Underrated/Overrated Players of 2019-20:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
DeGea did become a bit overrated. My biggest issue is he's terrible with the ball at his feet, which has become a problem.

His shot stopping skills are incredible though. Not taking that away from him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
DeGea did become a bit overrated. My biggest issue is he's terrible with the ball at his feet, which has become a problem.

His shot stopping skills are incredible though. Not taking that away from him.
Oblak is sort of the same, but he's a way better GK than DDG.

On that note, I understand Oblak and a guy like Godin aren't the best with the ball at their feet, but I'd probably take those 2 in their primes over any CB + GK pair the 5-10 years besides VvD + Alisson.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Oblak is sort of the same, but he's a way better GK than DDG.

On that note, I understand Oblak and a guy like Godin aren't the best with the ball at their feet, but I'd probably take those 2 in their primes over any CB + GK pair the 5-10 years besides VvD + Alisson.
I dont know about that... there's Iker/Ramos and Nuer/hummels or Boateng. All in the discussion. Nothing beats MAtS and any pylon in front of him though,.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I dont know about that... there's Iker/Ramos and Nuer/hummels or Boateng. All in the discussion. Nothing beats MAtS and any pylon in front of him though,.
Those players you mentioned have better teams around them. Starting a team I would take Oblak and Godin.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
These two lists have too many names but can you explain me how a 16 year old starting at FCB (17 now) is OVERRATED? It's unprecedented even if injuries, the kid is clearly already good with loads of potential.

He’s treated as the Messi successor. He has nowhere near that potential, in my opinion. I think he’s a CF and his potential is more similar to what you see out of Suarez, although there are stylistic differences.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Those players you mentioned have better teams around them. Starting a team I would take Oblak and Godin.

Disagree... I think you take the better players arguably

He’s treated as the Messi successor. He has nowhere near that potential, in my opinion. I think he’s a CF and his potential is more similar to what you see out of Suarez, although there are stylistic differences.

He's definitely not treated as Messi's successor. At least not here . Even Suarez is a stretch.

Very good keeper. Not on the level of ter-Stegen. There seems to be near consensus that he’s the best keeper in the world. I think he’s second or third before or after Oblak.

I think there's no consensus on whos better here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's definitely not treated as Messi's successor. At least not here . Even Suarez is a stretch.

That we can agree about, but do a quick google search with the names Fati and Messi. I searched two pages of results. I found articles from AS, ESPN, Forbes, to name some of them, that directly made a reference to him as a Messi successor. You follow football media coverage. You know some people say these things because he’s been successful at a similar age to Messi. You also know that he simply does not possess the talent Messi had. A lot have ignored that and pointed to his accomplishments over his skillset.

I think there's no consensus on whos better here.

I wasn’t talking about here. I was talking about the football media and social media. Maybe because I’m a native English speaker I hear a lot more of the English language punditry and discussion, but I think anytime there’s a very good Premier League player, especially at a team that’s currently having a lot of success, they are the best and it doesn’t matter what others around the continent are doing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oblak is the Martin Brodeur of keepers. Obviously great but Played behind the trap For the better part of his career. Brodeur better at distribution though obviously. Kind of hard for me to put Oblak higher than 3rd because of it. Best two are Alisson and MATS.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Oblak is the Martin Brodeur of keepers. Obviously great but Played behind the trap For the better part of his career. Brodeur better at distribution though obviously. Kind of hard for me to put Oblak higher than 3rd because of it. Best keepers are DDG, Henderson, Romero, and Grant.

Fixed that last sentence for you. :sarcasm:

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Oblak might be the only keeper i’ve never seen done a complete Rembrandt. All the other ones usually does a couple every season but not him. Not that i watch every Atleticogame or so.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That we can agree about, but do a quick google search with the names Fati and Messi. I searched two pages of results. I found articles from AS, ESPN, Forbes, to name some of them, that directly made a reference to him as a Messi successor. You follow football media coverage. You know some people say these things because he’s been successful at a similar age to Messi. You also know that he simply does not possess the talent Messi had. A lot have ignored that and pointed to his accomplishments over his skillset.

Yeah, I wouldn't take sporting articles too seriously. Lost count on how many new Messi. Hell my favourite "new Messi" article was about a player once 6 months older than Lio. So...

I wasn’t talking about here. I was talking about the football media and social media. Maybe because I’m a native English speaker I hear a lot more of the English language punditry and discussion, but I think anytime there’s a very good Premier League player, especially at a team that’s currently having a lot of success, they are the best and it doesn’t matter what others around the continent are doing.

I also would ignore everything on social media.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
ek5x0e18d5l41.jpg

They don't make keepers/systems like they used to, but DDG had the best season in a long time.
I think it is more because premier league football has evolved to a more offensive approach the past few years.

When you have coaches like Guardiola, Pochettino, Klopp coming in to the premier league, it seems like they brought new ideas and concept that was very different from the Mourinho, Ferguson and Benitez era.

Now it's all about creating chances with pressure and players high up the pitch. Forcing errors, having higher possession %, and suffocate the other teams. Therefore top teams goalkeepers are not having as many shots as in the past but more quality shots. Also they need to be good with their feet to create counter attack and build up plays.

That's also IMO of the biggest reason behind the sudden rise of English Football in Europe (Champion League and Europa League) and why the current Liverpool/Manchester City team are to be considered some of the best premier league teams of all time.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it is more because premier league football has evolved to a more offensive approach the past few years.

When you have coaches like Guardiola, Pochettino, Klopp coming in to the premier league, it seems like they brought new ideas and concept that was very different from the Mourinho, Ferguson and Benitez era.

Now it's all about creating chances with pressure and players high up the pitch. Forcing errors, having higher possession %, and suffocate the other teams. Therefore top teams goalkeepers are not having as many shots as in the past but more quality shots. Also they need to be good with their feet to create counter attack and build up plays.

That's also IMO of the biggest reason behind the sudden rise of English Football in Europe (Champion League and Europa League) and why the current Liverpool/Manchester City team are to be considered some of the best premier league teams of all time.
Sudden rise of English football in Europe?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Sudden rise of English football in Europe?
Yep, last year they won CL/Europa (all 4 clubs from england)
The prior year they were CL finalist.
Prior to that they won the Europa league.

They is certainly been a rise from english clubs lately.

Before that it was all a German and Spanish teams domination

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yep, last year they won CL/Europa (all 4 clubs from england)
The prior year they were CL finalist.
Prior to that they won the Europa league.

They is certainly been a rise from english clubs lately.

Before that it was all a German and Spanish teams domination
Sure, but your post makes it seem like the transition to more attacking football is the reason for that when England had a similar type of run when clubs were playing more neutral/defensive. There was an 8 year stretch from 04/05 to 11/12, where an English club was in the finals 7 times, with one all English final, and 3 champions. In the years between Man City and Chelsea each made it to a semi.

To me the change in style didn't really have an affect. Chelsea/Man U kept England at the top in that stretch for the most part, and it took City/Liverpool/Spurs a bit of time to reach the top after players at Chelsea/Man U got past their prime or moved on. And even in the Germany/Spain/Juve stretch, Juve and Atletico are mostly defensive sides.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spurs frankly weren't supposed to be in the final and wasn't the second best team in Europe last year.
And I don't remember people praising the portugese league when it had 2 teams in the Europa League final, nor the ukrainian league when Donetsk won it.
Europa league isn't much of a measuring stick since it depends how seriously teams take it.
Nobody takes the CL lightly however.

So let's stick to last year which was an all EPL final, the year before (finalist) and this year to talk about the resurgence or not.
This year, Liverpool is out, Tottenham is out, Chelsea is basically out and City has a great chance of going through.
If the first legs results continue :
EPL is on par for having 1 in the QF (chance of having 0).
Italy 1 (chance of having 3).
France 2 (chance of having 1).
Germany 2.
Spain 2 (chance of having 1).

I think it's fair to say it's way too early to say it's a resurgence.

Reactions: Gecklund

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Why my point about Premier League now focussed about playing offensive football (which has been having a impact on goalkeeper save %) has now been switched into a premier league dominating europe...

Fine I don't mind if people still consider the EPL had the inferior european league that was not my point anyway... such a subjective/sensitive topic anyway.

Nonetheless, these LFC and Manchester City teams of the past few seasons are still some of the best premier league side ever (including the 2005-2012 EPL good stretch in Europe) and that I truly believe it. More so if City can win the CL (which they have a great chance) and the main reason are their respective manager and how they brought different strategies and mentality.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My point was just that I don't agree with the general switch to offensive football has led to increase Europe success. Defensive sides are still successful in Europe and defensive English sides were successful in recent enough times too. It's the whole correlation/causation.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spurs frankly weren't supposed to be in the final and wasn't the second best team in Europe last year.
And I don't remember people praising the portugese league when it had 2 teams in the Europa League final, nor the ukrainian league when Donetsk won it.
Europa league isn't much of a measuring stick since it depends how seriously teams take it.
Nobody takes the CL lightly however.

So let's stick to last year which was an all EPL final, the year before (finalist) and this year to talk about the resurgence or not.
This year, Liverpool is out, Tottenham is out, Chelsea is basically out and City has a great chance of going through.
If the first legs results continue :
EPL is on par for having 1 in the QF (chance of having 0).
Italy 1 (chance of having 3).
France 2 (chance of having 1).
Germany 2.
Spain 2 (chance of having 1).

I think it's fair to say it's way too early to say it's a resurgence.
Spurs weren’t supposed to be on the final, well discount Europa but then use Liverpool going out against a team they dominated and had their backup keeper gift them a goal in extra time as an example of England faltering this year?

It’s not early to say it’s a resurgence. Heck if City had been on the other side of the bracket it may have been an all England final 2 years in a row. It’s plain to see that it won’t be slowing down after this season either.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

I agree with you. Who said he's the Messi successor? I have not heard such comments here in Barcelona

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad