Unpopular Opinions 2023-24

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well an unpopular opinion will be for a lot of posters,

This team is not as good as it's record.
Simple as that.

Re-inforced by the Coach's comments over and over again.

"Playoff teams don't do ....."
or
"Playoff teams play ......"

So this isn't a playoff team. He is correct, it isn't even his team of players he would like to have.

IF the games against San Jose and Edmonton are removed this is barely a .500 team.

Reactions: Zippgunn

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
You could also cherry pick six losses and they’d only have one regulation loss. The numbers will get sorted out when they play another 15-20 games. They just finished 10 games in 17 days ffs, traveling all over the place.
Wrong thread.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
We’ll see how it goes. He had a few crappy games and he paid for it. No idea why everything is so cut and dried with so many fans. Guarantee he suits up next game. Then what if he goes on a heater?

14-7-2. People need to chill
No bro You need to chill.
I was clearly referring to the player not meshing well with the coach.
Kuzmenko is a quality player and i've acknowledged that multiple times. You must have mistaken me for someone else.

The team's performance for the last 2 weeks doesnt concern me, they've been playing a shit load of games and were almost guaranteed to cool down after that hot start. Im pretty sure i never said im worried about their performance in my last comment so I have no idea why you brought that up.

Its the fact that Tocchet clearly has a shorter leash for Kuz and Hogs that concerns me. I dont think the players are gonna like that while useless plugs like Beau are getting more chances than they deserve.

Reactions: theguardianII

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Unpopular opinion.

Tortorella was right years ago. Tocchet is right now. Ownership won't listen to Tocchet any more than management and ownership wouldn't listen to Torts

In regards to what?

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
We should be looking to trade Boeser, Petterson, kuzmenko,Hughes and any useful players for top prospects and picks. We are simply wasting their youth. Then proceed to tank for the test of the season, and next season as well.

• Haha
Reactions: lawrence

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
In regards to what?
I asked Bing ai about it

John Tortorella is a former coach of the Vancouver Canucks, who was fired after one season in 2014. He was known for his fiery and controversial style, which often clashed with the players and the media. Some of the things that he was right or wrong about the Canucks are:

Right: He tried to instill a more aggressive and physical style of play, which suited some of the players like Ryan Kesler and Kevin Bieksa. He also gave more ice time to young players like Bo Horvat and Nicklas Jensen, who showed promise and potential.
Wrong: He alienated some of the star players like Daniel and Henrik Sedin, who were used to a more finesse and puck-possession game. He also had a poor relationship with Roberto Luongo, who was traded to Florida after being benched in the Heritage Classic. He also caused a brawl with the Calgary Flames by sending out his fourth line to start the game, which resulted in a 15-day suspension for him

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I asked Bing ai about it

John Tortorella is a former coach of the Vancouver Canucks, who was fired after one season in 2014. He was known for his fiery and controversial style, which often clashed with the players and the media. Some of the things that he was right or wrong about the Canucks are:

Right: He tried to instill a more aggressive and physical style of play, which suited some of the players like Ryan Kesler and Kevin Bieksa. He also gave more ice time to young players like Bo Horvat and Nicklas Jensen, who showed promise and potential.
Wrong: He alienated some of the star players like Daniel and Henrik Sedin, who were used to a more finesse and puck-possession game. He also had a poor relationship with Roberto Luongo, who was traded to Florida after being benched in the Heritage Classic. He also caused a brawl with the Calgary Flames by sending out his fourth line to start the game, which resulted in a 15-day suspension for him

Horvat didn't play for Tortorella.

Reactions: Vancouver_2010

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Torts ran the vets into the ground to the point they neither had any gas left during the 'home stretch' of the regular season and/or get injured. They actually were in a playoff wild card spot as late as I think February that season. Ideally, you do this during the post-season (where you ride your horses). Willie Desjardins had the right idea of rolling the lines 1-2-3-4 during the regular season but kept the SAME philosophy in the playoffs. Like if your best forwards were the Sedins, why the **** would you not give them extra time against the Flames?

Reactions: I am toxic

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We have some beauties on our team. Seems to be another middle of the pack team again.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Torts ran the vets into the ground to the point they neither had any gas left during the 'home stretch' of the regular season and/or get injured. They actually were in a playoff wild card spot as late as I think February that season. Ideally, you do this during the post-season (where you ride your horses). Willie Desjardins had the right idea of rolling the lines 1-2-3-4 during the regular season but kept the SAME philosophy in the playoffs. Like if your best forwards were the Sedins, why the **** would you not give them extra time against the Flames?

Thats why i believe if Torts is coaching us in 2011, we would have won the cup, the sedins are still in their prime and in theory able to handle the extra work load.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This a post for opinions so.
On Torts season here - Worst schedule in Canuck history - Injuries to the entire core, only one player played the season even the Sedins missed games - visiting teams submit the starting line up first so Calgary started their goon line, Torts had to respond - Torts going after Hartley for starting that line up and the news that Alberts career had been finished by one of those starters - Torts year 37 different players played due to injuries - Torts was the first to declare "The core needs to be rebuilt", "The core is stale", he also stated "The Sedins are the toughest players he has seen, being from back east he wasn't aware how tough" - His team missed the playoffs by one point - He went on to win the Coach of the Year his next job training a bunch of very young players. The media hate him because he replaced their "source". Mr Ego leaked all kinds of information.

Elias Pettersson, C, His game looks similar to what was happening after a couple of "upper body" injuries. After seeing how concussions had affected Daniel, Naslund and La Fontaine and others, high skilled players are not quite the same, they are off their game a little bit in every area. EP has been shaking his head after getting hit or bumped, clearing the "cob webs"? Why shake his head? I am pretty sure most people can see he is not right.
concussion in 2018, 2021 missed 30 games "upper body" - 2022 - "Upper body" being young he could recover quicker BUT some of his stats show a decline and then resurgence. But he also stopped shaking his head.

Kuzmenko's benching, maybe a message to Pettersson, Tocchet cannot bench Pettersson and that line has been bad in their own end. Kuzmenko's check in the defensive zone would be the dman on his side, how many points have defencemen got from that side.
Thats why i believe if Torts is coaching us in 2011, we would have won the cup, the sedins are still in their prime and in theory able to handle the extra work load.
AV was played by opposing coaches he would set his lineup by what the other coach's were saying to the media.
He stopped coaching in the finals, he missed using Boston College hero, Schneider the other half of the Jennings trophy to help influence a few fans, he asked Luongo if he wanted to play. That was after Luongo was blown up. What did he think Luo would say? No? Saying no is being benched, he should have made the decision. Luongo stated how hard and how much of a grind the playoffs were. Ya, Torts would have done different but it is the past now and only worthy of discussion.

Reactions: Vancouver_2010

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
my unpopular opinion is that pettersson isn't injured he just has compete issues. this is like the 3rd or 4th stretch in his career where he has looked like this for an extended period and i don't think any of them were definitively tied to any particular injuries. i'm beginning to think this is just the player he is

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well an unpopular opinion will be for a lot of posters,

This team is not as good as it's record.
Simple as that.

Re-inforced by the Coach's comments over and over again.

"Playoff teams don't do ....."
or
"Playoff teams play ......"

So this isn't a playoff team. He is correct, it isn't even his team of players he would like to have.

IF the games against San Jose and Edmonton are removed this is barely a .500 team.
You could not go against the spirit of the thread more than post something damning about the team when it's doing poorly (not that I necessarily think you're wrong or anything) or post something optimistic about the team when it's doing well, IMO.

It's for going against the grain, not being swept up in current trends.

Reactions: theguardianII

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The strange, didactic posters like bernmeister and early M2B are the most fun and message boards like this wouldn't be worth reading without them.

Reactions: Flik

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
No bro You need to chill.
I was clearly referring to the player not meshing well with the coach.
Kuzmenko is a quality player and i've acknowledged that multiple times. You must have mistaken me for someone else.

The team's performance for the last 2 weeks doesnt concern me, they've been playing a shit load of games and were almost guaranteed to cool down after that hot start. Im pretty sure i never said im worried about their
Yes but this is the unpopular opinion thread and you responded by posting a popular opinion. Just don’t open this thread if you can’t control yourself.
The Dude abides

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
There is no clear-cut favorite in the Western Conference this year. There are 6 teams hanging around the top, then there is the rest. The Kings have the best record, but they just came off a soft run against 7 teams that are questionable about making the playoffs, and lost 2 of them. Of the 6 teams, we have the best goal differential and are good at keeping it out of our net.

Making the playoffs will take around 91 points given how weak the rest of the conference has started. We get there with a 28-26-6 record. Therefore, this team needs to be making trades with playoff contention in mind, rather than simply making it or looking towards next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad