Proposal: Unsigned Erik Karlsson to Edmonton

Is this trade fair?

• Total voters

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
What makes you think he stays given his relationship with the owner?

Someone will pay him more elsewhere and treat him better than Melnyk.

He likes Ottawa and based on history, Swedes in general seem to get pretty settled in one place. I expect they work out a deal around 8/11 and try to improve the D with a guy like De Haan if they lose the lottery

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Is Drai for Karlsson(signed) worthwhile for either team?

Sens get an elite winger locked with term, and can experiment with him at C to see if he can carry his own line.

Oilers get the best dman on the planet, and with McDavid the team should be a playoff team.

Drai is most definitely a center, not a winger. He played half the year cantering his own line, and despite playing wing with McDavid the other half of the season, took the majority of draws. He was 11th in FO% among centres taking more than 500 draws, and 7th among centres taking over 1000 draws. You can argue he’s more productive with McDavid and question his ability to drive his own line, but he was saddled with the likes of Lucic/Cammaleri/Aberg/Caggulia in wing. With the Sens, I’d imagine he’d play with Stone. Big difference.

As for the thread, my fellow Oil fans have to realize EK isn’t being shopped as a rental. They already said he won’t be traded at the draft, and said they’ll talk contract one last time in July. Once that passes, every team trading for him will want to negotiate an extension.

Drai+2019 1st+Bear/Benning seems like a fair price. I’d pull the trigger no problem.

crayzy8

Jul 7, 2009
Carleton Place
The Sens won't sign EK just to trade him. If the Sens reach an agreement with him then he'll stay. If the sens or EK doesn't want to be here then they'll trade him. I see alot of posts saying "Why trade for him, let's wait until he becomes a free agent" we'll if you trade for him then you have priority negotiating rights to extend him. Where if you wait until he goes to FA, then you need to contend with 31 other teams.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
:sensLarsson/Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2018 1st, 2019 3rd (NYI)

:edmonton Erik Karlsson

I'd say that if Edmonton's pick was #2 or #3 and the Oilers knew for sure that they were going to sign Karlsson to say a 6 year $10 mil/per contract, then yes it's close to fair. Klefbom has to go the other way to help offset the amount of money the Oilers will pay Karlsson , but also the Sens might want a more established player than Pool or a better prospect like Yamamoto.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
There IS no unsigned Karlsson trade. To believe that would happen is just naïve.

An asset as valuable as Karlsson isn't something you chance free agency with, and Edmonton isn't THAT dumb to trade for him unless he's already agreed, in principal, to sign.

The forums are full of this 'his value is lower because he's an upcoming free agent' and 'Sens will accept less because it's better than losing him for nothing' nonsense. It demonstrates a lack of understanding of how transactions like this nature are handled so profound, it makes me question what exactly people think happens on big trades.

Reactions: zar

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Terrible post is terrible.

And Karlsson will only be moved if he is signed.

Yeah I'm sure if he's still a Sen at the deadline rather than trade him they will just let him walk for nothing.

Not sure why some fans keep pretending Ottawa has some kind of control over this.

MaxTheLimit

Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Not sure why some fans keep pretending Ottawa has some kind of control over this.
What YOU don't seem to understand is that other teams won't make the trade unless they are allowed to speak with Karlsson's agent at Newport sports before the trade happens so the details of a contract are worked out, and they can make sure he signs an extension soon after the trade is completed.

Sens can trade Karlsson as they wish. he has a modified NTC which gives him a 10 team no trade list. He's submitted his list of teams he'd accept a trade to, so if the Sens decide to trade him, they have absolute control to trade him. If you think there won't be teams willing to trade for him and willing to give him what he asks for, I don't think you appreciate the quality of asset at play here. The return is the only question.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah I'm sure if he's still a Sen at the deadline rather than trade him they will just let him walk for nothing.

Clueless post is clueless.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
What YOU don't seem to understand is that other teams won't make the trade unless they are allowed to speak with Karlsson's agent at Newport sports before the trade happens so the details of a contract are worked out, and they can make sure he signs an extension soon after the trade is completed.

Sens can trade Karlsson as they wish. he has a modified NTC which gives him a 10 team no trade list. He's submitted his list of teams he'd accept a trade to, so if the Sens decide to trade him, they have absolute control to trade him. If you think there won't be teams willing to trade for him and willing to give him what he asks for, I don't think you appreciate the quality of asset at play here. The return is the only question.

As much as I admire your psychic powers ( I really don't, I am laughing at them) pending FA's have been traded at the deadline since the dawn of Free Agency.

You are in the same position the Islanders were, how did that work out for them? I'll tell you how, praying he resigns with no control at all.

Not sure why you guys think you're so special to be immune to this. I can only think it is some sort of desperate survival mechanism.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

MaxTheLimit

Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
You are in the same position the Islanders were, how did that work out for them? I'll tell you how, praying he resigns with no control at all.
I assume you are talking about Tavares. A player that hasn't left the Islanders, yet. And they haven't lost him for nothing, as you seem to suggest will happen with BOTH of the players mentioned.

Not sure why you guys think you're so special to be immune to this. I can only think it is some sort of desperate survival mechanism.
This also seems quite similar to the situation recently with Stamkos in Tampa. How did that turn out? Can you name a single situation where a franchise player was lost for nothing as you seem to think is going to happen twice in the near future?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
As much as I admire your psychic powers ( I really don't, I am laughing at them) pending FA's have been traded at the deadline since the dawn of Free Agency.

If EK doesn't sign this summer, he will be traded before the season starts.

PS How are broom sales going in Toronto?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I assume you are talking about Tavares. A player that hasn't left the Islanders, yet. And they haven't lost him for nothing, as you seem to suggest will happen with BOTH of the players mentioned.

This also seems quite similar to the situation recently with Stamkos in Tampa. How did that turn out? Can you name a single situation where a franchise player was lost for nothing as you seem to think is going to happen twice in the near future?

No, I'm suggesting you could be in the same position. That you will have no control over what he does. You have window you can trade him. Statements like "He will not be traded without an extension" implies you are willing to be in the position the Islanders are currently in.

I admire your confidence. I hope you keep him until his contract expires and we'll see how wise you thought not trading him without an extension was while you're sweating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad