Underrated top six

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
With a Spezza trade looming, I think a lot of people are worried about our top six without him. He's been our #1 center for a pretty long time now, almost 10 years, and we'll be looking at our first top six without Spezza in a long time if he gets traded.

That said, I think our top six is really underrated without Spezza. We'll be losing an elite center, but we'll obviously be getting at least one good piece back that can help us right away, and I think that increased roles for our younger players can help out a lot.

This is our players' points from last season: http://senators.nhl.com/club/stats.htm (dunno how to do a fancy tableau).

5 players with over 40 points, and Michalek with 39 points (Zibanejad with 33). That's pretty good nowadays. Ideally, we would have 6 players with over 40 points.

Of those 5 players, 4 are returning next year. Karlsson, Turris, MacArthur and Ryan.

Then keep in mind that with a Spezza trade, Zibanejad will be getting more ice time ES and PP and so, inevitably his point totals should go up and I don't think it's a stretch to say that he can reach 40 points next season.

And then we have the Spezza return, which is uncertain right now but that could possibly provide another 40 point forward. That could be 6 players with 40 points or more, one more than last season.

Karlsson is what makes our top six really underrated IMO. He's such an offensive catalyst that it's almost as if we always have 4 forwards when he's on the ice. Add to that the better defensive season we should have next year by trading Spezza and Karlsson rounding back to form, and I think we won't be as bad as some people think.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I would bet on mark stone getting 40 points if he plays on the top 6 next year. I mean he was on pace for like 35ish points I believe and that was with almost no PP time and a few games on the 4th line. Not to mention is takeaways/60 was off the charts.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yea, some people really panicking with Spezza's departure but:

1) Zibanejad's progression
2) Mark Stone's progression
3) Piece coming back
4) UFA Signing

All completely change the dynamics of our top 6. Like the post above me says, Mark Stone looks really good. If he breaks out as a top 6 winger and score 40ish points with excellent defense, smart puck possession and gritty play... that would be tremendous.

Zibanejad scoring 50 would be HUGE and the assets we get back+ sign are just bonuses.

The most important thing is the team playing like a team. If the top 6 both play 200 foot, speedy, gritty and smart hockey, we'll be just fine.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why is anyone assuming that the kids will progress along just fine

We just went through that with our D and now we're going to do it with our forwards?!

Dear god.... :cry:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

We just went through that with our D and now we're going to do it with our forwards?!

To add to what ChocolatLeclaire said, it's also because the forwards aren't coming off major injuries and are also very responsible in all areas of the game. I could see them not scoring as much due to added responsibility but they'd also allow much less goals against.

Btw, it's just Stone and Zibanejad we're relying on, that's IF we don't trade for/sign another 2nd line C/winger.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario

Imo only Cowen really regressed, Methot too but he is not a youngster. Karlsson didn't even play last year, neither did Ceci, who was probably still our 3rd best d throughout the year We just got dealt a bad hand in terms of the defence, that is all. Expect Methot to bounce back, Ceci will get better and Gryba looked like a pretty reliable bottom pairing guy. The only big question mark is Cowen, will he everr regain for, is he already a bust, not really to what pick he was picked up at but due to people thinking he could top 3/top 5 that year.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Because usually forwards process at a much faster rate than defensemen do...

Has Turris not gotten better by the season?

very good example. Do we still think Turris has more to prove? I he is a 60 point two-way centre, im good with that, but does he have another gear. Could he hit 65? 70? 30 goals? Maurice Richard:sarcasm:?

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I'm worried about our top six next year. Not many teams can lose an entire first line and be perfectly fine the next season, especially if they aren't willing to spend. We're gonna need a really good top six piece back from the Spezza deal, a ufa signing, and Zibby to play to his potential.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Because usually forwards process at a much faster rate than defensemen do...

Has Turris not gotten better by the season?

Yes he has

The main issue isn't the kids progressing, it's the dumping of the veterans in Spezza, Hemsky and maybe Michalek

Just like when we let Gonchar and Benoit go because we assumed the kids were ready

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
very good example. Do we still think Turris has more to prove? I he is a 60 point two-way centre, im good with that, but does he have another gear. Could he hit 65? 70? 30 goals? Maurice Richard:sarcasm:?

I think he can get better or at least more consistent. He could easily be a Patrice Bergeron.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
I think he can get better or at least more consistent. He could easily be a Patrice Bergeron.

So Maurice Richard is off the table :sarcasm:? Regarding your Bergeron comment, I personally see him as more of a Krejci, not too physical, not too skilled, but above average defensively and just seems to make chemistry with his line mates. Also I personally think he has it in him to score 65-70 points and 30 goals but i guess only time will tell.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm worried about our top six next year. Not many teams can lose an entire first line and be perfectly fine the next season, especially if they aren't willing to spend. We're gonna need a really good top six piece back from the Spezza deal, a ufa signing, and Zibby to play to his potential.

I think that the losing an entire first line phrase is very misconstrued.

Hemsky was here for 20 games, and we weren't so much better off with him. Michalek didn't even crack 40 points. The only player we're losing really is Spezza.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Yea, some people really panicking with Spezza's departure but:

1) Zibanejad's progression
2) Mark Stone's progression
3) Piece coming back
4) UFA Signing

All completely change the dynamics of our top 6. Like the post above me says, Mark Stone looks really good. If he breaks out as a top 6 winger and score 40ish points with excellent defense, smart puck possession and gritty play... that would be tremendous.

Zibanejad scoring 50 would be HUGE and the assets we get back+ sign are just bonuses.

The most important thing is the team playing like a team. If the top 6 both play 200 foot, speedy, gritty and smart hockey, we'll be just fine.

Quality > Quantity

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Yes he has

The main issue isn't the kids progressing, it's the dumping of the veterans in Spezza, Hemsky and maybe Michalek

Just like when we let Gonchar and Benoit go because we assumed the kids were ready

Benoit was a miscalculation, he should have been kept. But he really wasn't a vet...he was coming off his first fill season in the NHL.

Gonchar was a good loss. He stunk in Dallas.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Without Spezza our top 6 will be good enough to play us out of a good draft position.

With Spezza he carries the load and makes room for the rest and puts up 80 points and gives us our best shot at making the playoffs..

Alfie, Heatley, Michalek(35 goals) have all had career years playing with Spezza. Doesn't anyone believe a healthy Spezza would do that for someone else like a UFA?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No one could easily be a Bergeron

Bergeron is one of the best forwards in the NHL

Turris put up 26 goals 58 points +22 on -48 team. That's Bergeron like contribution. If Turris enters a higher gear, he could be our Bergeron.

Quality > Quantity

Tell that to Boston and NYR.

If Turris and Ryan both hit 60-70 while the rest of the top 6 hit 50 with 2 way play, that's quality. Especially if we have the best defender in the game + number 1 goalie.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Benoit was a miscalculation, he should have been kept. But he really wasn't a vet...he was coming off his first fill season in the NHL.

Gonchar was a good loss. He stunk in Dallas.

Yes but we let them go thinking "the kids will be fine!"

They weren't

I just hope the same doesn't happen with the forwards is all

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think that the losing an entire first line phrase is very misconstrued.

Hemsky was here for 20 games, and we weren't so much better off with him. Michalek didn't even crack 40 points. The only player we're losing really is Spezza.

We had 23 points in 20 games while hemsky was here, would have put us on a 92 point pace over the full season and that still doesn't get us into the playoffs. Not to take away from Hemsky because he's a great player but the reason his actual impact on our record was so marginal was because we never had problems scoring in the first place and it's the D that should have been addressed at the deadline instead. I would much rather spend the 5.5+ mil that Hemsky wants on a good top 4 D man which was our real issue last season.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Turris put up 26 goals 58 points +22 on -48 team. That's Bergeron like contribution. If Turris enters a higher gear, he could be our Bergeron.

Tell that to Boston and NYR

Where is our quantity of people who score fairly regularly? It's not Neil, Greening or Condra.

It might be Zibanejad maybe or Pageau maybe but it's another gamble. It looks like we're going to be a not-so competitive team filled with young prospects we draft and develop before they head off to better places/teams with money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad