Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If we are looking to bring over a Russian UFA to help Romanov transition to the NHL, perhaps Dmitrij Jaskin as it's rumored that he has offers from 2 NHL teams. He's crushing the KHL this year but plays with Shipachyov as they are 1-2 in points in the league.

Jul 6, 2016
If we are looking to bring over a Russian UFA to help Romanov transition to the NHL, perhaps Dmitrij Jaskin as it's rumored that he has offers from 2 NHL teams. He's crushing the KHL this year but plays with Shipachyov as they are 1-2 in points in the league.

Why not just keep Kovalchuk ?

Jul 6, 2016
he may want out, but if he wants to re-sign then so be it. But he also seems to be slowing down, just 2 pts in the last 8, 0 in the last 5.

He is possibly slowing down because the rest of the team just lose their wheels (???) and CJ is clearly out of solutions and answers. Heartbraking losses vs Anaheim, Minny and Detroit were the final nails in the coffin.

Reactions: montreal

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Could you mention a few of the more notable names from the article? I'm just a poor university researcher with a family to feed and the wife is gonna kill me if I spend money on yet another paying subscription to fuel my sports addiction :(

The read is great though. I suggest you find a way to buy that...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yet, no ECHL team. Some rookies coming next year, Habs will not do the absolutely best to improve as an organization. Let's hope Trois-Rivières happens freakin soon.

Reactions: Vachon23

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
we likely need a 5th goalie if they don't keep LaCouvee but one guy I would try and sign is Caufield's teammate Roman Ahcan. He's only a Sophmore so it's up to him if he wants to turn pro or not. Yes he's undersized but what a hard worker and tough.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
The Hockey News just released an article about 10 European free agents that could be signed this summer for anyone that is interested. Mikhail Grigorenko C, Artyom Zub D, Julius Nattinen C, Pius Suter C, Johannes Kinnvall D, Dmitrij Jaskin RW, Alexander Barabanov RW, Nikita Nesterov D, Timur Bilyalov G, and Alexey Marchenko D. Write ups for each player are on their website.

Ten European free agents who could land NHL deals this summer - TheHockeyNews

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Hockey News just released an article about 10 European free agents that could be signed this summer for anyone that is interested. Mikhail Grigorenko C, Artyom Zub D, Julius Nattinen C, Pius Suter C, Johannes Kinnvall D, Dmitrij Jaskin RW, Alexander Barabanov RW, Nikita Nesterov D, Timur Bilyalov G, and Alexey Marchenko D. Write ups for each player are on their website.

Former Habs pick Nattinen?

He who was once famously and randomly called up for 1 NHL game vs the Leafs, lost a faceoff and was never seen or heard from again.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I know a little bit about Kinnwall, he came from Timra when they got demoted in 2019 to HV71 in SHL this season and he has been really good for HV71. He has 38 points in 46 games as a right D for HV71 and he tops their internal points including forwards, they currently are in the 6th place among the seeded 1-6 teams that will go straight to the quarter finals with 5 games left to play. He's 22 years old and according to Swedish media several NHL teams have shown interest. He attended the Flames camp last year but the current season is where he made his biggest strides. Given that he is not very big (6 ft 185 lbs) I doubt the Habs are interested.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Former Habs pick Nattinen?

He who was once famously and randomly called up for 1 NHL game vs the Leafs, lost a faceoff and was never seen or heard from again.

That was Joonas Nattinen.

Julius is his younger brother (by 6 years) that was drafted by Anaheim, played 55 AHL games (12 points) in 2017-2018 and went back to Finland. Went from 23pts in 41 games in 2018-2019 to 52 in 50 games in 2019-2020.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Julius is his younger brother (by 6 years) that was drafted by Anaheim, played 55 AHL games (12 points) in 2017-2018 and went back to Finland. Went from 23pts in 41 games in 2018-2019 to 52 in 50 games in 2019-2020.
Got it!

Thanks

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
NCAA FA are starting to sign.

Khodorenko to NYR.
Drew O'Connor to Penguins.
Jerad Rosburg to Dallas.

Jul 6, 2016

Could he be a good option for Habs ?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
with many conferences in the NCAA starting their playoffs this weekend, this thread will pick up although I don't think the Habs will be very active since they are limited in spots on the 50 depending on their plans for other players.

Friday Five: NHL teams turn focus to top NCAA free agents - TSN.ca

Yea. I think Habs will focus on their own drafted players before they turn to undrafted ones. Just a guess. But with Ylönen surely signing his ELC in the off-season. The Habs surely saving a spot for Romanov should he come over. Signing at least one of the four 2018 CHL draftees. Then depending on what Harris and Caufield choose to do (turn pro or remain in NCAA for next yer).

Those are 5 potential ELC's signed in one off-season.

I think one undrafted player they may sign that has been rumored to be on Habs' radar is Okulov.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Could you mention a few of the more notable names from the article? I'm just a poor university researcher with a family to feed and the wife is gonna kill me if I spend money on yet another paying subscription to fuel my sports addiction :(

You should cancel the rest and go with The Athletic. It’s the cream of the crop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad