UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I spoke to Landry yesterday. He's still deciding about next year. He's had lots of offers for ATO's for the end of the season. Sounds like he's going to take the summer to figure it out and see if he can land a good AHL contract.

Reactions: Rob and AUS Fan

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Any update on doing a 2020’s all decade team?
Pushed it out to next season as I fell behind on building the site. We also ran out of non-event nights where we could make the announcement - Gardiner doesn't like promotions during Play-off games (sing the anthem and let's go) so moving to next season was the best option instead of forcing it into a tight time-frame.

Reactions: AUS Fan and dm8895

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
The six-game exhibition game limit in the AUS really puts a damper on building the Pete Kelly Cup back up, but it could be done if the teams cooperated on schedules. Bring in say UdeM, UQTR, and Ottawa or McGill. It is expensive though covering all the hosting costs, which is why I believe it was downsized.

It is really, really expensive bringing in the NCAA Div I teams. They want similar dollars to their net gate for a home game, plus all the travel costs. And they can only leave the States once every 4 years, and sometimes guard that one slot so carefully they never use it. Meanwhile teams like BC are flying to Ireland now.

But I think the biggest factor is the NCAA schedule change, which I believe means that the US roadtrip is no longer a preseason roadtrip. And the Ivy League schools want to play in January.
Would like to see them play at Maine in January.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Interesting. Jason Willms is on the Toledo Walleye roster.
Not on Elite Prospects. Maybe signed but not confirmed?

Rumored that Keating is looking for an AHL offer. Just a rumor.

Oh, well. UNB is getting Reynolds, Elliot and perhaps Arnsby.

Edit: and just like that I see "The Chicago Wolves have signed forward Austen Keating to an Amateur Tryout Contract."

Last edited:
Reactions: AUC Regular

AUC Regular

Aug 22, 2023
Wearing #21 is a pretty good confirmation.

Good for all three of them. It was fun watching them play and develop.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I spoke to Landry yesterday. He's still deciding about next year. He's had lots of offers for ATO's for the end of the season. Sounds like he's going to take the summer to figure it out and see if he can land a good AHL contract.

If UNB has all their D returning they are going to be sitting pretty.

I’d rather Boston, it’s a more fun road trip lol

Both Boston teams are loaded with NHL draft picks. I would much rather see them play Maine. They are a good enough test.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Even without Landry they should be fine on ‘D’.

I’m more concerned about replacing the 120 points Keating/Gilmour/Willms produced. With all due respect to the rumoured recruits, they aren’t covering those losses IMHO. (Yes, I know it is still only March)

Reactions: dm8895

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach

I’m more concerned about replacing the 120 points Keating/Gilmour/Willms produced. With all due respect to the rumoured recruits, they aren’t covering those losses IMHO. (Yes, I know it is still only March)
We’ve also seen in the past that often a lot of the points come from returning guys. I think McGurn has a high ceiling and I expect we see more out of Sproule if he’s healthy.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
We’ve also seen in the past that often a lot of the points come from returning guys. I think McGurn has a high ceiling and I expect we see more out of Sproule if he’s healthy.
This is true…you have to expect some of those losses will be off-set by improvements from within. I agree with McGurn/Sproule being the two likeliest candidates to see increased production next year. Carson is another guy I could see taking a step forward (provided he’s back).

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
This is true…you have to expect some of those losses will be off-set by improvements from within. I agree with McGurn/Sproule being the two likeliest candidates to see increased production next year. Carson is another guy I could see taking a step forward (provided he’s back).
With that trio gone, I would think that they would be looking a 40 plus goal scorer, maybe 2.

AUC Regular

Aug 22, 2023
mY G

My guess is that the guys to replace those three haven't been "rumoured" yet, although Reynolds may fall into that category. And whatever trio they bring in won't get us 120 points. Realistically we are looking to replace 90 points with the "new" trio and the uptick from the vets.

With that trio gone, I would think that they would be looking a 40 plus goal scorer, maybe 2.
I would be OK with that. LOL

Campy

Jan 27, 2019

Unless an absolute horse comes in (players at that level will want pro), the recruits wouldn't be expected to cover those losses in year 1 and at least not in the beginning. Keating's point totals were 24, 27, 50. Gilmour was 27, 15 (half season), 30, 41. Willms 13, 29, 34.

McGurn, Corbeil, McKay, Morgan, Sproule will assume larger loads on offence in 24/25.
Recruits will slide in and assume the roles the above had over the past season or two.

Reactions: AUC Regular

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They finished the season with 22 skaters…with the loss of Keating/Gilmour/Willms that means they will have at least five roster spots to work with. However, I’m guessing at least a couple other guys won’t be back + they will keep at least two spots open for Christmas.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad