Unpopular Opinions 2023-24

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Here's one. Bridging EP was the right move.

EP was casual af in his next 2 offseasons following the bubble run, barely training, all photoshoots and sunrays. his underperformance, with an impending big contract, would have led to a shitstorm in the media and management. His recent breakout season may not have happened when it did, and he could have been on his way out right now.

Instead, it will play out just as hoped, with a follow up big season, and team success to boot. A fair deal will be arranged long term thereafter.
Incredibly bad take, not even hot, just absurd

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Don’t know if I heard this before, but under the radar thing with this season that I think would be nice is a Brock Boeser arc where his career morphs into Andrew Brunette. Improving defensively, better corner work you would expect from a heavier guyand great playmaking. I don’t think the shot is bad but people cover his release better so can’t lean into them like he used to. But he’s still a smart useful player. I really saw it tonight. I really mean that as a compliment.

Sorry bad grammar, hehe.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I think not only we should tank this season and the following seasons as well. Also we should trade all of our star players for picks and collect them like lottery tickets.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
This season Pettersson adds a significant physical dimension to his game.
He seems to really throw some hard hits as well. But he seems to be charging into those hits so he’s going to have to learn some of the repercussions that come with those hits as some will most definitely take retaliatory shots. It’s not like he’s going after a huge open ice hits or is looking to hit guys every shift, just more of a guy who will finish his checks if the opportunity arises and picks his spots carefully.

I don’t think he’ll ever develop a mean streak (which he doesn’t have to at all), so I wouldn’t expect him to be too engaged in scrums or post whistle shenanigans, but I do share the same sentiment in that I do think Pettersson’s overall aggressiveness is starting to take flight as he gets more comfortable as being one of the veterans of this team and is there to lead by example.

I will say this. Pettersson is very clumsy on his skates and I don’t think I’ll ever get over that fact :laugh: Just means more PP’s.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think not only we should tank this season and the following seasons as well. Also we should trade all of our star players for picks and collect them like lottery tickets.
Chicago's plan. Well SJ and Anaheim's as well.

The brains in management either still believe in the tooth fairy or really think fans in this market do.

Allvin is treating this fanbase like Pittsburgh's. Once the season is over the Steelers take up all the sporting news and if not them then the Pirates.
There they had to win to keep interest.

Allvin comes here and it "poor fans, they deserve a playoff game" instead of Rutherford's "this is not a good team and it will take two or three years to become a playoff team"

Rutherford comes in with truth and gets embraced for being upfront with fans, Allvin quickly throws a bucket of water on those embers quenching real hope with a mist of instant gratification he tells fans. Tells fans that is what they want and ends up solidifying Benning mistakes and compounding some.
Vancouver just got rid, ya, RID of a overpaid older player at a cost that will haunt the team for 8 years but doubled down on a 30 yr old for 6 more years. Does anyone really think a 35 yr old JTMiller will be better treated than a 32 yr old former Norris trophy candidate that was played outside his comfort zone? OEL at least had an reason or two, one, he was a offensive type dman, similar to Hughes and second he was coming off a broken leg.

Sometimes I wonder that it isn't the NHL running the team. US teams need winners to attract bums to seats, Canada fills arena's without actual total success on the ice, The Cup.

It seems that North of the border each team spends 8 to 12 years outside of two playoff rounds whereas in the US that is 4 to 6 years. There are exceptions but they are trotted out to show that it happens there too, the same teams, Arizona (12 owners), Buffalo (3 owners).

Back to today and the Vancouver Coiler's. Star power, check, hope, check, wins, not so much, new coaches, check, etc....

Tank? You bet! Trade assets for the future? They will be leaving anyway or just getting too old to be wanting to win badly, they will become "professional". Show up, skate around, not look too bad by counting on game management ( as bad as Arizona has ever been or even Chicago last year they were hardly badly beaten on the score sheet)

Why not now, they are going to do it in 3 years anyway, they will blame the cap three different ways, how hard it is to make trades, injuries, schedule and needing to evaluate the team (new management)

Canucks will finish the season competing with Anaheim

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
To all the people that thought I was nuts when I said we should grab Yamamoto who is laughing now??

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Alright, posting in the failure of Canucks development triggered this memory in me and I'm going to exorcise some demons with this post. It is absolutely stupid this fan base reveres 1994 but 2011 has this bad odor to it and everyone wants to forget it. The entire disrespect of the Gillis regime which led to him being run out of town and a god forsaken dark age that has swallowed this stupid team for a generation entirely stems from it.

Real talk, is it really any of the Canucks employees' fault that some drunk threw a bottle through a big screen TV in the stadium parking lot, sparking one of the silliest riots in modern history?

When you think of 1994, it's always the silly Trevor Linden crying and bleeding all over Kirk McLean, as they share a loving embrace, in those vivid yellow and black silly retro jerseys. And by God, every fan alive back then wants to digitally relive that moment with you, as they want to digitally cry and bleed on you, while digitally embracing you, passionately and eloquently speaking from the depths of their souls about how much it all meant. Fine, I guess, if you guys want to cry and bleed while hugging each other. But the 2011 team was better in every respect. Roberto Luongo should be revered in this town like Jesus Christ is for Christians. He is that significant to the Vancouver Canucks, and had that much of an impact once he was risen in Vancouver. But no no, we want to sweep that all under the rug because of a meme of a little guy wearing swimming goggles screaming with a hockey stick in front of a smashed out building.

During the Crawford era, we watched a local cult hero try to murder another guy and he was absolutely right for doing so. However, that era has just been erased in everyone's mind and somehow the Gillis era is considered worse? For the record, I loved both eras. And Bertuzzi should be the Holy Ghost in Canuckianity.

The Vancouver hockey media which is probably the most unimpressive gang of idiots I have experienced in any medium, suddenly turned into Gillis' ex-girlfriend and wanted to run him out of town while distorting history and trying to erase it. Which has led to ownership now running the team like Mister Burns in Soviet Russia. Not Good, Not Bad. Because they'd rather thrive in mediocrity than deal with the attention of success. Which led to this God forsaken Dark Age that has to make any one who has lived through it question existence and the point of it all.

The whole thing is incredibly stupid. But hey, Trevor Linden and Kirk McLean crying and bleeding all over each other while deeply, passionately embracing... I guess...
In 94 they overachieved in 2011 they choked.

That’s why. They were favorites and went up 2-0 and they blew it. They got embarassed multiple times. Luongo shit the bed in game 6 and then they got shutout at home in a game 7.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Having different player's agents getting permission to move players from the same team has a deeper meaning.

There are a few big issues that this can signal.

This AND the unnecessary buyout of OEL are big RED FLAGS!

A quick review here, there are now 4 players in total that have openly expressed a desire to move or hesitate to commit. Horvat might have even been included.

Sometimes and in Vancouver especially, the media have been shielding the team from the really bad internal stuff.

There have been multiple signs of problems for years now.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Having different player's agents getting permission to move players from the same team has a deeper meaning.

There are a few big issues that this can signal.

This AND the unnecessary buyout of OEL are big RED FLAGS!

A quick review here, there are now 4 players in total that have openly expressed a desire to move or hesitate to commit. Horvat might have even been included.

Sometimes and in Vancouver especially, the media have been shielding the team from the really bad internal stuff.

There have been multiple signs of problems for years now.

giphy (6).gif

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Player wants a fresh start in a different city with maybe a bit more opportunity. Story at 11 pm.
It’s honestly just astonishing how Benning couldn’t possibly consider that the most liberal city in North America (with a social democrat provincial government) might not be a great fit for Garland. Surely they could have at least gotten an intern to go through social media likes.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
IMO, Pettersson is not really a good skater.

He has considerable speed and is elusive and agile. But his skating mechanics are kind of choppy and sluggish. When he’s trying to deke sometimes it seems like he’s not getting enough response from his skates which slows him down and causes him to double clutch at times.

Even on the OT against the Rangers, his left skate is extended far out when he was trying to deke. He made a very wide turn and Kreider’s leg which wasn’t extended at all seems to have interfered with him. If Pettersson made a shorter c cut, he would have cleared Kreider no problem.

It’s also why I don’t think he’s good one on one. He doesn’t have a whole lot of fluid motion where he can move the puck while being able to respond through his skating. It has to work almost sort of adaptability, and there’s no sort of fluidity between his feet and his dekeing. He can of reminds me of Joe Thornton in that sense.

Still a creative player though and honestly a top 5 defensive forward in the league.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
IMO, Pettersson is not really a good skater.

He has considerable speed and is elusive and agile. But his skating mechanics are kind of choppy and sluggish. When he’s trying to deke sometimes it seems like he’s not getting enough response from his skates which slows him down and causes him to double clutch at times.

Even on the OT against the Rangers, his left skate is extended far out when he was trying to deke. He made a very wide turn and Kreider’s leg which wasn’t extended at all seems to have interfered with him. If Pettersson made a shorter c cut, he would have cleared Kreider no problem.

It’s also why I don’t think he’s good one on one. He doesn’t have a whole lot of fluid motion where he can move the puck while being able to respond through his skating. It has to work almost sort of adaptability, and there’s no sort of fluidity between his feet and his dekeing. He can of reminds me of Joe Thornton in that sense.

Still a creative player though and honestly a top 5 defensive forward in the league.
I actually very much agree with that. Petey has always looked awkward as hell to me on his skates. Doesn't help that image that he's kinda got a gangly frame. And yet, like you allude, he's fast enough, agile enough and smart enough to make up for it most of the time.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I actually very much agree with that. Petey has always looked awkward as hell to me on his skates. Doesn't help that image that he's kinda got a gangly frame. And yet, like you allude, he's fast enough, agile enough and smart enough to make up for it most of the time.
Haha yeah. He’s overall very clumsy. It’s why he’s able to draw a lot of penalties because his balance is just non existent. If he gets nudged off the puck he falls down quite easily and he draws the penalty. Some of the calls in favour of him are kinda funny in that way.

His balance issues seem to have gotten better as he’s put on more weight. Though tying it all back to the agility part, whenever Pettersson falls he gets up almost acrobatically, like he falls down and then he gets up and then falls back down sometimes and then he gets back up all in one fluid motion and it’s like watching a toddler fall down and get back up :laugh:.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Haha yeah. He’s overall very clumsy. It’s why he’s able to draw a lot of penalties because his balance is just non existent. If he gets nudged off the puck he falls down quite easily and he draws the penalty. Some of the calls in favour of him are kinda funny in that way.

His balance issues seem to have gotten better as he’s put on more weight. Though tying it all back to the agility part, whenever Pettersson falls he gets up almost acrobatically, like he falls down and then he gets up and then falls back down sometimes and then he gets back up all in one fluid motion and it’s like watching a toddler fall down and get back up :laugh:.

Pettersson's really just not a dynamic player...when has he ever really beaten someone 1-on-1? How often does he create offense using dynamic movement or puck-handling? Lately he'll try to skate through the opposing team on the PP and fails miserably. And he continues to be static and hesitant on the PP and it was much better when Miller did most of the puckhandling on the PP.

Pettersson does kind of have the Midas touch though, for whatever reason when he touches the puck it's more likely to go in the net even if he doesn't contribute much to the play. And his defensive play has generally been excellent.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Pettersson's really just not a dynamic player...when has he ever really beaten someone 1-on-1? How often does he create offense using dynamic movement or puck-handling? Lately he'll try to skate through the opposing team on the PP and fails miserably. And he continues to be static and hesitant on the PP and it was much better when Miller did most of the puckhandling on the PP.

Pettersson does kind of have the Midas touch though, for whatever reason when he touches the puck it's more likely to go in the net even if he doesn't contribute much to the play. And his defensive play has generally been excellent.

To me the bolded emphasizes your inability to evaluate a player correctly.

There is more going on then what you are seeing with Pettersson's offense if you are chalking it up to luck.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin and MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad