GDT: [Unwatchable] Preseason HOCKEY!!! | Avs @ Mild | Thurs, Sep 30, 7PM MT

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
You've written Kuemper off after 1 preseason game?
I haven't seen him play before and obviously he'll have easier time when the best players are in front of him, but in this game he was awful. And the fundamentals of his play were way off of what they should be for a top notch goalie. That is the most worrying part of it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I haven't seen him play before and obviously he'll have easier time when the best players are in front of him, but in this game he was awful. And the fundamentals of his play were way off of what they should be for a top notch goalie. That is the most worrying part of it.
Once again, it's one preseason game. Jack Johnson has looked like one of the Avs' best defensemen. It doesn't mean he's ready for 1st pairing minutes on October 12th.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Injuries are a concern and will be all season long with Kuemper but I think he’ll be fine if he’s out there.

I mentioned Grubauer’s start the other day and how so many people wanted him gone when he struggled but then both him and Bednar talked about how much of an adjustment it can be for a goalie to go to a new team, work with a new goalie coach, have a different system in front of them, etc. I’m going to learn from that and try not to judge Kuemper anytime soon and certainly not in the preseason.
I think it is absolutely ridiculous to judge Kuemper after a half of game performance. Plus you mention from what Bednar said that goalers have to adjust from a certain style to a new one and if you consider Kuemper's history he's only played in slow defensive structured systems his entire pro career. Now with all that said, there is one concern in the back of my mind and it might come up again on game 60-something of this season if the Avs aren't as good as we expected them to be and that is Kuemper's lack of athleticism. We saw it last season against Vegas is that Avs like to be the ones dictating the play, they tend to play quite aggressive tactically and want puck possession all the time pushing a lot of players forward. This will cause some odd-man rushes against us, more so than the Islanders for example and I do think Kuemper's lack of overall flexibility will be exposed compared to when we had Grubauer in net. This is my hypothesis though from a small sample size and hopefully it is one that I don't have to bring back up in the future.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Yeah Kuemper will be fine. It's not like Grubauer didn't look like dog shit every now and then. Goalies are weird and Kuemper is still adjusting to a new team/system.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It’s not like Kuemper was even that bad, some of the shots were saveable but it’s not like they were softies. One time in the slot, one time top shelf point shot and a weird bounce.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Sakic still has some work to be done on the forward group as the season progresses but if Newhook/Ranta can play a solid role then that would be a game changer for our chances this year.

I don’t get the point of benching a guy like Kaut 9 minutes into preseason. Some players you need to give them an opportunity to build confidence, why not try it when the games don’t count

Reactions: Brett44 and S E P H

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Sakic still has some work to be done on the forward group as the season progresses but if Newhook/Ranta can play a solid role then that would be a game changer for our chances this year.

I don’t get the point of benching a guy like Kaut 9 minutes into preseason. Some players you need to give them an opportunity to build confidence, why not try it when the games don’t count
My thoughts exactly

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
One more scoring middle-six forward and I’m all aboard the cup train.

I’d love to grab a good second line winger, and drop Burakovsky to the Newhook line for playoffs. Imagine grabbing Rakell/Forsberg

Forsberg/Rakell - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Nichushkin
Burakovsky - Newhook - Jost
Ranta - Helm/Bowers - LOC

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Once again, it's one preseason game. Jack Johnson has looked like one of the Avs' best defensemen. It doesn't mean he's ready for 1st pairing minutes on October 12th.
That remains to be seen...

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

I’d love to grab a good second line winger, and drop Burakovsky to the Newhook line for playoffs. Imagine grabbing Rakell/Forsberg

Landeskog - Kadri - Nichuskin played together in the round robin in the bubble last year and they struggled to create ANY offense whatsoever.

Keep the top line together and slot Forsberg/Rakell in on the 2nd line.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I’d rather pry J.T. Miller from the Canucks. Would we rather sacrifice Barron or Helleson plus say MacNorris? I’d also force Compher on them for say a 3rd. That makes Kadri expendable. Opens up the 3W for Ranta. That’s be a heck of a checking line with Nuchushkin and Jost.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Landeskog - Kadri - Nichuskin played together in the round robin in the bubble last year and they struggled to create ANY offense whatsoever.

Keep the top line together and slot Forsberg/Rakell in on the 2nd line.

Agreed. And we also saw how well Jost and Nuke play together last year. They complement each other by offsetting their weakness with each other's strength.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’d rather pry J.T. Miller from the Canucks. Would we rather sacrifice Barron or Helleson plus say MacNorris? I’d also force Compher on them for say a 3rd. That makes Kadri expendable. Opens up the 3W for Ranta. That’s be a heck of a checking line with Nuchushkin and Jost.

Miller was the one player who, if the Avs had gotten this offseason, I’d have been okay with saying goodbye to Landeskog. He’d be insanely dominant in the attacking zone on the top line, or the perfect compliment to Kadri on the 2nd.

That said, I know Benning is a moron but it would take quite a bit IMO to get him.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Miller was the one player who, if the Avs had gotten this offseason, I’d have been okay with saying goodbye to Landeskog. He’d be insanely dominant in the attacking zone on the top line, or the perfect compliment to Kadri on the 2nd.

That said, I know Benning is a moron but it would take quite a bit IMO to get him.

You’re right. But a young D, cost controlled, R hand shot, likely eventual top 4 would be tough to pass on for Benning. If you throw in MacNorris and take the opportunity to dump Compher too and make Kadri expendable and balance the bottom 6? And I guarantee you every Avs fan on these boards would rather have Miller at C over JTC if need be.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I hate it. Hate moving Bura down when we know he’s best in the top six. I’d rather play a Rackell on line 3 than Bura. I’d rather play Bura on line one than line 3.

Reactions: JoeSakic13

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sampo Ranta on line 2 would be realistic if he can play like he did last game. Move Nuke down to where he belongs on the 3rd line with Jost.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
We’re pencilling in Ranta into our top six now, huh?
Yes, one good preseason game on youtube and your top six material.

To be fair the team is missing a top six winger and whoever plays next to Kadri and Bura should be on the 3rd line. Once the annual Avs injury wave hits the forward lines are certainly going to look interesting.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad