Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Stat watching right now:
Oliwer Kaski at eliteprospects.com

I've seen Kaski mentioned on another team's fan forum:

..., please take notice:

There's this Finnish dman, Oliwer Kaski. He's a smooth skating, offensive minded 6'3'' RHD, only 23 years old. Has a pretty good slap shot, too. He's really good, perhaps too good for Liiga already. Kaski would still be young enough to be eligible for ELC...

Kaski hails from the same hometown as KK.

Do we know why he remains available?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Look at his development curve in the last 3 seasons, the guy emerged from out of nowhere. Definitely a late bloomer, the jury is still out on any NHL potential IMO.

Reactions: Runner77

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Should try to sign Jimmy Schuldt.
If he does well in training camp, he could start the year on our bottom pairing
I hope Poehling recruits him to come with him to Montreal. He's already been to a Montreal training camp and put on a Habs jersey so it's clear he'd be willing to come here.

IMG_0698.0.jpg

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I hope Poehling recruits him to come with him to Montreal. He's already been to a Montreal training camp and put on a Habs jersey so it's clear he'd be willing to come here.

IMG_0698.0.jpg

To be fair, he was at Vegas' camp last off-season. So Vegas may reach out to him. And we know other teams will, as well. One thing that works in Habs' favor is Poehling.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To be fair, he was at Vegas' camp last off-season. So Vegas may reach out to him. And we know other teams will, as well. One thing that works in Habs' favor is Poehling.

Best strategy is to offer Poehling and Schuldt at least one reg. season game this year, so they can burn off a year of their ELC. I'm sure all teams will offer it though. Maybe get Poehling to sign as soon as eligible so we don't get into a Good Will Butchering game. Sign Poehling's putz brothers too, if it helps attract Schuldt. Whatever it takes, we need to win one of these undrafted quality players.

We have the best calling card for Schuldt -- there is a quick path to the NHL given what this team's LHD contingent looks like. Allow him a shot at the team in October.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Having seen a pretty good amount of him over the last 4 years, I can't say I'm 100% sold on Schuldt as a pro talent ( @montreal is in the same boat as well IIRC) . An ELC isn't a big risk to take though so if he's interested I'd have no problem trying it. You can't have too much depth in your prospect pool.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched UMD vs Denver last night, undrafted goalie Hunter Shepard looked pretty good and is having a great season. He's a junior but turns 24 a month into next season so I could certainly see him turning pro this summer and he's already won a National Championship. If we don't sign Harvey, I could see us looking for another goalie and there are a few in the NCAA to look at.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Kaski went from 0.32 ppg last year to 0.82 ppg (first in scoring for D by 8 pts) this year. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of NHL interest this summer.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
watched UMD vs Denver last night, undrafted goalie Hunter Shepard looked pretty good and is having a great season. He's a junior but turns 24 a month into next season so I could certainly see him turning pro this summer and he's already won a National Championship. If we don't sign Harvey, I could see us looking for another goalie and there are a few in the NCAA to look at.

How'd Demin look?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Any interest in Oliwer Kaski from Liiga?

Undrafted, 6’3 RH D man. 23yrs old.

Leading D-man scoring with 15goals and 41pts in 50 games.

Can’t say I’ve had the opportunity to watch him but I’m hearing his game has progressed quite a bit. I’d be interested in taking a stab at him given the Finnish element to our core of players, he could be a good fit on the 3rd pair and as a PP option on the 2nd pair.

If he pans out he could make one of our RD prospects a very viable trade chip..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Any interest in Oliwer Kaski from Liiga?

Undrafted, 6’3 RH D man. 23yrs old.

Leading D-man scoring with 15goals and 41pts in 50 games.

Can’t say I’ve had the opportunity to watch him but I’m hearing his game has progressed quite a bit. I’d be interested in taking a stab at him given the Finnish element to our core of players, he could be a good fit on the 3rd pair and as a PP option on the 2nd pair.

If he pans out he could make one of our RD prospects a very viable trade chip..

I've posted about Kaski several times. What's the first opportunity that he can be signed?

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dobber prospects:

Observations

February 2019 – Kaski is a 23-year-old defenseman who is having an amazing season in the Finnish Liiga. He switched teams over the summer, going from HIFK to Pelicans, which has led to a massive breakout season for him. He leads the entire league in shots, and he leads all defensemen in goals and points by a wide margin. He’s an offensive defenseman who loves to join the rush. He has a great shot, he likes to use it a lot, and he shoots from the right side which is always valuable. He’s especially dangerous on the power play where his shot, vision and passing skills get to truly shine. At 6-foot-3, Kaski has great size as well but he’s not very physical. One great part about his game is that he doesn’t take a lot of penalties. He needs to improve his decision-making to avoid unnecessary risks, and there’s room for improvement in his defensive game as well. Even though he has been used on the penalty kill, he’s not the type of player coaches want to use on their top unit.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Dobber prospects:

Observations

February 2019 – Kaski is a 23-year-old defenseman who is having an amazing season in the Finnish Liiga. He switched teams over the summer, going from HIFK to Pelicans, which has led to a massive breakout season for him. He leads the entire league in shots, and he leads all defensemen in goals and points by a wide margin. He’s an offensive defenseman who loves to join the rush. He has a great shot, he likes to use it a lot, and he shoots from the right side which is always valuable. He’s especially dangerous on the power play where his shot, vision and passing skills get to truly shine. At 6-foot-3, Kaski has great size as well but he’s not very physical. One great part about his game is that he doesn’t take a lot of penalties. He needs to improve his decision-making to avoid unnecessary risks, and there’s room for improvement in his defensive game as well. Even though he has been used on the penalty kill, he’s not the type of player coaches want to use on their top unit.

Otto Leskinen has also had a great season this year, but obviously nothing compared to Kaski's. He looked pretty interesting at the habs development cap last sumer, and I'd like to see us take a run at him as well.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Otto Leskinen has also had a great season this year, but obviously nothing compared to Kaski's. He looked pretty interesting at the habs development cap last sumer, and I'd like to see us take a run at him as well.

Didn't realize he was at the Habs's development camp last summer. I hope it gives us an edge.

Where do you see Schuldt going? Do we have a shot?

Jul 6, 2016
I duno if Grigorenko would be interested to come back at NHL level ? He is just 24 and he is having a very good season in the KHL.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Didn't realize he was at the Habs's development camp last summer. I hope it gives us an edge.

Where do you see Schuldt going? Do we have a shot?

I don't know anything about Schuldt. We invited another NCAA guy who also impressed at our camp last year: Cam Lee. His skating really impressed me during the summer.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've posted about Kaski several times. What's the first opportunity that he can be signed?

Any time from March on, he's under contract one more year so the NHL team would just have to buyout his last year or they could do like we did with Engqvist, sign him and let him play one more year in the SHL and then come over (liiga in this case) it would count against the 50 but no biggie.

I don't know anything about Schuldt. We invited another NCAA guy who also impressed at our camp last year: Cam Lee. His skating really impressed me during the summer.

I would sign Lee over Schuldt. Taro Hirose is likely the guy I'd sign over any of them, slick hands for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad