Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Samuel Asselin of the Mooseheads will sign an ELC with Boston.

Habs had shown interest, but he chose the Bruins.

glad the Habs didn't sign him, getting tired of giving NHL contracts to players like Waked, etc.. not to compare them just we seem to stink at giving NHL contracts to undrafted FA's out of the Q. Would rather they sign their own guys like Tyszka, Walford, Bradley even though most of the time it likely doesn't matter either way.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
glad the Habs didn't sign him, getting tired of giving NHL contracts to players like Waked, etc.. not to compare them just we seem to stink at giving NHL contracts to undrafted FA's out of the Q. Would rather they sign their own guys like Tyszka, Walford, Bradley even though most of the time it likely doesn't matter either way.

Would rather go for someone like Peter Abbandonato, who was the league's top scorer.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
When was the last time an Undrafted UFA panned out for the Habs?

DD was by far the best, they had a few guys do a little in the NHL so far in Carr, Lindgren, Condon, they traded Daiz which was a good move for us plus Jerabek which got us a 5th and they traded Nevins/Lefebvre (I can't believe another team wanted them even as throw ins), I liked St-Denis a lot.

We'll see what the next wave of Teasdale, Leskinen, McNiven, Alain, Sklenicka, Verbeek, Waked does.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
DD was by far the best, they had a few guys do a little in the NHL so far in Carr, Lindgren, Condon, they traded Daiz which was a good move for us plus Jerabek which got us a 5th and they traded Nevins/Lefebvre (I can't believe another team wanted them even as throw ins), I liked St-Denis a lot.

We'll see what the next wave of Teasdale, Leskinen, McNiven, Alain, Sklenicka, Verbeek, Waked does.
Teasdale is intriguing, hopefully he pans out. Leskinen is another one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tampa again, lol.

Did the Habs have any interest in Abbandonato?

Although his name in Italian means "abandoned" -- perhaps it's the self-fulfilling prophesy that the Habs had.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It wouldn't surprise me if Habs offer Matthew Struthers an AHL deal after the draft. They signed him to an ATO last year after his OHL season was over. He looked good. He is still eligible for this year's draft (but he's not ranked, according to Elite Prospects). So chances are he goes undrafted. If it's the case, I'd like to see him signed.

21 years old
Left-shooting center, but also plays on the wing
6'2" and 209 lbs
He finished last year with 81 pts (31G, 50A) in 61 GP.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Tampa again, lol.

Did the Habs have any interest in Abbandonato?

Although his name in Italian means "abandoned" -- perhaps it's the self-fulfilling prophesy that the Habs had.

From what I recall reading from Stephane Leroux and Michael Lalancette, the Habs did have interest. Either it wasn't enough to convince him over Tampa or at the time, they just explored that option but didn't go deep enough.

Reactions: Runner77

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It wouldn't surprise me if Habs offer Matthew Struthers an AHL deal after the draft. They signed him to an ATO last year after his OHL season was over. He looked good. He is still eligible for this year's draft (but he's not ranked, according to Elite Prospects). So chances are he goes undrafted. If it's the case, I'd like to see him signed.

21 years old
Left-shooting center, but also plays on the wing
6'2" and 209 lbs
He finished last year with 81 pts (31G, 50A) in 61 GP.

He's 19 years old, not 21 (which makes it even better). We definitely need to get him if he doesn't get drafted this year.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The deadline to sign NCAA draft picks that completed 4 years is in 2 weeks on the 15th. We lose the rights to Koberstein, the likely big name that many teams may be interested in is the Caps Chase Priskie a RD so not someone we need or have much room for but will still be interesting to see where he goes.

For next season if any Finnish posters could give their opinion on Temmu Turunen, he was with HPK and turns 24 in Nov. Looks like he had his breakout year, wonder why there wasn't talk of NHL interest as he is undersized.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lets gamble on Priskie

Laval would be stacked

I would think most teams will take a run at him since it's a free RD prospect but the Habs don't make sense since they are loaded at RD and don't have room for him in Laval, in fact their D is so stacked they will likely need to trade one especially if Juulsen starts in Laval.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I hope that we watch Severi Lahtinen throughout the year. Could be an interesting guy to pick up at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad