Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's getting really old and tiring hearing the list of excuses of why the Habs can't sign any fee agent of significance at either the pro or amateur level. We are the equivalent of the Yankees in terms of history and wealth - do they have the same problems signing guys? No.

I knew this was going to happen - we will once again miss out on adding free talent without giving up assets. Even if they don't pan out, the Habs are in no position to not take that chance.

Oh..wait....i forgot, i'm sure they will sign some no name smurf from the Q.
How about we stop praising our history and using it as our main selling point. We haven't won shit in over 25 years. The Yankees have won 5 championships since our last one.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
You sound angry.

Lol...i am..

Like i said, we are the Yankees of the NHL, but it's sad to see how low we've sunk.

There is no reason why we should't be able to sign the absolute best free agent in any league (N.A or Europe).

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
How about we stop praising our history and using it as our main selling point. We haven't won **** in over 25 years. The Yankees have won 5 championships since our last one.

My point is not to use the history as a selling point. My point is we are prestigious org. with a boatload of money. Even when the Yankees weren't winning shit during the 80's, they were still able to get anyone they wanted. Of course, whether they made the right signings or not is another story....

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Lol...i am..

Like i said, we are the Yankees of the NHL, but it's sad to see how low we've sunk.

There is no reason why we should't be able to sign the absolute best free agent in any league (N.A or Europe).

There's 30 good reasons why we can't, it's the other 30 teams in the NHL that can offer either better weather, less taxes, better opportunities, closer to home, etc.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How about we stop praising our history and using it as our main selling point. We haven't won **** in over 25 years. The Yankees have won 5 championships since our last one.

Even "fanbase who doesn't deserve a franchise or the playoffs" Carolina Hurricanes have made the finals twice and won once since the last time we've made it.

It's pathetic. I'm waiting for the opening ceremony to the season where we bust open the Rockets coffin.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
There's 30 good reasons why we can't, it's the other 30 teams in the NHL that can offer either better weather, less taxes, better opportunities, closer to home, etc.

What's next...better houses, better clubs, better shopping malls....

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
My point is not to use the history as a selling point. My point is we are prestigious org. with a boatload of money. Even when the Yankees weren't winning **** during the 80's, they were still able to get anyone they wanted. Of course, whether they made the right signings or not is another story....
We are in a league with a salary cap and we are the team with the worst taxes (at least I think) so there you go. We can exploit that money for the staff since there is no limit there but otherwise, it doesn't change a whole lot vs other rich teams.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I can understand being upset if you miss out on the top guys, but players like Brazeau, are Waked or Pizzata if you let them play junior for two more years and dominate against 16-17 year olds. He is basically an overaged 6th round pick. Nothing to lose sleep over. Last year we lost out on the stud defenseman to Boston and people cried over a guy who played in the ECHL even with the number of injuries Boston had on the blue line this year.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I can understand being upset if you miss out on the top guys, but players like Brazeau, are Waked or Pizzata if you let them play junior for two more years and dominate against 16-17 year olds. He is basically an overaged 6th round pick. Nothing to lose sleep over. Last year we lost out on the stud defenseman to Boston and people cried over a guy who played in the ECHL even with the number of injuries Boston had on the blue line this year.

Waked had almost the same amount of goals in his whole Q career as Brazeau did in 1 season.

Not all ufa signings will turn out, but constantly being left out is a huge disappointment.

Habs can still sign Brazeau. Toronto would need to terminate his contract and not offer the same.

Marlies are a good team, because Bergevin isn't running them, so we will see if Brazeau can do the same in the A, or be an effective player.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Those overagers or free agents pan out less then 5%. Jimmy Vesey is an average nhl’er. Hirose has talent and speed he might become something. From NCAA, you can certainly find talent. Daniel Carr dominated the AHL this year but his nhl potential seems limited due to his lack of speed and size.Barre boulet though seems good. Waked, Alain, Jevpalovs wont amount to anything much imo. I would rather give a chance to a guy like Kaski who did very good in the liiga. Plus, Laval will be stacked, I doubt we will have room.

Brazeau looks slow even for the OHL. I guess we stayed away.

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Robby Jackson signs an AHL contract. JJ Daigneault must have been very convincing for Jackson to choose San Antonio (St. Louis Blues affiliate).

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Let's bring ALL 3 to Montreal .Worst case Laval..ya never know.

Good article to read ClickHere>SCSU’s Poehling twins not bothered by spotlight on younger brother

The last time the Poehlings were on the same line for an extended period of time was during the 2014-15 season when Nick and Jack were seniors for Lakeville North High School. The Panthers went undefeated and won the Class 2A state title.
That season, Jack led the Panthers in goals (38) and points (76), Nick led the team in assists (39) and was second in points (72) and Ryan was fourth on the team in points as (16-33-49) as sophomore.

St Cloud coach says about Nick and Jack:

“They’re the same in that they’re relentless on pucks, their compete level is so high and they’re good enough to be able to make a play when they get it,” Larson said. “They play with a ton of edge. That’s their game.
“Their engine never stops. They’re constantly hounding pucks and putting defensemen under pressure,” Larson said of the brothers, who also kill penalties. “They’re huge momentum guys for us because even if they don’t score on their shifts, they pin other teams in their end and create a ton of momentum.”

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Let's bring ALL 3 to Montreal .Worst case Laval..ya never know.

Good article to read ClickHere>SCSU’s Poehling twins not bothered by spotlight on younger brother

The last time the Poehlings were on the same line for an extended period of time was during the 2014-15 season when Nick and Jack were seniors for Lakeville North High School. The Panthers went undefeated and won the Class 2A state title.
That season, Jack led the Panthers in goals (38) and points (76), Nick led the team in assists (39) and was second in points (72) and Ryan was fourth on the team in points as (16-33-49) as sophomore.

St Cloud coach says about Nick and Jack:

“They’re the same in that they’re relentless on pucks, their compete level is so high and they’re good enough to be able to make a play when they get it,” Larson said. “They play with a ton of edge. That’s their game.
“Their engine never stops. They’re constantly hounding pucks and putting defensemen under pressure,” Larson said of the brothers, who also kill penalties. “They’re huge momentum guys for us because even if they don’t score on their shifts, they pin other teams in their end and create a ton of momentum.”

More like Maine than Laval for the twins.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa

By looking at his stats I am not sure why we would sign this player, has anyone seen him play?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

By looking at his stats I am not sure why we would sign this player, has anyone seen him play?

Depth. Also had 7 points in 11 PO games. The tweet says AHL deal so he may replace Jevpalovs (who had 0.07 less ppg and was still a serviceable AHLer) or Grenier/Shinkaruk (although Grenier may be back even if he disappointed because local vet).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

7% of the NHL is Quebec born players (20% from Ontario). Then consider how many players from the rest of Canada would consider Montreal? Growing up, kids either love us or hate us. What is the best UFA guy we have ever signed? The Russian Radulov? Who else?

I don't see this trend changing overnight. We are trending well and have good positive direction but expecting to address our holes in UFA is no slam dunk.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

RW depth in Laval is not great. He gets a shot at trying to make the NHL roster and plays AHL if he don't. Bergevin looking through the bargain bin and taking a shot at another guy in his mid 20's. Could be another Kulak or another Chaput

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
7% of the NHL is Quebec born players (20% from Ontario). Then consider how many players from the rest of Canada would consider Montreal? Growing up, kids either love us or hate us. What is the best UFA guy we have ever signed? The Russian Radulov? Who else?

I don't see this trend changing overnight. We are trending well and have good positive direction but expecting to address our holes in UFA is no slam dunk.

Mike Camalleri, Brian Gionta, Roman Hamrlik, Joé Juneau...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad