TSN: Unlike Kessel, Leafs' Phaneuf open to in-season negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When the camera pans to the Leafs bench after a Kessel shift he often looks gassed and gasping for breath.

That suggests a certain level of fitness in and of itself.

Not really, suggests he's working hard.

You should be more concerned with guys coming to the bench looking fresh.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
When the camera pans to the Leafs bench after a Kessel shift he often looks gassed and gasping for breath.

You can't be serious with comments like these. I'd be more concerned about players who AREN'T out of breath after a shift. Either they're not trying hard enough or they're taking some form of PEDs. Have you even played a minute of organized hockey? I doubt you have an athletic bone in your body.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
Different scenario. Fletcher told Sundin the team was going in a new direction and taht the team didnt want him. Leafs as a team were on their way down, and Sundin was in his late 30s.

Compared to

Nonis is telling Phil he wants him to be part of the team longterm as a player to build around. Leafs as a team on the way up, and Phil as a player with a decade or more of hockey left.

Completely different situations.

That's what I was alluding to, so I'm not sure why you quoted me

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hopefully Dion and Elisha realize that they could live comfortably off her acting money, so Dion signs an 8 year contract worth $1.5 per to give Toronto the best team possible. Seems plausible to me. :P

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Those comments come off as a lot more encouraging to me than Kessel's comments about negotiating..

Durkin67

Those comments come off as a lot more encouraging to me than Kessel's comments about negotiating..

I commented recently in another thread which I am now unable to access that I think Kessel's apprehension is based on his wish to see some tangible improvements within the organization before re-signing. Six playoff games in four years must be disheartening. I think he'd like to stay, if the team proves that it is serious about winning. Nonis appears to be making moves to ensure they have a legit shot at advancing past round one. Better goaltending, more depth down the middle (Bolland) , and more grit and character in guys like Clarkson. If the Leafs had either Bolland or Clarky last season, they dont lose game 7.

If they can move the needle this season and make it to round 2, I think Kessel will stick around...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It was concerning to see Gardiner "gasping" on the bench last night. Perhaps he and Phil were training together?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
as does every other human being

Honestly, I feel a little gassed just looking at him on the bench. :laugh:

Kessel is a pretty max effort guy. Once he gets the puck he's going to want to breakout through that neutral zone and fly into the offensive zone. His explosive (to go along with his wrister from the circle) is his bread and butter.

Leafsin2014*

In this day and age, you have to spend cap dollars wisely. Phaneuf is a pretty good defenceman, but it may be time to cut bait with him rather than invest long term for huge dollars. He is not worth 7M long term.

With all the great young D we have coming, we need to make room for them. He doesn't carry the puck very well anymore, often coasting up ice and telegraphing his pass really obviously. We have better PP options. He's often intimidated by tough players and will play them soft. He has defensive brain farts too often. Is he a good leader? Rumours for years that he is not. His big open ice hits are few and far between. He won't take a lesser contract so is he worth the huge investment? With our D depth coming up, I don't think so. If the Leafs don't take another step this year something has to give and it could be Dion.

Do Gardiner and Rielly deserve top end minutes? Yes they will, and they should get them with defensive partners. Dion is not that, never has been. They'll both be better PP and PMD. We have better defenceman for the front of the net. While he's decent, he's simply not worth the cash and D is the one spot where we have big time depth coming up with high ceiling guys who should get the big minutes.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
In this day and age, you have to spend cap dollars wisely. Phaneuf is a pretty good defenceman, but it may be time to cut bait with him rather than invest long term for huge dollars. He is not worth 7M long term.

With all the great young D we have coming, we need to make room for them. He doesn't carry the puck very well anymore, often coasting up ice and telegraphing his pass really obviously. We have better PP options. He's often intimidated by tough players and will play them soft. He has defensive brain farts too often. Is he a good leader? Rumours for years that he is not. His big open ice hits are few and far between. He won't take a lesser contract so is he worth the huge investment? With our D depth coming up, I don't think so. If the Leafs don't take another step this year something has to give and it could be Dion.

Do Gardiner and Rielly deserve top end minutes? Yes they will, and they should get them with defensive partners. Dion is not that, never has been. They'll both be better PP and PMD. We have better defenceman for the front of the net. While he's decent, he's simply not worth the cash and D is the one spot where we have big time depth coming up with high ceiling guys who should get the big minutes.

Funny, mentioning all the minor errors he makes, just like any other D man, but no mention of what he does good.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010

It doesn't suggest that at all.

The times I've seen him winded on the bench is typically after scoring a goal, meaning he's putting in max effort out there and the results are coming as a result of it.

I'd be more concerned if he wasn't getting good results and never looked tired on the bench.

Leafsin2014*

Funny, mentioning all the minor errors he makes, just like any other D man, but no mention of what he does good.

You're right, there is plenty he does good, I think most people know those things. The problem is, those things are worth 4M, not 7M. If you invest in him long term, what do we do with all our D prospects that will be ready to take spots? Someone has to go. He's good at everything, not great. We will see this year, but if Gardiner, Ranger, Rielly show they're ready for big minutes (and even Franson if he signs), Dion is not worth it. We've also committed to Gunn, and have plenty of other bottom options.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, Kessel looking tired after shifts is what you want. Shows effort, not fitness.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hopefully Dion and Elisha realize that they could live comfortably off her acting money, so Dion signs an 8 year contract worth $1.5 per to give Toronto the best team possible. Seems plausible to me. :P

Please stand at the player's entrance at the ACC every home game and tell him that :laugh: :laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I didn't like Bozaks approach to being a UFA and I don't like Kessel's either. I like the player but honestly by this point I would have traded both Kessel and Bozak for more elite type power forward if possible.

Good for Dion I would extend him at the same money just for being cool about it all. I don't think he is worth 7.5 but hey maybe he is, I mean Clarkson got 5.2 and Dion is about 1000x more valuable of a player so.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I didn't like Bozaks approach to being a UFA and I don't like Kessel's either. I like the player but honestly by this point I would have traded both Kessel and Bozak for more elite type power forward if possible.

Good for Dion I would extend him at the same money just for being cool about it all. I don't think he is worth 7.5 but hey maybe he is, I mean Clarkson got 5.2 and Dion is about 1000x more valuable of a player so.

Let me tell you, if Kessel is traded this season, Bozak better be traded with him :laugh:

Leafsin2014*

Clarkson hasn't even played a game yet. I'd argue Dion is not 1000x more valuable when you have Rielly, Gardiner, Ranger as possible guys who should get more minutes.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let me tell you, if Kessel is traded this season, Bozak better be traded with him :laugh:

If it had to happen I would hope they both went together, though other teams probably cringe at the 4.2 Bozak would cost in cap.

If Bozie is shy of a 50 pt pace this year we lost that negotiation if he hits target great. I hope he hits 60 and Kessel 90 but hey.

Leafsin2014*

If it had to happen I would hope they both went together, though other teams probably cringe at the 4.2 Bozak would cost in cap.

If Bozie is shy of a 50 pt pace this year we lost that negotiation if he hits target great. I hope he hits 60 and Kessel 90 but hey.

Bozie should hit50 but keep in mind all his intangibles, very unselfish player, can play in all situations, great faceoffs, good team guy. On top of that, what other centre options are out there at his price who does all that and has chemistry with Kessel?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bozie should hit50 but keep in mind all his intangibles, very unselfish player, can play in all situations, great faceoffs, good team guy. On top of that, what other centre options are out there at his price who does all that and has chemistry with Kessel?

It is what it is just hope he doesn't take the got the contract don't have to try attitude. He ha been lousy so far but it's preseason and means very little.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Why would we trade Kessel for a power forward? We have like 2 1/2 power forwards in our top 6 already (I count Lupul has half a power forward. He goes to the net, and into the corners, but can also shoot like the best of em).

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

You are correct. Phaneuf is good, but, not great. He should not be paid a dime over 6.5 million and probably should be paid around 5 million at most.

I want Phaneuf on our Leafs. I just don't want him as our #1.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why would we trade Kessel for a power forward? We have like 2 1/2 power forwards in our top 6 already (I count Lupul has half a power forward. He goes to the net, and into the corners, but can also shoot like the best of em).

I like him but his comments make me Leary that he would stay. I am certain he is why we signed Bozak for top dollar and I just am not a fan of doing business like that.

I like power forwards. It's a style thing I suppose, nothing against Kessel he is awesome.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Bozak scored 47 points in his last full season, was on pace to score 50 this season.

How is a ~50 point center who wins faceoffs, plays on the PK, is good defensively NOT worth 4.2M? Bozak is quite easily worth his contract. It's one of the better deals the Leafs have signed in the last 5 years.

I don't get some of you people. Matt Read just signed a 3.725M contract and Bozak is a better player than Read and they are both 27 years old.

Bozak ranked 44th in scoring amongst all centers. That's middle of pack #2C scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad