Underrated/Overrated

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Who are some of the most underrated/overrated players in your time watching football?

Underrated : Roy Keane

When talking about the best CM's in Premier League history, the names of Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Vieira et al usually come up, and for good reason-they were incredible players- but for me, the best CM I've ever seen play in England was Keano.

I think his playing style, personality, reputation, and the almost caricature-like punditry have overshadowed how dominant he truly was. A lot of people just straight-up don't like the guy, and that effects how he's rated/viewed.

People often reference his aggressiveness, intelligence and leadership qualities, but they don't talk enough about how talented he actually was. He had one of the best first touches and a terrific ability to drive passes forward and break opposition lines, always to players feet. It was simple, but supremely effective, and not as easy as it looks. The guy almost never lost the ball either. Truly one of the most complete players I've ever had the pleasure of watching, and I'd have no issue putting him on any all-time team. He can play with anyone and make that team better.

Overrated: Alexis Sanchez

I have never, nor will ever, enjoy watching that guy turn the ball over a thousand times a game "trying things", or waiting too long to release the ball, killing possessions. His decision making is just not at the level I think players who are considered "elite" should have. He's never been close to the likes of Hazard, for me.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don't think Keane's underrated, he's a legend.

Anyway, gonna talk about current footballers only...

Overrated:
Kieran Trippier. He can deliver set pieces. And that's about it. He gets exposed defensively and is limited in making runs.
Naturally, English media are hyping him up after the WC - where again, other than set pieces, he was nothing special, certainly didn't impact the game like some other RBs.
You get what you see with him as well, he's 27 - not like he's 19 and there's a good chance he'll get better.

Underrated:
Niklas Süle. He's got Boateng's body and Hummels' brain and technique. An absolute beast in the making, and only 22.

Homer pick for underrated:
Marcelo Brozovic. I don't think people realize how good he is as a regista even after the WC.
A top, top regista in the game, only a handful are up there with him in the role.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Under: Roberto Baggio. Now I know nobody is silly enough to say he wasn't good or anything like that but it seems many don't realize, or simply forgot, just how good he was. He was a fantastic dribbler, a top notch goalscorer ( 100% two footed) add just as good a playmaker. He was also an absolute joy to watch. When Pirlo and Del Piero are listed ahead of him in lists of italian greats ahead of him (and these two are fine players for sure) that's just wrong imo.

Over: Wayne Rooney. He never seemed to progress from the age of 18. His developmental arc was a straight horizontal line. If that guy wasn't english, his legacy would be similar to Pippo Inzaghi's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Underrated: Bit of a homer pick, but Ledley King. If not for his knee I'd argue that he is up there with Terry. Henry seems to share my sentiment:

Ledley King was the best defender I've played against and the only one that didn't have to foul me to get the ball.

I don't like defenders who hold the shirts of other players. The only defender here who doesn't do that and sometimes still gets the ball off my feet easily is Ledley King.

He is the only guy who doesn't hold players. He will get the ball off you without you even noticing. For me, that is a good defender.

He plays without any contact yet is somehow still strong and gets the ball without doing any fouls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Il Mediano

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Overrated:
Kieran Trippier. He can deliver set pieces. And that's about it. He gets exposed defensively and is limited in making runs.
Naturally, English media are hyping him up after the WC - where again, other than set pieces, he was nothing special, certainly didn't impact the game like some other RBs.
You get what you see with him as well, he's 27 - not like he's 19 and there's a good chance he'll get better.

Trippier was one of England's best players in open play too. He is absolutely in contention for best RB at the WC. And that's coming from somebody who watches nearly every game of his and is often very critical of him. But I think most people know that he had a good World Cup and nothing else. Might make him a bit overrated but I find it a bit odd that he is the first player that comes to your mind.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Trippier was one of England's best players in open play too. He is absolutely in contention for best RB at the WC. And that's coming from somebody who watches nearly every game of his and is often very critical of him. But I think most people know that he had a good World Cup and nothing else. Might make him a bit overrated but I find it a bit odd that he is the first player that comes to your mind.

I watch him regularly for the Spurs, WC aside.
I saw very little from him in open play, but I will say it was a hard tournament to fully gauge a player in England's draw.
Their only games that counted that they played vs opposition which wanted to attack and play was in the semis and 3rd place playoff - and they showed very little there, Trippier included.

He's the first player that comes to mind (for me, personally) because, like I said, every English pundit was hyping him up like the 2nd coming of Cafu, when in reality he's a decent-but-not-great 27-year old player.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Underrated: Antonio Rudiger. He improved so much over the course of last season, and he has so much raw physical talent. I already think he's an incredibly solid CB, and with the right manager (hopefully Sarri I suppose?) I think he can develop like Boateng did.

Underrated: Juan Mata. Always has been. Had a multi-year stretch as the best CAM in the EPL before Mourinho came back to Chelsea, and he's still a very talented creative playmaker.

Underrated: James Milner. Nothing sparkling about him, but consistently solid. Does what he needs to do.

Overrated: Antoine Griezmann. Great striker, great player, and a player who I really like and try to replicate stylistically when I play. No way in hell was this man the third best player of the World Cup, and there are a couple forwards I'd still take over him.

Overrated: Marcus Rashford. Kid's got talent, but I don't really get the hype and I think it's English media longing for the old days when the Man U academy pumped out gems.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Overrated: Toni Kroos. The guy is pretty good but not as good as those that don't watch him regularly make him out to be.

Underrated: Agreed with one of the posters above. Brozovic is really underrated. Also, Mikel Oyarzabal from Real Sociedad. Can't believe he is still playing there.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Overrated: Kroos, Pogba, Hazard, Dybala
Underrated: Firmino, Mertens, Insigne, Pjanic

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Underrated: James Milner. Nothing sparkling about him, but consistently solid. Does what he needs to do.
Milner is one of the most versatile and consistent players there is. He's not great at anything, but you can plug him into almost any position on the pitch and get a solid performance out of him.

Reactions: YNWA14

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Going to do some in the past...

Overrated: Fernando Torres, Marek Hamsik, Christian Pulisic, and every single English/American player
Underrated: Nicolas Anelka, Ki Sung-Yueng, Tomas Rosicky, and every single Balkan player

Overrated: Kroos, Pogba, Hazard, Dybala
Underrated: Firmino, Mertens, Insigne, Pjanic
Or in other words....

Overated: Every single player in the EPL not on Liverpool
Underrated: Every single player on Liverpool

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Underrated:
Niklas Süle. He's got Boateng's body and Hummels' brain and technique. An absolute beast in the making, and only 22.
Over: Kroos
Overrated: Toni Kroos. The guy is pretty good but not as good as those that don't watch him regularly make him out to be.
Overrated: Kroos

I like this thread.

Or in other words....

Overated: Every single player in the EPL not on Liverpool
Underrated: Every single player on Liverpool

Those certainly are other words. They also happen to say something very different.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Those certainly are other words. They also happen to say something very different.
Yeah...I was a bit confused by that post. I mean, I'd be happy to take Mertens, Pjanic and Insigne on Liverpool. Dybala and Kroos don't play in the EPL either but...I know people love their narratives.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah...I was a bit confused by that post. I mean, I'd be happy to take Mertens, Pjanic and Insigne on Liverpool. Dybala and Kroos don't play in the EPL either but...I know people love their narratives.
Yeah, I'm a Chelsea fan and I even agree with your take on those 3 EPL players. Firmino is underrated because he's just not a typical #9, so you can't just look at his goal numbers, which is what people do with that position. Pogba and Hazard are still great players, but they aren't consistently at the level that they have the potential to be at and the level that people put them at. I do want to see what Hazard can do with Sarri though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, I'm a Chelsea fan and I even agree with your take on those 3 EPL players. Firmino is underrated because he's just not a typical #9, so you can't just look at his goal numbers, which is what people do with that position. Pogba and Hazard are still great players, but they aren't consistently at the level that they have the potential to be at and the level that people put them at. I do want to see what Hazard can do with Sarri though.
Managers make a big difference for sure, and I agree that Pogba and Hazard are two of the more talented players in the world. That's not to say they aren't already great players, but I don't think they're as good as they're hyped to be at this point.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Managers make a big difference for sure, and I agree that Pogba and Hazard are two of the more talented players in the world. That's not to say they aren't already great players, but I don't think they're as good as they're hyped to be at this point.
Right, they need to add consistency to match their hype IMO. I wish other people would understand that you can be great, and still be overrated.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I do watch him regularly, personally. Every Barca game and every Real game.
There's a reason why he's won so much stuff and played a part in all of those teams, and why he's mentioned all the time among the best midfielders by his peers - he is, actually, world class.
He if, in fact, a top, top midfielder, certainly top-10, very likely top-5 (Modric, KDB, Kante, Kroos would be my top-4, 5th is debatable, though I'd go for a homer pick in Rakitic).

I'll put it a different way. He plays a style of football that is effective but that the vast majority of casual fans don't and cannot appreciate.
Also, he's much better defensively than people give him credit for. Him and Modric are so vital and the key to Madrid being possibly the only team in Europe almost immune to high press.
Yet some people still don't get it, even after three CLs in a row.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dunno...Kroos is great in possession but he has been absolutely exposed multiple times in high profile matches only to be carried/saved by Modric, Casemiro and the work of Benzema (as well as the offensive firepower of guys like Ronaldo, Bale and co.). He certainly has his uses and no doubt he is a top midfielder, I don't think anyone is saying he's bad, but he's not a top 5 midfielder for me at least and I think that's where the majority of the football world rates him.

I genuinely feel you could replace Kroos on the Real Madrid squad with a bunch of midfielders and they probably still win as much, if not more.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Under = Jose Izquierdo.

Unreal on the ball, explosive, and has a decent shot. Doesn't get much air time cause he plays for Brighton.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I dunno...Kroos is great in possession but he has been absolutely exposed multiple times in high profile matches only to be carried/saved by Modric, Casemiro and the work of Benzema (as well as the offensive firepower of guys like Ronaldo, Bale and co.). He certainly has his uses and no doubt he is a top midfielder, I don't think anyone is saying he's bad, but he's not a top 5 midfielder for me at least and I think that's where the majority of the football world rates him.

I genuinely feel you could replace Kroos on the Real Madrid squad with a bunch of midfielders and they probably still win as much, if not more.
I have never seen a reason to move away from the view I developed watching Kroos over the years: he's a catalyst. In a well-oiled machine, he makes things go even smoother. If there's sand in the cogs, he's not one to pick the team up and carry it into working. There's obvious value to what he does, and whether those abilities make him a top-5/top-10/top-20 midfielder is for everyone to decide. I'll still take Thiago over him, just about any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad