Post-Game Talk: Uncomfortably comfortable win

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The other factor could be if Eichel heals too quick, then they'll have to dump at least $8M mid season either through other LTIR assignments, shortening their roster (which they have at least the option with their farm team in state) or trades. You have to assume they are going to try and set the narrative to be that his recovery will take longer than the doctors are saying, currently 3 months, but they are already trying to say 4-5 months despite the prior reports saying otherwise.

He’ll take a conditioning stint or something if he is ready early.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Markstrom takes a penalty and Hrudey sounds like he’s about to cry

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Markstrom takes a penalty and Hrudey sounds like he’s about to cry

Really I thought they were going to stop the game and suspend it. Flames refusing to play or get on with things and spending over a minute arguing the call instead of lining up for a faceoff. NHL: This is fine, nothing odd to see hear.. Would love to see Flames get an unsportsmanlike sometime. EVERY friggen time they get a penalty for anything its this f***ing complaining about it and not even going to the bench. They delay the game regularly doing this. This totally being allowed.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Really I thought they were going to stop the game and suspend it. Flames refusing to play or get on with things and spending over a minute arguing the call instead of lining up for a faceoff. NHL: This is fine, nothing odd to see hear.. Would love to see Flames get an unsportsmanlike sometime. EVERY friggen time they get a penalty for anything its this f***ing complaining about it and not even going to the bench. They delay the game regularly doing this. This totally being allowed.

back in my days of reffing hockey as a teenager, I had a team try to pull that and slapped them with a 2nd minor to the bench for delay of game, putting them down to 5 on 3, and told the coach to ice his team or im really going to through the book at them

in conclusion, get rid of the mandates n let the refs just call the game as needed

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
This mindset always boggles my mind. The Oilers are 8-1, which is an .89 winning percentage. OF COURSE, they won't be doing this forever against all of the better teams.

But do you know what teams beat up on average and below-average teams almost all of the time? The really good ones and nobody else. Even with a lot of sub-standard hockey being played, I feel like almost none of these games have ever really been in doubt either.
Well that just isn't true. Even the best contenders won't win worst teams in the league 9 out of 10. This isn't basketball.

We can have a bet for those games! You can choose your 3-5 best teams and 3-5 worst teams. Everytime those teams face each other and a top team wins you win $10, everytime bottom team wins I win $90. Lets see who understands probabilities better.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Water is wet...no team in the league will stay at this pace, good teams beat bad teams, why are do many oil fans immediately try and downplaying this team, it's bizarre.
Not downplaying. I would want Oilers to be as good as possible. So rather have a team who gets 60% xG and rocks a 8-1 record than 50% xG and 8-1 record.

The first example would be much more likely to maintain such a good record.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
While I’d agree that we could stand to improve our puck possession and management, the scheduling thing is starting to become less valid of a point. Simply put, there aren’t that many good teams in the league and you can’t play against yourself if you’re one of them.
Yes it is true that there is one top team less when you are one of them. But there are at least 10 better teams than CGY, PHI or SEA. Next game is against NYR, that is so far the best team, but still not a true contender.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Meh, I think PP will only get better once Pulju and Bouc are on the first unit full time over Barrie/Hyman.

Many of the weak/average teams you have listed are off to decent starts and some are calling Flames cup contenders.

By ur logic there are only 6 or 7 'good' teams in the league.

You can only beat the teams that you face so ... So far so good.

Next stretch of games with NYR, BOS, STL, WPG might be the toughest we will see til February 2022 ..
If we are looking at full season sample size, 19-20 Oilers team had the best powerplay% in quite same time, it ended up at 29.5. A team rocking a over 45% PP isn't going to maintain or get better. I could bet everything I own that it will come down.

Well thats why you don't judge teams abilities too much from 10 game sample size. Buffalo and Anaheim have a point more than Colorado. That should be enough to understand how "valuable" info standings give after 10 games.

And I don't understand people whos opinions about team strenghts change after every 5 games. Oilers were close to top5 team before the season and Oilers still close to a top5 team after 9 games. Calgary was about an average team as you can be and they are still. Both warrant a slight upgrade, but nothing major.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Not downplaying. I would want Oilers to be as good as possible. So rather have a team who gets 60% xG and rocks a 8-1 record than 50% xG and 8-1 record.

The first example would be much more likely to maintain such a good record.
the point went over your head.
No one is going to maintain this record.. lolol, you are literally downplaying.. first losing streak of this season this forum will be unreadable with the negativity.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
the point went over your head.
No one is going to maintain this record.. lolol, you are literally downplaying.. first losing streak of this season this forum will be unreadable with the negativity.
Thats why I dont get high when the team wins or low when the team loses. Few games have literally no meaning in grand scheme of things.

Edit. And when I am not watching Oilers game I have to look every team objectively. No homer glasses or opinions.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
What a distorted look. Philly, Calgary, Nashville are probably above average clubs. Anaheim is certainly not a bottom 5 team anymore. Vegas are certainly not dreadful. Your every rating of the opponents above takes the worst view of our opponents just so you can conclude the schedule is weak.

Take away the Arizona game and we've collectively played teams that are a combined .500. I mean everybody gets to play Arizona right, I mean that division gets to play them more. We don't even have a league worst type team in this division.

We've only played 9 games and we've already played two clubs that have the 5th and 8th highest win percentage in the league. The question you have to ask yourself is who outside of Carolina or Florida are currently showing that they are very good? You've somehow described clubs that ARE part of that group as "Average" just to suit your argument.
So you think current standings are good measurement of team strength? So CGY and STL are top5 teams, PHI and WPG are top10 teams. CBJ, SJS and BUF are playoff teams.

Also COL, PIT, NYI and BOS are worse than Anaheim. You must be genius! Forget what every player has done in hundreds of games in the past and relatively same teams performed last year.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
100%
back in my days of reffing hockey as a teenager, I had a team try to pull that and slapped them with a 2nd minor to the bench for delay of game, putting them down to 5 on 3, and told the coach to ice his team or im really going to through the book at them

in conclusion, get rid of the mandates n let the refs just call the game as needed
delay of game, unsportsmanship what ever you want. call it

Reactions: yukoner88

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
So you think current standings are good measurement of team strength? So CGY and STL are top5 teams, PHI and WPG are top10 teams. CBJ, SJS and BUF are playoff teams.

Also COL, PIT, NYI and BOS are worse than Anaheim. You must be genius! Forget what every player has done in hundreds of games in the past and relatively same teams performed last year.
so your argument is the top teams arent playing to their full capabilities yet but somehow the oilers are not going to improve as well? the oilers will finish top 5 in the league and it doesnt matter what advanced stat metric is behind it. they are that good

Reactions: jesusbuiltmyhotrod

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
so your argument is the top teams arent playing to their full capabilities yet but somehow the oilers are not going to improve as well? the oilers will finish top 5 in the league and it doesnt matter what advanced stat metric is behind it. they are that good
Exactly, seems like he's trolling with his circular logic.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Exactly, seems like he's trolling with his circular logic.

the oilers have beat every single team they should have, they were down vs anahiem and came back to win, 2-3 years ago they lose that game. they are finding ways to win while not playing their best hockey yet. LOL if someone said the oilers would be 8-1 and koskinen would have played 7 of the games before the season started most people would have laughed their face.

Reactions: jesusbuiltmyhotrod

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Thats why I dont get high when the team wins or low when the team loses. Few games have literally no meaning in grand scheme of things.

Edit. And when I am not watching Oilers game I have to look every team objectively. No homer glasses or opinions.
Lol sure jan, not much objectivity in your posts...only the oil won't get better apparently

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Many top teams have faced injury problems to start the year. Colorado ja Vegas have been hit worst, Tampa is again without Kucherov. That plays a part.

Teams can and probably will improve, but you never know how much a certain team will. At best you can have educated guesses. The issue is that basic fans don't really understand how much variance/luck (whatever you wanna call it) can be in short period of times. The team that deserves to win doesn't always win, so why would you look at standings to figure out who is good and who is bad.

Go run a coiflip simulator and see what kind of freak runs you will get. Sad sack Buffalo team won 10 games in a row couple years ago and lead the league at that point. At the end of the season they mustered 76 points.

Philly for example rocks a 103.8 PDO. That won't continue, Calgary probably will be a top10 team if Markström plays 70 games with current 1.85 GAA and 93.6 sv%. But I doubt he can maintain those. They have over performed and because of that they are higher in the standings than they "should be". There are multiple ways you can run good in hockey for a while, but eventually they will come back to ground.

Oilers are good. But I want them to be better, the best in the league. It doesn't happen of they are below average possession and xG team. Sure can finish in top5. With this start the playoffs are pretty much lock already (barring injuries to 97 and 29), improving should be the goal at this point.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Many top teams have faced injury problems to start the year. Colorado ja Vegas have been hit worst, Tampa is again without Kucherov. That plays a part.

Teams can and probably will improve, but you never know how much a certain team will. At best you can have educated guesses. The issue is that basic fans don't really understand how much variance/luck (whatever you wanna call it) can be in short period of times. The team that deserves to win doesn't always win, so why would you look at standings to figure out who is good and who is bad.

Go run a coiflip simulator and see what kind of freak runs you will get. Sad sack Buffalo team won 10 games in a row couple years ago and lead the league at that point. At the end of the season they mustered 76 points.

Philly for example rocks a 103.8 PDO. That won't continue, Calgary probably will be a top10 team if Markström plays 70 games with current 1.85 GAA and 93.6 sv%. But I doubt he can maintain those. They have over performed and because of that they are higher in the standings than they "should be". There are multiple ways you can run good in hockey for a while, but eventually they will come back to ground.

Oilers are good. But I want them to be better, the best in the league. It doesn't happen of they are below average possession and xG team. Sure can finish in top5. With this start the playoffs are pretty much lock already (barring injuries to 97 and 29), improving should be the goal at this point.
the oilers lost their starting goalie 2 games into the season. the result is 6-1 record since then. they are building a cushion now to protect vs lulls that happen to EVERY team. the st louis blues went from last place like actual last place at xmas and won the cup. your advanced stat agrument is just going circular and making excuses for other teams while not giving the oilers the same benefit? the oilers beat the shit out of the flames and they have only lost a couple times since. The oilers are a top 5 team despite their underlying stats, that dont mean much anyway when your PP is near 50%, the PK is top 5-6ish and you are giving up limited grade A scoring chances every game.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The Oilers are top 10 in the league in 5v5 goals and 5v5 goals/game.

Citing this as a massive weakness is just dishonest.

Reactions: CornKicker and TB12

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

Wow, you absolutely don’t understand the concept of a variable when it comes to statistics, do you?

Ah yes, there it is...

Last edited:
Reactions: CornKicker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad