Post-Game Talk: [Undisclosed Outcome... You're Welcome Blue Jays Watchers]

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
i just saw the highlights and phaneuf fought clarkson? well the fight looked pathetic as they both just fell to the ice. :laugh:
It was so pathetic they didn't even give them fighting majors :laugh:

Good game though. The Jackets are having a rough start and made us look a bit better than we are, but the effort + structure is getting more and more consistent. Guys like Winnik and Hunwick are always working hard and looking like good role models for younger players. I liked Harrington again, too.

Last edited:

maplehawk

HFB Partner
i like that our D are using the C as an option during the breakouts now.

under carlyle, it was to the W every.single.time who was often way too high for it to work.

under wilson it was reverse, reverse, reverse, reverse, oh **** we're in trouble.

we had at least 3 buttery smooth breakouts tonight that went D -> C -> W -> W. 3 passes and we were entering the offensive zone.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
well played game.

i'm loving the d-pairings. Been wanting to see a Gardiner - Phaneuf pair for a very long time and looks like it worked well this game... they were both +3

komorov played well with JVR and Kadri/Bozak.

I feel like the Winnik - Spaling - Lupul line is basically our second line. Even though they've been good, I still feel like Spaling should probably be our #4 center.

Kadri looked good out there. Not sold on Boyes though. Matthias is good, but maybe I wouldn't pair him with Kadri.

I think the forward lines still need to be tweaked... but Winnik and Komorov in the top 6 I think really helps. Most posters were putting them on a 4th line when we were discussing line combos which I knew was a mistake.

Anyways, good game tonight!

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Even this team's bad moments are night and day compared to the last couple years. Watching smooth breakouts and long stretches of cycling in the offensive zone is such a treat and it will take this roster farther than most expected if it keeps up. Reimer was okay but I'd still like him to tighten up, although he was significantly better than any stretch Bernier has put together so far this season.

That 4th line is a treat to watch and I actually like Lupul down there, he gives the line a scoring punch and looks a lot more engaged in the play when he's alongside 2 way guys like Winnik and Spaling. If he can continue to capitalize off their work along the boards, that could be a quality trio moving forward.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I called for us to win the game 3-0 had the goal spread right....

We played well against a struggling team with bad D man.

I thought that our D core played well but some communication break downs need to improve. Our top Pair D man look like a good group in the last two games. Lupul is alive! Kadri played well and our role players played very well again....Winnik and Leo had great games.

Tomorrow will be a one goal game.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
That 4th line is a treat to watch and I actually like Lupul down there, he gives the line a scoring punch and looks a lot more engaged in the play when he's alongside 2 way guys like Winnik and Spaling. If he can continue to capitalize off their work along the boards, that could be a quality trio moving forward.

that's not our 4th line.

Holland's line is the 4th line.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Yeah brainfart.

I still see them listed as the "4th line" when people tweet the line combos. They were listed as the 4th line in the GDT for some reason too.

But Winnik and Spaling actually had the most ice time for the forwards. A lot of that was due to PK time... but I feel like Babcock loves throwing that line out there.

Parenteau and Holland had the lowest ice time.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Even this team's bad moments are night and day compared to the last couple years. Watching smooth breakouts and long stretches of cycling in the offensive zone is such a treat and it will take this roster farther than most expected if it keeps up. Reimer was okay but I'd still like him to tighten up, although he was significantly better than any stretch Bernier has put together so far this season.

Yep, I'm really enjoying watching this team so far this year, they've looked like competent hockey players in the 3 games I've seen, and have really driven the possession play. It's really great to see.

Also, off topic, but is your name an Asking Alexandria reference?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Great with a win. Cbj have some stuff to work with. Thought they would get their first W in this game but we got our first instead.

They should really do a lot better and I guess they start to feel the panic coming.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Spaling and his line seemed to get rewarded in Bozak's absence.... finishing as the top forward in TOI.

According to the game sheet even before the injury. The go to line for the 1st period at least as far as mins go.

Good building game for him.

Shwaguy*

Is it just me or is it weird that Rielly got 0 PP time?

I mean, it's great to see him have a great game but it's strange to not use him on the PP.

Sure the whole 4 forwards/1 Dman thing is supposed to be better, but even when Rielly is better offensively than almost every forward on the team?

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Maybe there is some sharing/helping going in the face-off dept.

We are currently (touch wood) 3rd overall at team face-offs at 54.3%.

After 4 games:
Bozak 58.9%

Spaling 53.5%

Holland 52.2%

Kadri 51.6%

BUT, this last game
Bozak was 13 and 4 for 76%
Kadri was 14 and 5 for 74%

Hopefully, they're working together on Kadri's face-off technique.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Is it just me or is it weird that Rielly got 0 PP time?

I mean, it's great to see him have a great game but it's strange to not use him on the PP.

Sure the whole 4 forwards/1 Dman thing is supposed to be better, but even when Rielly is better offensively than almost every forward on the team?

I agree that he's good enough and perhaps the better D man to be on the PP, but, MB is all about distributing time and monitoring his player's time. Also, the Dman function on the PP can be diffferent than when you have a 2 Dman PP. If Phaneuf could ever get his slapper going, that would help of course!

On the other hand, with 22:28 seconds of Total TOI, Rielly was 2nd only to Hunwick with 22:38 seconds of icetime.

Power play time is critical, in that it can get you a goal. But, having Rielly fresh for even strength situations is also important.

And, Rielly ate 4 minutes or so SH which takes more energy than PP time - (I think!!!)

Shwaguy*

I agree that he's good enough and perhaps the better D man to be on the PP, but, MB is all about distributing time and monitoring his player's time. Also, the Dman function on the PP can be diffferent than when you have a 2 Dman PP. If Phaneuf could ever get his slapper going, that would help of course!

On the other hand, with 22:28 seconds of Total TOI, Rielly was 2nd only to Hunwick with 22:38 seconds of icetime.

Power play time is critical, in that it can get you a goal. But, having Rielly fresh for even strength situations is also important.

And, Rielly ate 4 minutes or so SH which takes more energy than PP time - (I think!!!)

This is all true, I said I liked seeing the Ice-Time being up there, especially the Penalty Killing. Another factor that I missed was we only had 1 powerplay lol. Hard to get everyone out there.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
This is all true, I said I liked seeing the Ice-Time being up there, especially the Penalty Killing. Another factor that I missed was we only had 1 powerplay lol. Hard to get everyone out there.

I do agree with you and think he would be the best Dman of the lot to have on the PP, if that was all it was, a ONE TIME PP event, but, it's a matter of getting the most out of all players functioning in a lot of different roles.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Babcock:

"Losing Bozie hurt us. We weren't as good after that."

Bozak was fine today. Not as good as last game. However, of course losing a top 6 center hurts you. No disrespect towards Bozak, whom I am willing to give some time without Kessel before I judge as a player, but it doesn't really say anything.

mikebel111*

Kadri really Is the player that Babcock is relying on the most it seems even before the injury to Tyler.
And Kadri is taking advantage of it. Great start for him.
Looks like Ban
Babcock used him as 1st line C again and he expects him to be an elite player. Babcock is really liking what he is seeing from Kadri

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Said this in the GDT as well but

I'm not understanding what the hate with Phaneuf is so far. Just a bunch of haters thinking they know hockey i guess.

4 points in 4 games and +4 while playing for the LEAFS

Either watch the game or look at stats. DONT LOOK AT THE DANM CONTRACT AND THINK HE SUCKS.

It looks like he could benefit from the babs system and overall improved defensive and possession game. Hell all that rest from not being hemmed into the defensive zone trying to prevent goals is working for him. He has looked com comfortable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad