TSN: Unlike Kessel, Leafs' Phaneuf open to in-season negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431778

With the contracts of both Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel set to expire after this season, Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him if he wants to re-sign what are the Leafs top earning players on a yearly basis. The Phaneuf negotiations may prove to be somewhat easier however, as the Leafs captain told TSN 1050 that unlike Kessel, he is willing to negotiate with the team during the season.

“I have no issue negotiating during the year, I did my last deal during the year,” Phaneuf said in an interview with Bryan Hayes, Jamie McLennan and Jeff O'Neill Friday afternoon on Leafs Lunch. "I love playing here and I want to be a part of this organization.”

In the last year of a six-year, $39 million contract he signed with the Calgary Flames, the 28-year-old's stance is in contrast with the Leafs leading goal-scorer, Kessel who indicated the team may have only until the end of the month to get him to agree to a deal, saying he felt in-season negotiations would become a distraction.

Coming off his second straight season finishing in the top-10 in league scoring, the 25-year-old Kessel will likely be seeking a significant increase on the $5.4 million cap hit he is currently costing the team, whereas Phaneuf may seek an amount more in line with his current $6.5 million number.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
"I love playing here and I want to be a part of this organization.”

Does he love it enough to take a paycut? Eh? Eh?

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
I'm not liking how Kessel said "“This is my first time being an unrestricted free agent after this year,†he said. “It’s something that I think all guys look forward to, where you can choose where you want to play.â€" he seems like he'll be a weasel and wait to sign once he gets other offers to maximize his pay or leave via free agency and we get fleeced with nothing in return....

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/sp...ap-to-forefront-of-toronto-maple-leafs-issues

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think Phaneuf gets 7.5M on the open market, it just seems like the going rate for a #1D in UFA. If we can get him for anything under that, it means that he took some sort of pay cut.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I'm not liking how Kessel said "“This is my first time being an unrestricted free agent after this year,†he said. “It’s something that I think all guys look forward to, where you can choose where you want to play.â€" he seems like he'll be a weasel and wait to sign once he gets other offers to maximize his pay or leave via free agency and we get fleeced with nothing in return....

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/sp...ap-to-forefront-of-toronto-maple-leafs-issues

Yea that left a bad taste in my mouth as well...

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I don't like it either but I am chalking that off as Kessel not being able to comprehend the situation properly.

He's not exactly smart with his answers. Remember that time when it sounded like he asked for a trade because it wasn't working out with Ron Wilson?

Kessel has no idea what he's saying at times. Let's hope he talks better when he's on the phone with his agent.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I'm Quite happy about this. Kessel is slightly more important to us than Phaneuf and more easily replaceable, but Kessel hasn't really shown any of us any urgency that he wants to stay a leaf for life. He just kinda seems like he's strolling along, dazed and disoriented.

But Bozak signed, so Kessel's gotta sign too, right :cry:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Yea that left a bad taste in my mouth as well...

Why? He's just saying what's true rather than a tired "I love playing here" sports interview cliche. Hey, the exact one we heard from Phaneuf. Kessel seems to have this tendency to say things that are wide open to misinterpretation, probably because he doesn't always give the sugar-coated answers sports fans are accustomed to.

It's true that this is really the first time in his professional career that Kessel has full control over what happens. The first time he gets to see what teams around the league think he's worth. It doesn't neccessarily mean he wants to leave. No real context is given for that quote, only "While Kessel said he is open to an extension, he also is intrigued by what the open market might offer." That would seem to indicate that he's responding to a leading question.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I'm not liking how Kessel said "“This is my first time being an unrestricted free agent after this year,†he said. “It’s something that I think all guys look forward to, where you can choose where you want to play.â€" he seems like he'll be a weasel and wait to sign once he gets other offers to maximize his pay or leave via free agency and we get fleeced with nothing in return....]

I could of course be way wrong, but i think Kessel is more interested in staying where his best friends are.. aka Bozak.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I think Kessel will end up being our own version of Zach Parise and it makes me sick. It's like telling the girl you like you'll do anything for her and her just saying i don't care, pfo.

Even worse is our lasting memory of Kessel will be Bozak, whose numbers will be even more pathetic with Phil gone.

As far as Dion goes, no I do not think he will be taking any paycut whatsoever. I do think he will agree to stay with us.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't like it either but I am chalking that off as Kessel not being able to comprehend the situation properly.

He's not exactly smart with his answers. Remember that time when it sounded like he asked for a trade because it wasn't working out with Ron Wilson?

Kessel has no idea what he's saying at times. Let's hope he talks better when he's on the phone with his agent.

Yeah the way he phrased his answer it sounded like he was referring to the league in general rather than him himself. It's a chance for a player to choose where they want to play and of course that piques the interest of many. He wants a long term extension, and if Nonis wasn't interested in giving one to him well then I think he would have been shipped out of town by now. That's my personal opinion on it anyways, and I think at this point they're just looking at what his cap hit should be over the course of 8 years.

I think Kessel will end up being our own version of Zach Parise and it makes me sick. It's like telling the girl you like you'll do anything for her and her just saying i don't care, pfo.

Even worse is our lasting memory of Kessel will be Bozak, whose numbers will be even more pathetic with Phil gone.

As far as Dion goes, no I do not think he will be taking any paycut whatsoever. I do think he will agree to stay with us.

I believe they weren't able to re-sign Parise because of the owner's financial situation, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I really don't care if Kessel chooses to re-sign with the Leafs or not to be honest. I feel he can be replaced by depth scoring. The thought of tying up over 20 million in cap space in just our top-6 wingers makes me cringe. I think i'm kinda hoping Nonis ships him off actually.

I feel the complete opposite for Dion.

He's the anchor of the Leafs defence and there isn't anybody remotely close who can replace what he brings to the table. Sure, he'd be more effective playing under 25 minutes a night but that's just a testament to how bad the Leafs defence core is, and we absolutely cannot lose him.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
As I've said before, Kessel was pretty much telling the hard truth which he does sometimes. Players enjoy hitting FA, what a shocker. I don't believe it was in regards to his situation. People are jumping to conclusions.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
People forget that Kessel's social skills and/or media skills are beyond horrendous. Remember when he said it wasn't working out in regards to Ron Wilson when he was in a scoring slump? Everybody thought it meant he wanted to leave, but that was the furthest thing from the truth.

Kessel is insanely misinterpreted by a lot of people.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, interviews with Kessel are horrible. Just kind of have to avoid them really unless you want to try to not misinterpret him.

In the end all the team can do is throw the money truck at him when the season is over.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I was watching Phaneuf interview from earlier today, and the stupidity of the reporters actually hurts.

Someone asked Phaneuf something like "Kessel won't negotiate during season, but you are fine with it. Why is it?"

I mean, can it get dumber than that. Isn't it obvious? Becuse Phaneuf has no problem negotiating during season you dumbass. :shakehead.

Instead, they should be asking Kessel why he doesn't want to negotiate. (As pro athlete, it is expected that they would negotiate during season.)

P.S.: I am not saying player A or B is better, but reporters need more common sense with their questions.

Disgruntled Observer*

Common sense would dictate that Phaneuf wants to negotiate in-season because he would like to stay.
Similarly, Kessel won't negotiate in-season because he doesn't want to stay. Especially when he says things like "Everyone loves free agency because you get to choose where you want to play".

Haha.
Really listen to those two facts.
Kessel WON'T negotiate in-season.
Then says he can't wait for free agency because "he can choose where to play".
It's pretty obvious whats happening.

Trade Kessel (if they can).
Sign Phaneuf.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I was watching Phaneuf interview from earlier today, and the stupidity of the reporters actually hurts.

Someone asked Phaneuf something like "Kessel won't negotiate during season, but you are fine with it. Why is it?"

I mean, can it get dumber than that. Isn't it obvious? Becuse Phaneuf has no problem negotiating during season you dumbass. :shakehead.

Instead, they should be asking Kessel why he doesn't want to negotiate. (As pro athlete, it is expected that they would negotiate during season.)

P.S.: I am not saying player A or B is better, but reporters need more common sense with their questions.

They're trying to create a storyline with those types of questions. Some can be manipulative.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
They're trying to create a storyline with those types of questions. Some can be manipulative.

The need to manufacture headlines and stories is beyond pathetic. It shows that the reporter is either too inexperienced or too lazy to actually find a story worth reporting. Instead, if he or she manipulates quotes in just this way and writes a story that can pull those quotes in a certain manner, then a "good" story arises.

Out of nothing.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Should say not every reporter reverts to that, just seems to be a few that pop up every few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad