Underrated top six

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Karlssons signed at 6.5 with no raise

In terms of average salary and yearly cap hit you are right, but in actual salary Erik will recieve a million dollar bump from 5.5 to 6.5 for the upcoming year.

PW will also get an extra million.

Greening and Cowen, a shade over one million over their current salaries.

Last edited:

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Cowen, Wiercioch, Greening and EK raises eat Michaleks money

All those extensions were backloaded

Next season, with Spezza contract off the books, the Sens have 42.6 M committed to 18 players with Hoffman (~1.25 M), Gryba (~2.0 M), and Lehner (~2.0 M) left to sign. (RFA salaries are just guesses on my part) Total is just under 48 M

That leaves around 8M for Murray to play with (if the internal cap is 56 M like this year)

Obviously, there are going to be some moving parts and we can adjust as the next month unfolds, but I fully expect a solid player to be added to the top 6 either through free agency, the Spezza trade, or hopefully a combination of both to add some depth to the forwards. A lot is up in the until we see what happens with Spezza.

Point is, there is money for another solid forward(s)

John Holmes*

"Tank"? Spoken like someone who has never watched bergeron. Bergeron > turris. As for no where close? Turris is alot closer to that level than most are willing to give him credit for, just a matter of consistency is all it boils down too.

If zibanejad, stone and whoever returns from the spezza deal hit 20 goals not too worried about the top 6 scoring. I'm more concerned about our bot 6 scoring which is what will kill us.

No I've never watched Bergeron play. I've never seen his big legs and low center of gravity. I've never seen him plow through guys. I've never seen how difficult he is to knock down or off the puck and I didn't see him win any Stanley Cup or Olympic gold medals.

I should get my eyes checked.

Last edited by a moderator:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Am I the only gloomy one. I some what think we are intentionally tanking for McDavid xD our team looks awful right now.

What If Eugene was such a genius he set it up with money trouble reports and budget just waiting to hit the draft lottery.

Just waiting.....

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Next season, with Spezza contract off the books, the Sens have 42.6 M committed to 18 players with Hoffman (~1.25 M), Gryba (~2.0 M), and Lehner (~2.0 M) left to sign. (RFA salaries are just guesses on my part) Total is just under 48 M

That leaves around 8M for Murray to play with (if the internal cap is 56 M like this year)

Obviously, there are going to be some moving parts and we can adjust as the next month unfolds, but I fully expect a solid player to be added to the top 6 either through free agency, the Spezza trade, or hopefully a combination of both to add some depth to the forwards. A lot is up in the until we see what happens with Spezza.

Point is, there is money for another solid forward(s)

The problem with that 8 MM is that it has to cover the loss of an entire forward line. And that is before any issues at D are even looked at.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
UFA-Zibanejad-Spezza trade
Smith-DaCosta-Stone
Greening-Pageau-Lazar/Condra

Depending on returns and assets, could be good forward group.

I'm hoping somehow we get O'Reilly by some miracle. He'd be perfect for our core and perfect player for our division/playoffs.

Yeah we're going to have a hard time playing possession without Spezza's amazing faceoffs

Ugh.... Losing a faceoff is one of those things that I find absolutely soul crushing when watching hockey

Zibanejad got so much better at faceoffs towards second half of last year.

Turris, Zibanejad and Smith is good face-off group, not excellent but not bad either. By the way, he won faceoffs but puck possession is equally about battling for lost face-offs which Turris and Zibanejad are very good at.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
The problem with that 8 MM is that it has to cover the loss of an entire forward line. And that is before any issues at D are even looked at.

Yep, I included Stone and Pageau on the team for now. So they are short one forward.

Actually, must've been tired the number isn't 42.6, it's 44.6. So with no other movement(there will be some for sure, as I don't think they want to run with 8 D again this year) they have ~6M to fill one forward slot.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
With the aquisition of Legwand, we now have seven players who can hit 40 points next season (Mac, Turris, Bobby, Legwand, Zibby, Michalek, Karlsson). Pretty good.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With the aquisition of Legwand, we now have seven players who can hit 40 points next season (Mac, Turris, Bobby, Legwand, Zibby, Michalek, Karlsson). Pretty good.

You could probably add Chaisson to that list, he paced at 36 pts, while Zibanejad paced at 39. Wiercioch could be a dark horse, provided he plays all 82 games and gets the PP time.

I imagine 5 of those guys are locks, while Zibby, Michalek, Chaisson and Wiercioch will all be dependent on getting the opportunities/staying healthy.

The nice thing is we seem to have great depth this year, and could potentially run with 3 scoring lines. If Smith's line can play a shut down role (wishful thinking unless Neil and Greening either rebound or get replaced) we could be dangerous.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Yep, forgot about Chiasson. Him too.

The departure of Spezza drastically increases Zibby's chances of hitting 40 IMO.

@ Goombah I think only one of Chiasson, Stone will hit 40.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
I love zibby but my only problem with him is he needs to shoot the puck more. Kid has a bomb of a shot and seems to lack confidence and goes for an extra pass far to often , hopefully this year he will use it a lot more, if so I think he will hit 25 goals

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Am I the only gloomy one. I some what think we are intentionally tanking for McDavid xD our team looks awful right now.

What If Eugene was such a genius he set it up with money trouble reports and budget just waiting to hit the draft lottery.

Just waiting.....

We won't tank, it would take a Pitt style tank plan in order to get last place in the East. My guess is that Ottawa finds itself in about the same place as last year, give or take a spot.

However, I could also see this team making the playoffs, it all comes down to everyone playing up to their potential.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You could probably add Chaisson to that list, he paced at 36 pts, while Zibanejad paced at 39. Wiercioch could be a dark horse, provided he plays all 82 games and gets the PP time.

I imagine 5 of those guys are locks, while Zibby, Michalek, Chaisson and Wiercioch will all be dependent on getting the opportunities/staying healthy.

The nice thing is we seem to have great depth this year, and could potentially run with 3 scoring lines. If Smith's line can play a shut down role (wishful thinking unless Neil and Greening either rebound or get replaced) we could be dangerous.
Still thinking Smith and Greening are going to end up in chicago,It would make the 4th line a kid line that can sheltered,with players moving in and out of the top 9 and ahl :nod:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Smith + Greening = about 4M. Dunno if they'd take both, unless we add a prospect and get someone like Sharp back, but that's a bad deal for them.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Smith + Greening = about 4M. Dunno if they'd take both, unless we add a prospect and get someone like Sharp back, but that's a bad deal for them.
They need the depth, their bottom 6 is bad .We could hold cap for them as well .They have some core pieces to resign ,sharp is expendable ,kane,toews,saad are not :nod:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
My deal for smith goes like this Greening/Smith cap retained 50%{no dollars}dal 2nd and a prospect like prince for sharp .Chicago adds two bottom 6 nhlers a decent prospect in prince and a 2nd in a deep draft ,and saves 2 mil in cap space .4 for 1 ,as much as chicago fans think its not worth it ,that is a lot of value for an older winger :nod:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My deal for smith goes like this Greening/Smith cap retained 50%{no dollars}dal 2nd and a prospect like prince for sharp .Chicago adds two bottom 6 nhlers a decent prospect in prince and a 2nd in a deep draft ,and saves 2 mil in cap space .4 for 1 ,as much as chicago fans think its not worth it ,that is a lot of value for an older winger :nod:

You can't just retain cap, its Dollars and cap (at the same proportion), or nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad