TSN: Unlike Kessel, Leafs' Phaneuf open to in-season negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I didn't like Bozaks approach to being a UFA and I don't like Kessel's either. I like the player but honestly by this point I would have traded both Kessel and Bozak for more elite type power forward if possible.

Good for Dion I would extend him at the same money just for being cool about it all. I don't think he is worth 7.5 but hey maybe he is, I mean Clarkson got 5.2 and Dion is about 1000x more valuable of a player so.

Clarkson has yet to play a regular season or playoff game for us and you already know that Phaneuf is 1000x more valuable. Sure thing.

I bet Clarkson would have at least somewhat challenged Chara in front of our net in game 7 unlike Phaneuf.

Get real, 1000x more valuable is laughable IMHO.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You are correct. Phaneuf is good, but, not great. He should not be paid a dime over 6.5 million and probably should be paid around 5 million at most.

I want Phaneuf on our Leafs. I just don't want him as our #1.

He is worth over 5, Clarkson has never been able to stand on his skates, looks awkward but causes a commotion had offers over 5, if you said Dion is available would you think the offer would not be higher? Dion can match Clarkson pt for pt as a D lay a hit, fight chew 25mins and be your captain.

That's like saying an RV and a Ferrari are fundamentally the same.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Clarkson has yet to play a regular season or playoff game for us and you already know that Phaneuf is 1000x more valuable. Sure thing.

I bet Clarkson would have at least somewhat challenged Chara in front of our net in game 7 unlike Phaneuf.

Clarkson in his best best season had a total of 46pts in 80 games. Phaneuf had 44pts.
Last season, Clarkson had 24pts while Phaneuf had 28 pts.

And this was all done with Phaneuf playing as a defenseman.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Clarkson in his best best season had a total of 46pts in 80 games. Phaneuf had 44pts.

Exactly this.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Phaneuf's scoring does not make up for his defensive mistakes. Too many times, opposing players blow right by him or he fails to challenge them in front of our net, and, we end up with a goal against.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Phaneuf's scoring does not make up for his defensive mistakes. Too many times, opposing players blow right by him or he fails to challenge them in front of our net, and we end up with a goal against.

At the same time the guy is playing against Crosby and Stamkos etc, this is just going to happen and generally he is solid playing up to the 22 minute mark, when he paces for 28 it's beyond his ability and he looks tired. If you can pull stats on that watch when they lean on him heavy in the first 2 periods, surprised they don't notice that and roll him back some.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
At the same time the guy is playing against Crosby and Stamkos etc, this is just going to happen and generally he is solid playing up to the 22 minute mark, when he paces for 28 it's beyond his ability and he looks tired. If you can pull stats on that watch when they lean on him heavy in the first 2 periods, surprised they don't notice that and roll him back some.

Exactly, he can't handle the big minutes. I'd like him a great deal more if he were a #2 or even a #3 D.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Exactly, he can't handle the big minutes. I'd like him a great deal more if he were a #2 or even a #3 D.

With Rielly he will be more than likely ,and a good 2D makes at least 6 if they are very good; Dion is very good :)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
With Rielly he will be more than likely ,and a good 2D makes at least 6 if they are very good; Dion is very good :)

I still maintain he is a good D, however, I really hesitate to say he is a very good D.

Sorry, just my humble opinion, and, Phaneuf's play in game 7 really confirmed it for me.

BayStreetBullies*

You are correct. Phaneuf is good, but, not great. He should not be paid a dime over 6.5 million and probably should be paid around 5 million at most.

I want Phaneuf on our Leafs. I just don't want him as our #1.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Bozie should hit50 but keep in mind all his intangibles, very unselfish player, can play in all situations, great faceoffs, good team guy. On top of that, what other centre options are out there at his price who does all that and has chemistry with Kessel?

So you just spewed all this intangible crap about Bozak but refuse to notice the intangibles that Phaneuf brings?

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I like him but his comments make me Leary that he would stay. I am certain he is why we signed Bozak for top dollar and I just am not a fan of doing business like that.

I like power forwards. It's a style thing I suppose, nothing against Kessel he is awesome.

I'm the furthest thing from a Bozak supporter, but his contract isn't even that bad. The worst thing about the contract is that Bozak is attached to it.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Clarkson also wouldn't have been on the ice for 9 of the last 10 mins of the game. And by your same logic, how exactly can you prove that Clarkson would've been more valuable if like YOU said he hasn't even stepped on the ice for us yet?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm the furthest thing from a Bozak supporter, but his contract isn't even that bad. The worst thing about the contract is that Bozak is attached to it.

What is that?

His contract is not even that bad...then you say it is bad because it attached to Bozak.

Is this some new form of logic, as it sure as hell is not a form that I recognize.

Leafsin2014*

I still maintain he is a good D, however, I really hesitate to say he is a very good D.

Sorry, just my humble opinion, and, Phaneuf's play in game 7 really confirmed it for me.

I completely agree. Phaneuf has the reputation of a #1, but doesn't have the game anymore. there's a reason he was voted the most overrated player in the NHL by his peers!

Leafsin2014*

So you just spewed all this intangible crap about Bozak but refuse to notice the intangibles that Phaneuf brings?

What intangibles? All those fights he backs down from? All those huge hits that happen less and less as the years go on. All those complete brain farts defensively that are becoming more common?

He is a decent second pairing guy, not first pairing.

Leafsin2014*

The cap needs to be managed properly, giving Phaneuf 7.5M is a huge overpayment and makes our team worse. Those of you comparing him to Clarkson - get a grip. Players with Clarkson's skills are rare, D is a huge strength for us and the time to cut ties with Phaneuf is now. We have Rielly, Gardiner, Percy, Blacker, MacWilliam all as young guys very close or ready now. Not to mention a commitment to Gunn and Ranger. We don't need to saddle ourselves with a huge contract extension for Dion.

Last edited by a moderator:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The cap needs to be managed properly, giving Phaneuf 7.5M is a huge overpayment and makes our team worse. Those of you comparing him to Clarkson - get a grip. Players with Clarkson's skills are rare, D is a huge strength for us and the time to cut ties with Phaneuf is now. We have Rielly, Gardiner, Leivo, Percy, MacWilliam all as young guys very close or ready now. Not to mention a commitment to Gunn and Ranger. We don't need to saddle ourselves with a huge contract extension for Dion.

In your opinion. Dave Nonis may feel otherwise. Be prepared not to get your way.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Looking at the 2014 UFA defense class... I see Nonis offering Phaneuf the money. (unless we go over Brooks Orprik or Seidenberg or like that). I don't see anyone that really stands out for me.

Leafsin2014*

In your opinion. Dave Nonis may feel otherwise. Be prepared not to get your way.

Or prepare to be surprised. There's a reason he was rated the most overrated player in the NHL. Leafs fans like you are well known for vastly overrated your own players.

mikebel111*

Dion is a number 1 d man. And a great captain. Leafs nation doesnt know a good D man they see one.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Or prepare to be surprised. There's a reason he was rated the most overrated player in the NHL. Leafs fans like you are well known for vastly overrated your own players.
'Leaf fans like you...'

Love it.
Only way Phaneuf gets less than 7 is if he takes one of Leaf Nation's famous hometown discounts. Otherwise, someone (hopefully us if it comes down to it) will give it to him and deservedly so. (Well as much as someone can honestly deserve 7m a year).

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

I wasn't saying that I think Phaneuf should get big money. I was saying that Nonis could easily think that Phaneuf should get big money. I can see arguments on both sides.

Leaf fans like you decide what they would do and then whine when the Leafs don't do that.

BayStreetBullies*

I completely agree. Phaneuf has the reputation of a #1, but doesn't have the game anymore. there's a reason he was voted the most overrated player in the NHL by his peers!

It was a Sports Illustrated poll, conducted by asking 161 NHL players. Here's their top 15 most overrated:

1. Dion Phaneuf
2. Alex Ovechkin
3. Scott Gomez
4. Roberto Luongo
5. Dany Heatley
6. Ilya Kovalchuk
7. Vincent Lecavalier
8. Jay Bouwmeester
9. Ryan Kesler
10. Mike Komisarek
11. Chris Pronger
12. Jarome Iginla
13. Alexander Semin
14. Olli Jokinen
15. Ed Jovanovski

That list is a complete joke. There's a reason why SI should stick to writing about football and publishing Swimsuit editions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad