Underrated/Overrated Players of 2019-20:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with you. Who said he's the Messi successor? I have not heard such comments here in Barcelona

That we can agree about, but do a quick google search with the names Fati and Messi. I searched two pages of results. I found articles from AS, ESPN, Forbes, to name some of them, that directly made a reference to him as a Messi successor. You follow football media coverage. You know some people say these things because he’s been successful at a similar age to Messi. You also know that he simply does not possess the talent Messi had. A lot have ignored that and pointed to his accomplishments over his skillset.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Underrated: Antonio Rudiger

Overrated: Heung-Min Son (he's very very good, but there's a lot of revisionism about Spurs's past couple years going on that overplays him and underplays Kane - Kane is significantly better)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
From a neutral point of view I don't find any player from Liverpool is overrated.

Firmino is underrated and so is Wijnaldum IMO.

Reactions: YNWA14

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Almost all are overrated when they're talked about as best at their position.
It's the sum of all parts that made them who they are.
That doesn't mean they don't PERFORM at a top level.
It just means their drawbacks are less exposed by their team and their strong points are put forward.
You put this team with Mourinho and nobody says they're top 3 players at their position.

Reactions: les Habs

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Harry Maguire is a player that doesn't get nearly enough credit tbh
It's a tough spot with him because he's clearly overrated by a some since he was sold for a world record fee, but I think that has also made people disrespect his a ability a little bit. I still think he's better suited as a 2CB for a top end team than being the anchor defensively.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's a tough spot with him because he's clearly overrated by a some since he was sold for a world record fee, but I think that has also made people disrespect his a ability a little bit. I still think he's better suited as a 2CB for a top end team than being the anchor defensively.
Overrated in the English world and accurately rated everywhere else?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Overrated in the English world and accurately rated everywhere else?

He is pretty polarizing in the English world. A lot of people think he is amazing and the savior of the defense. On the other hand there are plenty of people who think he is criminally overrated and will claim their club's CBs are close to Maguire or better than him, at a much cheaper price. I fall into the second category; I would way rather have Dunk thank Maguire!

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's the 3rd best CB in England. Take that as you will.
I’d take VvD, Laporte for sure and I’m assuming those are the two. Soyuncu, Gomez, Rudiger, Alderweireld, Vertoghen, Diop, and Ake all have varying arguments. I think I’d put him right in between Rudiger and Alderweireld.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I thought the Soyuncu nonsense ended months ago. The Spurs CBs are washed and Gomez is overrated because Liverpool (and has never played more than 23 PL games in a season).

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’d take VvD, Laporte for sure and I’m assuming those are the two. Soyuncu, Gomez, Rudiger, Alderweireld, Vertoghen, Diogo, and Ake all have varying arguments. I think I’d put him right in between Rudiger and Alderweireld.
Laporte and VVD are very clearly better. Than I'd say Rudiger, Vert, and Maguire are all pretty similar level players and Soyuncu/Gomez might be a little behind right now but should overtake him soon I'd say.

Also I think Alderweireld has historically been better but Maguire was for sure better this season.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I thought the Soyuncu nonsense ended months ago. The Spurs CBs are washed and Gomez is overrated because Liverpool (and has never played more than 23 PL games in a season).
Why did he get corona?

They're not washed might not have had the best year but certainly not washed.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gomez is anything but overrated. He’s probably the third best tbh.

Maguire is a solid CB. Nothing special. I wouldn’t have him top 5.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Maguire's overrating by clubs (which manifested in the absurd transfer fee) has resulted in him being underrated by fans. He's a very good CB.

I'm not sure that Jonny Evans is better than Caglar Soyuncu, but he's definitely underrated.

Reactions: les Habs

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Maguire's overrating by clubs (which manifested in the absurd transfer fee) has resulted in him being underrated by fans. He's a very good CB.
He’s not elite, but he’s at the top of the tier right below that. And it’s a shame his fee has caused people to look over how good he is.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Gaetano Castrovilli, probably the best Italian midfielder and nobody is talking about him. Luckily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad