Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
@montreal @Goldenhands @WeThreeKings and others who follow junior leagues

Would you offer an AHL or 2 way contract to Xavier Parent? From what I've watched of the Sherbrooke Phoenix, he's really driving that line. Roy obviously racks up the points, but Parent is no stranger to Roy's season. Not to diminish Roy's credit for his season, because obviously, Parent would not have as many points without him either.

Anyway, I know that Parent's early days in the QMJHL have been disappointing. I'm also aware that this is his 20 years old season. The guy is from the north shore of Montreal, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to play in Laval. I'm not sure if there is any parallel to trace with Alex Barre-Boulet back in 2018, but although he hasn't established himself in the NHL, he has put up good numbers in the AHL. It would also allow Roy to possibly play with a familiar face when he joins Laval after next season; one with whom he's dominated the league for a whole season.

I do admit, I have a soft spot for Xavier Parent because I watched him and Sam Poulin when they were kids because my cousin is the same age as them and played in Blainville like them.

Anyway, I'd just like to know what you guys think. Am I making any sense at all, or am I completely out to lunch?
I'd maybe sign him to the ECHL squad and see if he can work his way up

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Would you offer an AHL or 2 way contract to Xavier Parent? From what I've watched of the Sherbrooke Phoenix, he's really driving that line. Roy obviously racks up the points, but Parent is no stranger to Roy's season. Not to diminish Roy's credit for his season, because obviously, Parent would not have as many points without him either.

Anyway, I know that Parent's early days in the QMJHL have been disappointing. I'm also aware that this is his 20 years old season. The guy is from the north shore of Montreal, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to play in Laval. I'm not sure if there is any parallel to trace with Alex Barre-Boulet back in 2018, but although he hasn't established himself in the NHL, he has put up good numbers in the AHL. It would also allow Roy to possibly play with a familiar face when he joins Laval after next season; one with whom he's dominated the league for a whole season.

I do admit, I have a soft spot for Xavier Parent because I watched him and Sam Poulin when they were kids because my cousin is the same age as them and played in Blainville like them.

Anyway, I'd just like to know what you guys think. Am I making any sense at all, or am I completely out to lunch?
I don't see a harm in offering him an AHL contract with the obvious understanding he could play in the ECHL as well.

Do I think there's a NHL player there? No, probably not but he's a character kid with some talent and jam at his size.

Fun fact, I ran into him at a McDonald's the day after he was drafted by the Mooseheads. Was one in New Brunswick close to the Quebec border.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

He'd be a fine candidate for a AHL/ECHL two way deal, if he's open to it. I'm all for stacking our farm teams with local guys who are genuinely happy to be there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

A ECHL/AHL deal ? Yes, he could be a good player for TR and he could be reunited with Roy in 2 years if he progress well. Fun fact, he was dominant when he was really young and was sees as the next superstar.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Parent should definitely be a candidate for an AHL deal. Could replace Cédric Desruisseaux down in TR. I'm still not sure why they traded him away (especially for a guy the refused to report).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Adam Michaels

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Struble's teammate, Justin Hryckowian a local kid with 3 goals in 6 games so far. Might be someone to keep an eye on, liked him last year, he had some injury problems and still only 3 players on the team had more points.

Reactions: Nevins

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Owen Savory was signed to a PTO last year with Laval, but never played. He was also invited to the Habs' development camp this summer. He now signs a PTO with Rockford.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
would not be surprised if the Habs sign Hutson's older brother, he's 2 months older then Tuch, nice start to the season for him although like his brother he's not tall.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Looks interesting. Flew under the radar due to Covid (and not doing great in his draft year (2021))

would not be surprised if the Habs sign Hutson's older brother, he's 2 months older then Tuch, nice start to the season for him although like his brother he's not tall.

At least he's 5'11, so not too bad.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
something to perhaps keep an eye on, undrafted FA goalie TJ Semptimphelter is putting up impressive #'s so far at ASU. He's 20 and 6'1 so not sure if he's tall enough, but Hughes/MSL will know him since he played at NU last year as the backup to Levi. I liked what I saw last year and so far now that he's the starter it's going well for him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Struble's teammate, Justin Hryckowian a local kid with 3 goals in 6 games so far. Might be someone to keep an eye on, liked him last year, he had some injury problems and still only 3 players on the team had more points.

He's really having a great start to the season, leads the team in goals, tied for 2nd in points.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ryan McAllister is burning up the NCAA, he leads in points and ppg (over Farrell who's 2nd in the NCAA). what a year for the Freshman.

Hryckowian is also have a really nice year and we know Hughes will know him well.

Among the goalies there's the local kid Yaniv Perets though his numbers while great have dropped from last year. His team plays a very good defensive game and the ECAC outside of Harvard looks weak.

There's UMass goalie Luke Pavicich who's putting up very impressive numbers so far.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

I was wondering if McAllister could be signed by an AHL team after his season, or he’d have to wait after his 4 years since he wasn’t drafted?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was wondering if McAllister could be signed by an AHL team after his season, or he’d have to wait after his 4 years since he wasn’t drafted?

he can sign with an NHL or AHL team whenever he wants, just if he does he will be done in the NCAA. He's a 20 year old Freshman, so I don't know if he would want to turn pro this off-season or go back for another year, but with the way he's crushing it so far, if I were him I would turn pro as it would be hard to top these numbers he's putting up.

Reactions: Nevins and SlafySZN

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
something to perhaps keep an eye on, undrafted FA goalie TJ Semptimphelter is putting up impressive #'s so far at ASU. He's 20 and 6'1 so not sure if he's tall enough, but Hughes/MSL will know him since he played at NU last year as the backup to Levi. I liked what I saw last year and so far now that he's the starter it's going well for him.

And does anyone know more about Luke Pavicich. He is the leader in save percentage in the NCAA. 20 years old, 6´3´´

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If anyone watches Harvard tonight, the 2 players to look out for from Quinnipiac are the goalie Yaniv Perets and Collin Graf, who in his 2 years so far in the NCAA has put up 51 pts in 57 games so might be someone of interest despite not having much room in Laval next year I'm guessing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad