs @ Mild | Thurs, Sep 30, 7PM MT

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I thought that game was probably what we can expect from Newhook this season; moments where he flashes and shows his skill, overall not bad, but not quite broken through at the NHL level. I definitely don't think he's ready to contribute in the top six, even though that's probably where he needs to be to properly develop.

Newhook getting significantly outplayed by Ranta was not something I was expecting coming into preseason.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Man I really thought Kaut was going to take that step forward this season. What a disappointing preseason from him so far.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I thought that game was probably what we can expect from Newhook this season; moments where he flashes and shows his skill, overall not bad, but not quite broken through at the NHL level. I definitely don't think he's ready to contribute in the top six, even though that's probably where he needs to be to properly develop.

Newhook getting significantly outplayed by Ranta was not something I was expecting coming into preseason.
I know people hate my comments on skating, but you’re seeing it with Newhook. It was always such a pro to his game and was much better than everyone else’s. Now that advantage is lessened against higher end talent where most players are great skaters. He’s gonna have to adapt. I think it will happen for him, but positionally and level are tbd.

Ranta is keeping his game simple and using his tools to his advantage. Athletically, he’s one of the best, if not the best prospect the Avs have. If he can play a simple game, skate, check, and shoot… that’s a huge push up for his chances this year.

Olausson is so damn raw… I think we should kinda expect that with a lot of prospects ove the next couple years. He looks lost 80% of the time, but you see the flashes of potential.

Kaut playing like this simply won’t make the team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I knew Ranta had that Nichushkin speed and power to the outside in his game, but I didn’t know he had that Burakovsky knife through traffic with great hands through the inside in his game. He’s way more slick and poised than I expected him to look at this level. That will help with his predictability. I was worried that defenders would catch on to him being a one truck pony like Nuke/Kreider but he’s more than that. He’s still dumb but consider me impressed.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Olausson will need plenty of time but him already taking a step and looking better since he first got here is a good sign. I don’t know about that Rantanen comparison but it’s still nice to see him produce in these games.

Compher is practicing on the top PP unit like a week before the season begins. He’s not going anywhere.

Reactions: shadow1

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Why are people so hopefully for Kaut still. The guy hasn't shown anything at the NHL level.
Not sure, I think people just want him to be good since he was a first round pick. But in reality he is an average a top 6 AHLer who doesn't possess enough skill to be top 6 NHL, and doesn't have the type of game to be a successful bottom 6 NHLer. He'll be in Europe in two years tops, if not by the end of this year. Very much a wasted first round pick.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The 2nd line LW position is still open. Not sure if anyone has shown they belong there so far. It's probably gonna be Nichushkin still

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Why are people so hopefully for Kaut still. The guy hasn't shown anything at the NHL level.

He's still young (turns 22 tomorrow) and has shown flashes. I'm not sure if he's longed for this team but he's from the same draft class and has played a similar amount of games as players like Liam Foudy, Rasmus Kupari, and Rasmus Sandin.

It doesn't seem like Bednar favors him so he may not get a good NHL chance with the Avalanche, but we shouldn't write him off until he gets some NHL time under his belt.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I knew Ranta had that Nichushkin speed and power to the outside in his game, but I didn’t know he had that Burakovsky knife through traffic with great hands through the inside in his game. He’s way more slick and poised than I expected him to look at this level. That will help with his predictability. I was worried that defenders would catch on to him being a one truck pony like Nuke/Kreider but he’s more than that. He’s still dumb but consider me impressed.
Quick someone with graphic skill make an picture of it. It’s going to be my new avatar.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Your eyes can become very sensitive to light after trauma. However, this is not some sign of doom and gloom. Eyes can remain sensitive to light for years after trauma but it slowly goes away, especially if you train and eat properly (blueberries are really helpful). Especially for someone who has light-colored eyes like EJ, speaking from experience. I've always had a problem with light sensitivity because of my light blue eyes and it grew exponentially worse after I banged my head, it took 3 years for that to return to normal, but when I wore shades it was a non-issue.
I have to wear blue-light blocking glasses all day or I'm worthless. Even if I'm not looking at a screen. The sensitivity is wack. I can't imagine playing with those lights shining down. I never got diagnosed for a concussion, but I landed on my head once taking a jump wrong on my mountain bike. Busted my helmet and I was out for a few seconds.

Reactions: Islay1989

amigo

Mar 20, 2021
I wouldnt mind trade Kadri for C with better playmaking skills or switch him to LW.
Also split Rants and Mack could get us more options.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I noticed that... Looked more like your usual dark grey visor to me.

That said, EJ played a great first game and really didn't look like a guy who missed practically a full year of NHL action.

But the visor change concerns me tbh. Reminds me of Calvert last year and makes you wonder if bright lights are still causing him minor issues.

Would not surprise me at all if he's one more hit away from being done done, similar to Calvert.
upload_2021-10-1_10-50-43.jpeg

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Looks like it is going to be another frustrating season with goaltending not in par with rest of the team. Kuemper was fundamentally bad and slow as a snail in the game. Kadri looked very good. Ranta a positive surprise and Landeskog's meltdown was funny. It is sad that a team this good just can't find a goaltender that could give rest of the team a chance to go all the way.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Looks like it is going to be another frustrating season with goaltending not in par with rest of the team. Kuemper was fundamentally bad and slow as a snail in the game. Kadri looked very good. Ranta a positive surprise and Landeskog's meltdown was funny. It is sad that a team this good just can't find a goaltender that could give rest of the team a chance to go all the way.
You've written Kuemper off after 1 preseason game?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Injuries are a concern and will be all season long with Kuemper but I think he’ll be fine if he’s out there.

I mentioned Grubauer’s start the other day and how so many people wanted him gone when he struggled but then both him and Bednar talked about how much of an adjustment it can be for a goalie to go to a new team, work with a new goalie coach, have a different system in front of them, etc. I’m going to learn from that and try not to judge Kuemper anytime soon and certainly not in the preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad