Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We should draft Justin Brazeau. Kind of an awkward skater, but he's huge and has amazing hands.

Can't we just sign him as a free agent? Find out what he can do in Laval sooner rather than later. He is at 2 ppg as an overager in the OHL, what's the point for him staying there?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Can't we just sign him as a free agent? Find out what he can do in Laval sooner rather than later. He is at 2 ppg as an overager in the OHL, what's the point for him staying there?

He's doing that while being 6'6. Yes, it's his final years, but he'll likely finish this season then take the best contract that will likely see him play sooner. So, very likely a team that isn't all that deep.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I coulda swore I said sign, that's why I posted it in here but I guess not. Yeah he's no longer draft eligible.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's doing that while being 6'6. Yes, it's his final years, but he'll likely finish this season then take the best contract that will likely see him play sooner. So, very likely a team that isn't all that deep.

We're not that deep in goal scorers. Can't we offer him immediate good minutes in Laval with the chance to make the NHL next year or the year after? This is an undrafted guy, he might jump at the opportunity.

My question was, are we allowed to sign a CHL guy during the year if he is overage?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think it gives us an edge but he did attend our camp so at least it shows we were interested in him but he wanted to return for a chance to win a national championship.

Schuldt should have plenty of suitors:

Jimmy Schuldt is a rare 100-point defenseman
St. Cloud State captain Jimmy Schuldt has eclipsed the 100-point mark as a defenseman -- a rarity in college hockey.
Only eight defensemen in the last six seasons have eclipsed 100 points in their careers: Schuldt, Quinnipiac’s Chase Priske (a senior), Notre Dame’s Jordan Gross, Denver’s Will Butcher, St. Lawrence’s Gavin Bayreuther, Denver’s Joey LaLeggia, Bentley’s Steve Weinstein and Union’s Mat Bodie.
Schuldt has six goals and 19 points in 22 games this season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mentioned free agent Tye Felhaber in an earlier post. He has shown no signs of slowing down:

Ottawa 67’s forward Tye Felhaber is producing goals at a rate not seen in the Ontario Hockey League in well over a decade.

The 20-year-old started the season strong and has yet to cool off, scoring in back-to-back games last weekend to get to 48 goals in only 45 games. ...

Felhaber has watched two NHL drafts pass by him with no team calling his name. He scored an amateur tryout contract at the end of last season from the Montreal Canadiens and played four games with their American Hockey League team in Laval, Que., but nothing came of it.

His performance this season, though, has caught the attention of teams around the NHL.

"A lot of teams have reached out and talked with me and my agent Andy Scott
… we’re just in the process of discussing the best option," Felhaber said. "A team that wants me but a good fit and has lots of opportunity.

Ottawa 67's Tye Felhaber scoring goals at a pace not seen in years - Sportsnet.ca

We had him in our backyard and at least gave him a tryout. I wonder if we have a good shot at him. The guy even has the the word "Hab" included in his name. :sarcasm:

And now, he's notched his 50th:

Last edited:

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Mentioned free agent Tye Felhaber in an earlier post. He has shown no signs of slowing down:

Ottawa 67’s forward Tye Felhaber is producing goals at a rate not seen in the Ontario Hockey League in well over a decade.

The 20-year-old started the season strong and has yet to cool off, scoring in back-to-back games last weekend to get to 48 goals in only 45 games. ...

Felhaber has watched two NHL drafts pass by him with no team calling his name. He scored an amateur tryout contract at the end of last season from the Montreal Canadiens and played four games with their American Hockey League team in Laval, Que., but nothing came of it.

His performance this season, though, has caught the attention of teams around the NHL.

… we’re just in the process of discussing the best option," Felhaber said. "A team that wants me but a good fit and has lots of opportunity.

Ottawa 67's Tye Felhaber scoring goals at a pace not seen in years - Sportsnet.ca

We had him in our backyard and at least gave him a tryout. I wonder if we have a good shot at him. The guy even has the the word "Hab" included in his name. :sarcasm:

Yes, he's accomplished a historic feat and is probably worth an NHL contract but I don't think he does anything spectacular to become a legit NHL player. Maybe more a depth player that can contribute in the AHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Schuldt should have plenty of suitors:

Jimmy Schuldt is a rare 100-point defenseman
St. Cloud State captain Jimmy Schuldt has eclipsed the 100-point mark as a defenseman -- a rarity in college hockey.
Only eight defensemen in the last six seasons have eclipsed 100 points in their careers: Schuldt, Quinnipiac’s Chase Priske (a senior), Notre Dame’s Jordan Gross, Denver’s Will Butcher, St. Lawrence’s Gavin Bayreuther, Denver’s Joey LaLeggia, Bentley’s Steve Weinstein and Union’s Mat Bodie.
Schuldt has six goals and 19 points in 22 games this season.

he had several interested NHL teams last year so I'm sure he'll get an NHL contract from someone.

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not sure about Lizotte, but I know Poehling's most often winger, Robby Jackson was at camp with Schuldt. He's undersized but has a hell of a wrist shot, from what I understand they are good friends so I'm hoping we sign him as I think it would help the transition for Poehling. Up until this year they played a lot together.

That's who I meant to talk about. Jackson, not Lizotte. Thanks.

Reactions: montreal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

I’m usually all over the NCAA free agents, but there are three 23-year-olds from Canadian universities to watch this winter. Primary among them is Luke Philp, a 23-year-old centre for the Alberta Golden Bears. Philp played five WHL seasons for Kootenay and Red Deer. Both Calgary and Edmonton have taken a look. Only negative: He attends Bob Stauffer’s favourite school.

Two others who might get an AHL shot are Jason Fram and Mark Simpson. Fram, a defenceman who plays with Philp, has brief minor-pro experience — eight games with AHL San Jose and ECHL Allen. He played five years with WHL Spokane. Simpson, a centre, is in his second season at the University of New Brunswick. He spent four years in the QMJHL with Moncton and Acadie-Bathurst.

Anything to see here, from a Habs's perspective?

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
From Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

I’m usually all over the NCAA free agents, but there are three 23-year-olds from Canadian universities to watch this winter. Primary among them is Luke Philp, a 23-year-old centre for the Alberta Golden Bears. Philp played five WHL seasons for Kootenay and Red Deer. Both Calgary and Edmonton have taken a look. Only negative: He attends Bob Stauffer’s favourite school.

Two others who might get an AHL shot are Jason Fram and Mark Simpson. Fram, a defenceman who plays with Philp, has brief minor-pro experience — eight games with AHL San Jose and ECHL Allen. He played five years with WHL Spokane. Simpson, a centre, is in his second season at the University of New Brunswick. He spent four years in the QMJHL with Moncton and Acadie-Bathurst.

Anything to see here, from a Habs's perspective?
Actually have a class with Mark, can ask him on Friday and see if he's gotten interest from any team

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
What do you mean?

Elliott Friedman mentions 3 players he likes in Canadian University hockey, and of course one of our members on this Board, You, know one of the guys. Just saying that there are Habs fans from this Board under every nook and cranny basically anywhere on the planet and they send back intel, to us, the Collective.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Elliott Friedman mentions 3 players he likes in Canadian University hockey, and of course one of our members on this Board, You, know one of the guys. Just saying that there are Habs fans from this Board under every nook and cranny basically anywhere on the planet and they send back intel, to us, the Collective.
See what you're saying now! It's quite fascinating

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder if there will be interest in Olofsson's teammate and sometimes linemate Henrik Tornqvist. He's 22 RW and having a breakout year. In his 4 years in the SHL before this season he had only 37 pts total, he's got 24 already this year. Good speed, skating, works hard, leds his team in assists, tied for team lead in points. I know plus minus is a terrible stat but in his case there's only 3 plus players on the team and he's one of them, while the other 2 have played only 12 and 22 games to his 36.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

dallas gets him.

Dallas Stars land high-scoring free-agent prospect Tye...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
finally got to see what is likely going to be one of the best undrafted NCAA FA's, Taro Hirose. He leads the NCAA in assists and points, and is not on a very good team at Michigan St. He's a bit skinny but good playmaker and vision. Could stand to get stronger for sure, quicker would help but was very impressed with the passing and vision. He scored a beauty as well right in the slot picking the top corner. Got to think many NHL teams will be in on him.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I actually much prefer Brazeau out of the OHL FA's, I think his game has a better chance to translate at the next level. He's gotten better and more complete every year and he's had to do a lot more since his team is pretty bad all around. I'd have no issues taking a chance on him, I really think he could become an Armia-type jumbo winger with good hands.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad