Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There has been a bunch with varying degrees of success. Post #959 has a list of current UDFA that have been signed. There's a few pretty good ones on the list, and some that were good at one time. Most of them seem to be solid placeholders or depth guys.
Mike Johnson had a decent 661 game career, these guys are few and far between though

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Good signing for the leafs. Won’t be a star but a good depth player down the line.

black-girl.gif

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Still wonder what we're doing since Gorton said that they were mostly concentrating on UFA now.....with nothing to show for yet. Not even for Laval.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Still wonder what we're doing since Gorton said that they were mostly concentrating on UFA now.....with nothing to show for yet. Not even for Laval.

Making offers without putting a gun to the UFA's head and forcing them to sign here.

Most of the college free agents sign with contenders who have a limited prospect pool.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Making offers without putting a gun to the UFA's head and forcing them to sign here.

Most of the college free agents sign with contenders who have a limited prospect pool.
As anything, you still need to show results. Besides, as a player you still can sign with a team no matter the prospect pool, make a name out of yourself and forces the team hand whether by playing you or trading you.

anyway, if it's already set in stone that we don't have the right environment...why concentrate on that then? If the best will sign elsewhere, pretty sure we don't need the fillers too...I guess we will see.

But players that are signed at 24 year old...not sure why the quality of the prospect pool is relevant though.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
How the hell does Toronto have cap space??? Don’t they have a ridiculous amount of money tied up in 4 forwards?? I remember when we had Price and Weber and didn’t have 2 nickels to rub together. Yet somehow Toronto and the Rangers always have cap space?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As anything, you still need to show results. Besides, as a player you still can sign with a team no matter the prospect pool, make a name out of yourself and forces the team hand whether by playing you or trading you.

anyway, if it's already set in stone that we don't have the right environment...why concentrate on that then? If the best will sign elsewhere, pretty sure we don't need the fillers too...I guess we will see.

But players that are signed at 24 year old...not sure why the quality of the prospect pool is relevant though.

They have few contract slots to give out at the NHL level, so that's a disadvantage for them as other teams will have more reserve slots and can offer an ELC where we may only be able to offer an AHL deal.

And yes, players could - but if you're american, and you are trying to find a way to the NHL, Montreal isn't a number one destination and then you've got limited opportunities due to the current roster not having much flexibility, and a litany of other prospects in the AHL with more coming.

And they're still going to try, it's just easy to see why we very likely won't be signing any of the big name free agents and may not get any at all. You still go out and see if there's an opportunity there.

Finally players that are signed at 24, the quality of the prospect pool is relevant because they'll get chances they otherwise wouldn't. Toronto doesn't have many call up options out of their drafted players, so Quillian becomes an option quickly. In Montreal, he may not get the call over a Simoneau, a Farrell, a Condotta, a Gignac, next year a Mesar, a Beck, etc.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Why would a college free agent sign with a team in 6th last? And they aren’t pursuing FA with 7 games left. I’m sure he meant in the summer.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How the hell does Toronto have cap space??? Don’t they have a ridiculous amount of money tied up in 4 forwards?? I remember when we had Price and Weber and didn’t have 2 nickels to rub together. Yet somehow Toronto and the Rangers always have cap space?

To sign an ELC? Those guys only count if they are on their active roster, it'd be buried by the blanket coverage of an NHL contract being put in the AHL.. and if they do play, it'd be massively pro-rated.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Gorton didn't say they're mostly concentrating on UFA now. He said they were looking at some college UFA's when he spoke to McGuire and Murphy on their podcast. But he never said they're mostly concentrating on that.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
To sign an ELC? Those guys only count if they are on their active roster, it'd be buried by the blanket coverage of an NHL contract being put in the AHL.. and if they do play, it'd be massively pro-rated.
For the record, Quillian goes to the AHL on a tryout this year. So I think the same avenue as Struble?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Unless Hughes thinks he can make some room, they won't have a lot of contract spots to give out once they sign Hutson, Tuch, Engstrom, Davidson, plus you have Kapanen, and a decision to make on Xhekaj, plus Pitlick I assume turns pro with someone if not us. There's also Tourigny, Guindon, Nurmi, Sobolev who I guess they don't give any NHL contracts but who knows what their plans are. I guess they aren't interested in Alexander Gordin, he doesn't have a contract for any team next year and he had a career year at 22 years old but in the minors. Plus he doesn't have the speed/skating that Hughes seems to want.

Smilanic is the one prospect I would say 100% we don't sign to any contract, NHL or AHL.

Smilanic really fell off a cliff after Quinnipiac. Wouldn't have guessed he would be the least valuable part of that trade.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He would get immediate ice time in Montreal though I doubt the Habs are in the running.
You never know. I believe Gorton said something along the lines of how successful franchises always add these types of players. Maybe the Habs can make that low bar to entry argument on a team that should be competitive in two years and one of these free agents bites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad