Underrated top six

John Holmes*

Bergeron is a tank. Turris is nowhere near Bergeron's game.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
"Tank"? Spoken like someone who has never watched bergeron. Bergeron > turris. As for no where close? Turris is alot closer to that level than most are willing to give him credit for, just a matter of consistency is all it boils down too.

If zibanejad, stone and whoever returns from the spezza deal hit 20 goals not too worried about the top 6 scoring. I'm more concerned about our bot 6 scoring which is what will kill us.

Last edited:

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
The only reason we have good depth at center is because of Spezza. takes him away and our center depth evaporates

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
The only reason we have good depth at center is because of Spezza. takes him away and our center depth evaporates

This is basically the point. Bad teams can get away with a lot if they have good C depth. We certainly do have a lot of guys that can play that position, but we need better quality in those players. Turris is the only 2nd line or higher calibre C we have if Spezza goes.

I wouldn't pencil in Zibby as a consistent contributor just yet.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wouldn't pencil in Zibby as a consistent contributor just yet.

Me neither but he's ready to make the jump

He might be terrible as the second C for a full year but I'm pretty confident he's got the skill set and the smarts to be a good one

His health is the only concern I have going forward

The team is going to blow next year, hopefully we get a good draft (shot at McDavid as long as we miss the playoffs) and we are set for a bit

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
Me neither but he's ready to make the jump

He might be terrible as the second C for a full year but I'm pretty confident he's got the skill set and the smarts to be a good one

His health is the only concern I have going forward

The team is going to blow next year, hopefully we get a good draft (shot at McDavid as long as we miss the playoffs) and we are set for a bit

I have pretty low expectations for next year as well. Hopefully we see some improvement in the D and some young guys step up to assume vancant spots but it's asking a lot of these guys to be a contender.

WhiteLight*

MacArthur - Turris - UFA
UFA - Zibanejad - Ryan
Hoffman - Da Costa - Stone
UFA - Smith - Condra

is ideal. But yeah even with Stone in the top 6, I like it

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm excited to see all the youth next year. Stone, Zibanejad, Turris, Karlsson, Cowen, Lehner and Da Costa if he's on the team :)crossfing) are all guys I'm really pumped to see.

Some are due for a rebound season, and some are just due to explode with increased ice time.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
MacArthur - Turris - UFA
UFA - Zibanejad - Ryan
Hoffman - Da Costa - Stone
UFA - Smith - Condra

is ideal. But yeah even with Stone in the top 6, I like it

I'd expect something like

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan (why break up a good thing?)
UFA/Spezza return - Zibanejad - Stone
Hoffman - Smith - Neil
Lazar - Pageau - Condra

Greening

Too many variables to predict at this point. The Spezza trade will determine a lot, but I'm ok giving Zibby a chance to be the 2C to start the year at least.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Yep, we did it with Da Costa two years ago, I see no reason why we shouldn't give Zibby a chance at the 2C spot.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'd expect something like

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan (why break up a good thing?)
UFA/Spezza return - Zibanejad - Stone
Hoffman - Smith - Neil
Lazar - Pageau - Condra

Greening

Too many variables to predict at this point. The Spezza trade will determine a lot, but I'm ok giving Zibby a chance to be the 2C to start the year at least.

That roster barely sniffs a playoff spot unless goaltending goes into beast mode.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If Spezza goes I'm not expecting playoffs next year. Best faceoff guy as well. Turris struggles when thrust in to 1st line duty.
Not a very good top 6.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah we're going to have a hard time playing possession without Spezza's amazing faceoffs

Ugh.... Losing a faceoff is one of those things that I find absolutely soul crushing when watching hockey

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If Spezza is traded, there will be changes to the top 6 likely through additions from free agency or from the Spezza trade. The top 6 will change, but I don't know how good or bad it'll be.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
That roster barely sniffs a playoff spot unless goaltending goes into beast mode.

This.

I really can't understand how some of you can look at that roster and think it will be competitive.

Look around the league. That team probably doesn't even go .500

If we aren't going to have Spezza or another skilled centre we need Da Costa in the line up. He'll bring offense, a high level of hockey sense and skill to the line up.

Even still we won't be good enough to match up against a lot of Western teams. We play 28 games against the West next season. We need to get points in a lot of those games and I don't see it happening with any of the line-ups posted so far.

Ottawa is in a weird middle ground where they don't have enough skill to beat other teams and they don't have enough toughness to counter the skill of other teams. Hopefully, we can increase both next season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If Spezza is traded, there will be changes to the top 6 likely through additions from free agency or from the Spezza trade. The top 6 will change, but I don't know how good or bad it'll be.

Since Spezza was going to cost only 4 million I don't forsee us landing anyone I'd consider a difference-maker at that price

It's possible, look at MacArthur, but I don't expect it

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Since Spezza was going to cost only 4 million I don't forsee us landing anyone I'd consider a difference-maker at that price

It's possible, look at MacArthur, but I don't expect it

Spezza and Michalek's salary last year was 11 M, they should be able to pay for a good player through trade or UFA.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
If somehow Greening or Condra can be moved... ideally, Greening then

Mac - Turris - Ryan
UFA - Zibanejad - Stone
Spezza trade - Smith - Condra
Hoffman - Pageau - Neil

Extra : Lazar/Bingo call up

Depending on Michalek's replacement, that could be a good mix of speed, size, skill, and grit.

I hope they get Pageau and Hoffman to kill penalties together... So fast, and will probably get a lot of good short handed chances because of it.

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton
Mac-Turris-Ryan
Spezza Return-Zibby-Stone
Hoffman-DC*-Pageau*
Greening-Smith-Condra
*Lazar rotates / Neil extra

Methot-Karlsson
Weircoch-Ceci
Cowen-Gryba
*Boro,Phillips extra

Lehner
UFA who is a servicable backup

I dont expect much on the trade front other than spezza, and a ufa goalie signing (someone like Dubnyk, Emery or Gustavsson).

I expect this team to miss the playoffs but be exciting to watch. Maybe even get a good draft pick ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad