Unpopular Sports Opinions

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The closer role is one of those things that *shouldn't* matter. Statistically there is no difference between the 9th or 8th or any other inning. But how many times have we seen more than capable pitchers excel in a set-up man role but crumble when they are given the task of shutting the game down?

Clean innings are another thing. There's a mental aspect that for whatever reason is there and some players can handle it and some players can't. Look at Betances. He was great in a set-up role but in the past when injuries forced him to close out games he became the Chuck Knoblauch of pitchers.

Reactions: NJDevs26

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Another unpopular opinion of mine:

Teams can continue to score runs, steal bases, you know, play BASEBALL TO WIN....regardless of the score.
I get tired of hearing teams and some fans whine, complain, and then get angry when they or their team is down by 10, but the other team is still trying to score, advance runners, or just generally doing things to continue to stay on top.

If teams don't want other teams racking up 20 runs on them, then get outs. Just because one team had a complete meltdown and then starts going through the motions to get through the game, doesn't mean players on the other team need to oblige.

This isn't fricken little league, there are no mercy rules..... this is the highest talented and paid league in the world and players need to play like it

I find it to be particularly irritating when people whine about one team 'running up the score' in this era of the juiced ball.
Today's 10 run lead is yesterday's 5 run lead.

Just take yer lumps, get outs, try to score some yourself. Stop the ^%$#ing whining... :popcorn:

Reactions: Cassano

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Jays shouldn't have fired AA. They're a trainwreck for years to come, but AA is a guy that could've rebuilt them.

I might be wrong, but I don't think he was fired

His contract ran out, and they chose not to re-sign him

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I might be wrong, but I don't think he was fired

His contract ran out, and they chose not to re-sign him

His contract was up and he chose to leave because Shapiro came in as his new boss and said ‘this is the new way of doing things. Take it or leave it.’ Which was not the way that AA had been operating under the previous regime so AA left.

It’s fair for Shapiro to lay out his own ground rules as the new boss in town but it’s also equally acceptable for someone to not agree to those new terms and go somewhere else. I don’t think AA is too upset about the decision he made considering where he landed and the type of team he’s been given to shape for the next decade or so.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
oh here's one then:

anthopolous is remembered lovingly because he didn't have to clean up after making the moves to bolster the 15 team.

I think everyone knew the Jays window wasn’t going to be open forever but AA was the only GM in over 20 years to build a legit contender. I don’t think anyone would have blamed him after the 15-16 seasons if he needed to dismantle and rebuild. I don’t think it would be possible to have made much worse moves than Shatkins wrt to asset management after the 2016 season

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
he would have been dealing with the same assets they are. i think you're wearing rose colored glasses if you think he'd have gotten better return on flawed players.

he steps into atlanta where they've been building with young talent for a few years and looks like a genius when it starts to come together.

Reactions: BryceHarper

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
he would have been dealing with the same assets they are. i think you're wearing rose colored glasses if you think he'd have gotten better return on flawed players.

he steps into atlanta where they've been building with young talent for a few years and looks like a genius when it starts to come together.

Yes, same assets. I just think he would have handled them much better. Pretty much every player that they have dealt (or chosen not to re-sign) under the Shatkins regime has been bungled.

Sure you can say ‘based on their predictions of x or how they thought the team would preform or they thought the market would bare more in the offseason’ in the end it is a laundry list of collosal swings and misses.

AA swung and missed sometimes, sure, every GM does but at least he got some pretty big hits too. Yes, he was adding to a team that was trying to compete and that’s a lot different than rebuilding a team who’s window has closed but at least he got some results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassano

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
So far, AA has been outstanding with the Braves. The tightwad ownership hasn't given him a ton of financial leeway and he's certainly made the most of what little he's been given.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad