Underrated/Overrated Players of 2019-20:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I did a thread like this last year and thought I would bring it back :

1) Someone who has been underrated

2) Someone who has been overrated

An explanation is always appreciated as well!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here's what I have for both categories. I tried to initially come up with an equal number of both, but I abandoned that, and tried to make a list for each category.

Overrated: Felix, E. Hazard, de Ligt, Werner, L. Hernandez, Donnarumma, Zaniolo, Zaha, A. Traore, Havertz, Ferran Torres, Mount, Rudiger, Fati, Ndidi, Onana, Reus, Olmo, Pavard, Rashica, Kehrer, Guerreiro, J. Gomez, di Maria, Kante, Alisson, D. Costa, Pique

Underrated: Sancho, Kimmich, G. Jesus, de Vrij, Thiago, I. Konate, Abraham, Brandt, Gündogan, Barella, D. Carlos, Jovic, Umtiti, James, Klostermann, B. Mendy, M. Diaby, Demirbay, Tapsoba, Bensabaini, Steffen, Neuhaus, Sommer, Zagadou, G. Martinelli, Greenwood, Handanovic, Busquets, Marcelo, Caravajal, Aubameyang, Payet, Bale, Mascarell, Kutucu

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
For underrated I'll say Fred. He had an incredible bounce back year for United and while he could have been a little better on the offensive side of the ball his industry in midfield with McTominay(also a possible candidate for underrated) has been huge.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Underrated: Emiliano Buendia.

• 6th in xA
  • T-3rd in Assists
  • 2nd in throughballs per 90
  • 2nd in passes into the box per 90
  • 4th in dribbles per game (with high completion rate
  • Most of his offense comes through the right side of the pitch, but his heat map usually covers the middle of the pitch
  • Makes 32% of his total passes going forward - he is not like sideways merchants like Xhaka and Jorginho
  • Insanely gifted player with high work-ethic that I've seen news outlets report he's going for 25-30m at max.
A direct offensive player who has insane work ethic, puts up Adama Traore-esque dribbling numbers, but is also a great play-maker? Pretty much seems like the perfect player in today's game.
If Palace wanted 80m for Zaha, Buendia is priceless.

Overrated: Harry Kane
  • He is a pretty damn good goal scorer, but I think there are too many areas in his game that is lacking
  • A lot of that is attributed to his ankle injury in 2018, he simply hasn't been the same impact player since.
  • I feel people still hold him up to the pre-ankle injury level, despite him not performing that highly since that injury.
  • Despite what the English media may tell you, he isn't a complete forward that can hold-up play, set-up his wingers and create spacing like a Benzema or Firmino in addition to the scoring.
  • His selfishness of wanting to play in the 2019 CL final forced Pochettino to bench Lucas Moura, who was on fire in the CL that year. He cost the team badly with his horrendous display in the final.
  • If Tammy Abraham repeats this season and if Kane stays at his current level, he deserves to start ahead of Kane for the NT. He won't though for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Aladyyn and koyvoo

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Here's what I have for both categories. I tried to initially come up with an equal number of both, but I abandoned that, and tried to make a list for each category.

Overrated: Felix, E. Hazard, de Ligt, Werner, L. Hernandez, Donnarumma, Zaniolo, Zaha, A. Traore, Havertz, Ferran Torres, Mount, Rudiger, Fati, Ndidi, Onana, Reus, Olmo, Pavard, Rashica, Kehrer, Guerreiro, J. Gomez, di Maria, Kante, Alisson, D. Costa, Pique

Underrated: Sancho, Kimmich, G. Jesus, de Vrij, Thiago, I. Konate, Abraham, Brandt, Gündogan, Barella, D. Carlos, Jovic, Umtiti, James, Klostermann, B. Mendy, M. Diaby, Demirbay, Tapsoba, Bensabaini, Steffen, Neuhaus, Sommer, Zagadou, G. Martinelli, Greenwood, Handanovic, Busquets, Marcelo, Caravajal, Aubameyang, Payet, Bale, Mascarell, Kutucu

These two lists have too many names but can you explain me how a 16 year old starting at FCB (17 now) is OVERRATED? It's unprecedented even if injuries, the kid is clearly already good with loads of potential.

Reactions: Gecklund

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
These two lists have too many names but can you explain me how a 16 year old starting at FCB (17 now) is OVERRATED? It's unprecedented even if injuries, the kid is clearly already good with loads of potential.
Maybe overrating his potential?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I haven't heard anything crazy about his potential, maybe I missed it here.

I havent heard anything wild but I can see why some people would doubt his potential. He had some nice moments with barca bu largely hi play stuck out in a bad way. Not that it was his fault. Just shows how clownish the board is.

Alisson is rated right where he is, in the discussion to be the top goalie in the world with MaTS, Oblak and De Gea.

DDG?

Reactions: Cassano

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I haven't heard anything crazy about his potential, maybe I missed it here.

Alisson is rated right where he is, in the discussion to be the top goalie in the world with MaTS, Oblak and De Gea.
De Gea is no longer in that group but yes.
Here is the thing with Alisson. Every bad knockout loss Liverpool has had during the Klopp era has been to bad goalkeeping. Alisson makes Liverpool an elite team. I’ve had to deal with Adrian, Mignolet, Karius costing them games against top competition. Alisson was man of the match in the champions league final last season. He made saves look routine, that I would have been scared to death if any of those other keepers have been in the net.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Which makes my OP valid. Nobody is comparing him to those guys, except for maybe LFC fans. I dont know of anyone that hasnt said he's elite. Making him not underrated.
I mean at the core of it we agree with each other. I think it’s fair to compare to the other guys though. Not sure the last time your team was finishing in the Europa slots as a best case scenario and getting knocked out of trophy competitions due to horrendous goalkeeping. All I’m trying to say is Alisson’s greatness is what transforms Liverpool, and that he is closer to underrated than he is overrated; which was suggested in my original comment

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Alisson is fairly rated. He's a very good and consistent keeper. I don't see him as underrated at all, but I also don't think his value is 'immeasurable'. With the team in front of them a consistently very good keeper would suffice; Alisson is one of the very best for sure, but the problem is more the dropoff from him to the guys that we've had otherwise. Gifting goals in important games seems to be a hallmark of our backups...and starters at times, while it feels like an time we play against a backup keeper they have the games of their lives.

I definitely don't think Liverpool's 'transformation' is down to Alisson. He's a part of the puzzle for sure though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Alisson is fairly rated. He's a very good and consistent keeper. I don't see him as underrated at all, but I also don't think his value is 'immeasurable'. With the team in front of them a consistently very good keeper would suffice; Alisson is one of the very best for sure, but the problem is more the dropoff from him to the guys that we've had otherwise. Gifting goals in important games seems to be a hallmark of our backups...and starters at times, while it feels like an time we play against a backup keeper they have the games of their lives.

I definitely don't think Liverpool's 'transformation' is down to Alisson. He's a part of the puzzle for sure though.
Agreed. He just happened to be the final piece, so he feels like he was the most important one.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I havent heard anything wild but I can see why some people would doubt his potential. He had some nice moments with barca bu largely hi play stuck out in a bad way. Not that it was his fault. Just shows how clownish the board is.

DDG?
DDG also in my overrated list. He had the best single season goalkeeping display I've seen when Utd were 2nd, but since then he's been quite average for Utd and downright terrible for Spain.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
DDG also in my overrated list. He had the best single season goalkeeping display I've seen when Utd were 2nd, but since then he's been quite average for Utd and downright terrible for Spain.
I find that year to be grossly overrated tooo.

Reactions: YNWA14

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think Utd were the 6th best team in the league at best that season.

They were the worst team to finish 2nd I've seen.

It was solely on de Gea too imo.
Still I wouldnt say best keeping performance ever. Just think its exaggerated

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
ek5x0e18d5l41.jpg

They don't make keepers/systems like they used to, but DDG had the best season in a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->