Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

Doxinoctae

Dec 16, 2018
Where's that Walrus-filling-net meme when you need it?
not tha one but needed to be admired by all :P
theres-a-bucket-in-mah-bucket-bucketception

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I know he's not undrafted, but:

I see him more as a AHL/ECHL depth player at the pro level but I'd be open to giving him a deal if Montreal is on his list. He's a solid character type, I'm sure Bouchard would love him in Laval. Just don't get fooled by his numbers this season, it's not really his game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
we really don't have room for Shea, I'm not a big fan. I really liked Davies and would have liked if we traded for him, solid pickup by Nashville and a good pick by NJ.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Even weirder that he was drafted by the Coyotes that chose to let him go. There has to be to be something wrong with him.

It's similar to Justin Brazeau. His last year in the O he put up really nice stats and he is 6'5 and a very nice skater for that size, but only got the same deal as Hoefenmayer. Meanwhile, Curtis Douglas, who's 6'8, a little slow, but still solid skating for his size got drafted in his draft year. Not sure if he'll get signed as his numbers aren't the best, but you never know

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Okulov is staying in the KHL.

Sad, but not really surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if the KHL returned to normal before the NHL. They are also one of the rich KHL club, so he probably got a decent salary. Also being closer to home if shit hits the fan (or just in general) is probably a plus.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
With the Hawel AHL deal and multiple CHL FA signed all over the place, let's revive this thread. Here are some high scoring guys that have yet to commit somewhere (some are still draft eligible, but doubt that they get drafted):

QMJHL:
Cédric Paré at eliteprospects.com
Yegor Sokolov at eliteprospects.com
Darien Kielb at eliteprospects.com

WHL:
Zane Franklin at eliteprospects.com
Eli Zummack at eliteprospects.com
Orrin Centazzo at eliteprospects.com
Brett Kemp at eliteprospects.com

OHL:
Brett Neumann at eliteprospects.com

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With the Hawel AHL deal and multiple CHL FA signed all over the place, let's revive this thread. Here are some high scoring guys that have yet to commit somewhere (some are still draft eligible, but doubt that they get drafted):

QMJHL:
Cédric Paré at eliteprospects.com
Yegor Sokolov at eliteprospects.com
Darien Kielb at eliteprospects.com

WHL:
Zane Franklin at eliteprospects.com
Eli Zummack at eliteprospects.com
Orrin Centazzo at eliteprospects.com
Brett Kemp at eliteprospects.com

OHL:
Brett Neumann at eliteprospects.com

I don't know all of them. But I do know Sokolov is still draft eligible this year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He is, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes undrafted. Definitely worth an AHL deal if he doesn't bolt to Russia though.

Two players who haven't been drafted so far and are still eligible that I would absolutely love for Habs/Rocket to sign (whether ELC or AHL deal) are Sokolov and Gogolev.

And like they did with RHP and Kisamutdinov last year, I wouldn't mind them using one of their many picks on those two players only to get them in the system.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
I would draft Sokolov. I liked him at the world juniors. As for Zane Franklin I watched a lot of him because I went to a lot of Blazers games this year and last. He was a great captain and leader. He is short but a pretty stocky guy. He reminds me of Max Domi where he is a skilled player but also a huge pest and will stand up to anyone. He causes a lot of sh*t out on the ice, very fun to watch. I’d be happy if we signed him(could be because I’m bias)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Brandon Saigeon, technically he isn't undrafted. He was selected in the 5th Round in 2018 by Colorado. Last year, the Avs signed him to an AHL deal because he was eligible to turn pro and they still held his rights for another year.

He spent the entire season in the ECHL, putting up 18 pts in 51 GP. His first year in the pros didn't go exactly as hoped.

Colorado lost his rights yesterday as he wasn't signed. He isn't eligible to re-enter the draft. Colorado hasn't re-signed him to an AHL yet, if they do at all.

He is a 6'2" and 201 lbs center and played with Will Bitten in Hamilton before being traded to Oshawa in his final year of Junior.

I wouldn't mind signing him to an AHL deal if he remains available.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Brandon Saigeon, technically he isn't undrafted. He was selected in the 5th Round in 2018 by Colorado. Last year, the Avs signed him to an AHL deal because he was eligible to turn pro and they still held his rights for another year.

He spent the entire season in the ECHL, putting up 18 pts in 51 GP. His first year in the pros didn't go exactly as hoped.

Colorado lost his rights yesterday as he wasn't signed. He isn't eligible to re-enter the draft. Colorado hasn't re-signed him to an AHL yet, if they do at all.

He is a 6'2" and 201 lbs center and played with Will Bitten in Hamilton before being traded to Oshawa in his final year of Junior.

I wouldn't mind signing him to an AHL deal if he remains available.

I saw a bit of him while watching Bitten, one of the Habs current scouts has worked for Hamilton in different roles for several years now so he will know the player well. Would be better if we had our own ECHL team to control his TOI but we'll see if they are interested or not.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So it looks like the next big NCAA FA to fight over will be David Farrance, as it sounds like he is going to return to BU for his Senior year and rumors suggest he wants to be a FA next summer instead of signing with Nashville, we should hear more about it next year. He had a great year, top scoring D in the NCAA, led his team in points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad