Post-Game Talk: [Undisclosed Outcome... You're Welcome Blue Jays Watchers]

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Were we that good or was columbus that bad?

We were good, except for stretches in the 3rd. Neither team had great goaltending. Bob was a sieve and Reimer was just ok. If we'd been up against a top 15 goalie, it would have been close.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
I like Phaneuf, but a 4 game stretch proves nothing.

I think he'll be a better player under Babcock, but he was NOT worth his contract under Carlyle or Horachek.

I'm not saying it proves anything. I'm just saying he wasn't even bad but some fans act like hes bringing down the team so far in these first 4 games.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm not saying it proves anything. I'm just saying he wasn't even bad but some fans act like hes bringing down the team so far in these first 4 games.

Absolutely. So far this season, he's been great. Slightly reduced minutes, not always facing the toughest matchups are helping a lot. So is being paired with someone fast so he doesn't always have to sprint for pucks, and a system where the defensemen aren't carrying it out of the zone. Keeps his energy high.

I still want to see him traded, but I'm glad he's doing well and boosting his value.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Good game. That Leo goal shouldn't have counted, and that Spaling penalty could have been worse. Got lucky with the refs there.

On another note, one of the least impressive players on the team was Grabner, again. Despite being injury free for the first time in years, he actually looks to have lost a step even compared to last year.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nice to see Babs get the first win.

Overall we played very well through out the whole game, but I though the toughest stretches were after Bozak left the game the two times that he did; which is a credit to him because he takes a lot of ****(and sometimes deservingly so) but full marks tonight.

Hunwick was fantastic in all situations, really paired well with Morgan who also had himself a very good game. The whole defence had a good night actually, moved the puck quickly and efficiently.

Winnik, Kadri, Lupul, Komarov all played quite well up front, especially Winnik.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Good game. That Leo goal shouldn't have counted, and that Spaling penalty could have been worse. Got lucky with the refs there.

On another note, one of the least impressive players on the team was Grabner, again. Despite being injury free for the first time in years, he actually looks to have lost a step even compared to last year.

Parenteau was equally unimpressive tonight. Least ice time, by nearly 4 minutes. I expect to see him scratched next game and Arcobello back in.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Parenteau was equally unimpressive tonight. Least ice time, by nearly 4 minutes. I expect to see him scratched next game and Arcobello back in.

Yeah, Parenteau is not looking good either. He always was a bit of a specialty player though. If you can't put him in the right position, you'll get nothing from him.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yeaaaboooyea.

Defensive zone breakouts were impressive. Good for Komarov and Winnik. Kind of win you can be happy about. Love it when hard work is rewarded.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I thought Mathias played well.

The whole 4th line Winnik/Spaling/Lupul played a great game, looks like Babcock has put together an unlikely 3 players that at times can dominate a game.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Hunwick and Rielly as a top pairing looked ok tonight, but won't stack up against a stronger offense. Nice to see Rielly get on the scoresheet with a couple of assists.

Gardiner-Phaneuf as a second pairing was really strong. Despite their lack of success together in the past, I think they do cover for each other's weaknesses well. Phaneuf is still PPG

Lupul's having a bounceback season. Playing as good as he ever does. Just needs to stay healthy.

Bozak was really good tonight. As was Kadri. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Winnik had a three point night. He's doing so well this season. Babcock loves him. I love him.

Komarov got a goal and then the EN. He's been playing as well pre-Ovechkin last season, and it's nice to have points to show for it. I believe Leafs were undefeated last season when Komarov scores (except for once when he scored twice and cancelled it out). Let's see if that happens again.

Overall, we took 4 penalties tonight. Gotta cut that down. But is was nice to see Dion scrap with Clarkson.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
hooo boy.
Columbus is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad . Bob looked horrendous too.

i lost my internet connection like all throughout the third, so i can't really comment but what i saw we're looking really good. I like this. :)

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Feels good to be wrong...

Another strong outplaying, outshooting, outpossessing game.

Arcobello will come back in, depending on Bozak.
PAP has 0 ZERO shots on goal this season. I knew at one point he'd sit.

Aside from that, just everyone had a good game.
PK also has to tighten up
Goaltending still not great.
CBJ pushed and eventually fell in the 3rd.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 6-3 win over Columbus on Friday night.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Feels good to be wrong...

Another strong outplaying, outshooting, outpossessing game.

Arcobello will come back in, depending on Bozak.
PAP has 0 ZERO shots on goal this season. I knew at one point he'd sit.

Aside from that, just everyone had a good game.
PK also has to tighten up
Goaltending still not great.
CBJ pushed and eventually fell in the 3rd.

I think the problem with that is that we lack defense capable of playing PK. Polak and Phaneuf are the only proven guys. Gardiner has looked good in limited time. Rielly could probably do alright. Harrington and Hunwick should be taken off. Plain and simple. Gardiner or Rielly may not help at all, but it's worth a shot.

And to fix the PAP problem, I think we need to put him with Winnik and Spaling again. That lineup was amazing, even if he wasn't scoring or getting shots. It's hard to find a groove when Babcock is juggling the lineups every game.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I thought Mathias played well.

The whole 4th line Winnik/Spaling/Lupul played a great game, looks like Babcock has put together an unlikely 3 players that at times can dominate a game.

For sure... Glad to see Babcock isn't force feeding Kadri and Lupul together by default like Carlysle and Horacheck did.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i just saw the highlights and phaneuf fought clarkson? well the fight looked pathetic as they both just fell to the ice. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->