UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Doubtful. If they're grouping into 4 divisions, I'm sure for preseason play they just want close travel for those schools. Plus, budgets for travelling from Ontario to New Brunswick including busses, hotels, meals after a year where some school operated at a massive loss because of COVID wouldn't be cost feasable.
Indeed. A trip out of town may not be feasible. Local senior or junior teams might be attractive.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Interesting that MacDougall says they didn’t know who their opponent was going to be in the final….but UNB/St. FX was Saturday night…they would’ve known Alberta had beaten Saskatchewan earlier in the day. Yes, I am picking nits here…

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

Interesting that MacDougall says they didn’t know who their opponent was going to be in the final….but UNB/St. FX was Saturday night…they would’ve known Alberta had beaten Saskatchewan earlier in the day. Yes, I am picking nits here…

Agree - the USK fiasco vs ALB was in the afternoon.

I've found that Gardiner can get some of his highlights mixed-up with other games or events at times.

He mentioned that Rassell (pronounced as Razz-elle at one point) had played his entire career in the WHL at Lethbridge when in fact it was with Medicine Hat.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Agree - the USK fiasco vs ALB was in the afternoon.

I've found that Gardiner can get some of his highlights mixed-up with other games or events at times.

He mentioned that Rassell (pronounced as Razz-elle at one point) had played his entire career in the WHL at Lethbridge when in fact it was with Medicine Hat.

I’ll forgive him.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
StThomas-73x73.jpg

UNB needs to play the St. Thomas Tommies, coming to Div 1 next year.

St. Thomas Tommies (Minnesota) men's ice hockey

Reactions: freddy123

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Haven't done this in awhile...so here is how the roster is shaping up for 2021-2022:

GONE - ELIGIBILITY/PRO

G - Samuel Harvey
F - Stephen Anderson
F - Patrick Watling
F - Mark Simpson
F - Matthew Boucher
F - Kris Bennett
F - Oliver Cooper
F - Ben Hawerchuk
F - Dylan Seitz (not confirmed, but not showing on roster page)
F - Alexandre Goulet (not confirmed, but not showing on roster page)
D - Marcus McIvor
D - Matt Murphy
D - Olivier LeBlanc
D - Tristan Pomerleau

D - Nathan Larose

RETURNING (1 G + 5 F + 4 D)
G - Rylan Parenteau (4th year)
F - Tyler Boland (4th year)
F - Samuel Dove-McFalls (3rd year)
F - Mark Rassell (3rd year)
F - James McEwan (3rd year)
F - Brady Gilmour (2nd year)
D - Joe Gatenby (3rd year)
D - Noah Carroll (3rd year)
D - Benjamin Gagne (2nd year)
D - Connor Hall (2nd year)

CONFIRMED RECRUITS (1 G + 8 F + 3 D)
G - Griffen Outhouse
F - Austen Keating
F - Nicolas Guay
F - Jason Willms
F - Macauley Carson
F - Isaac Nurse
F - James Phelan
F - Brandon Saigeon
F - Thomas Casey
D - Kade Landry
D - Adam McCormick
D - Ross MacDougall (transfer, 3rd year)

Some observations:
- Obviously a ton of turnover, due to the pandemic and lost 2021-2021 season, with 14 players from the 2019-2020 AUS Championship team not returning.
- With Larose going pro it looks like they are now sitting at 2 G/13 F/7 D...so room to add two more players under the 22 player roster cap. Ideally they would fill out the roster with a forward and a defenceman...and leave at least one of those spots open for Christmas.
- They have lost a pile of offense with five (Watling/Anderson/Boucher/Bennett/Goulet) of their seven "point per game" players from 2019-2020 not returning. Only Boland and Rassell are back from arguably the most potent offensive team I have witnessed in my 20 years following the team.
- Having said that, Keating/Guay/Saigeon/Casey were all big scorers in junior with the other recruits all putting up decent numbers as well. I think one of their strengths will once again be their forward depth and the ability to get scoring/production from all four lines.
- The four departing defencemen are all big losses, especially Murphy. I'm not quite sure they have replaced their skillsets with the guys coming in so I am hopeful they can still add a stud on the back end.
- It sucks to lose Harvey after one, shortened season. He leaves big shoes to fill. We know Parenteau is solid, but you never know how rookie goalies are going to perform in this league (ie/ Harvey vs. Raaymakers) so it's anyone's guess how Outhouse will perform.
- I'm curious how everyone (not just UNB) looks after the majority of players have missed essentially 18 months of competition.
- The high turnover amongst all of the teams makes things intriguing as well...it's almost like everyone is starting from scratch in terms of building their teams. Certainly makes things more interesting than if it was just a normal offseason.

Reactions: Craig D and Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Don't get me wrong I'm happy university hockey is finally back. But I still haven't gotten over how 2020 ended. I feel we were three days away from seeing back to back USports champions. It will be at least a couple of season before the can come close to replicating that team.

A lot of talent loss but pretty much every team is in the same boat. I will have to look at all the roster's before predicting an AUS champ.

Reactions: Craig D and dm8895

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Don't get me wrong I'm happy university hockey is finally back. But I still haven't gotten over how 2020 ended. I feel we were three days away from seeing back to back USports champions. It will be at least a couple of season before the can come close to replicating that team.

A lot of talent loss but pretty much every team is in the same boat. I will have to look at all the roster's before predicting an AUS champ.
It’s early but I’m gonna say
UNB
Acadia
X
SMU
UPEI
Udem
Dal

Reactions: Craig D

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It’s early but I’m gonna say
UNB
Acadia
X
SMU
UPEI
Udem
Dal
I don’t want to go too far off topic and turn this into an AUS thread…but I’m curious about St. FX’s roster. Their roster page shows 22 skaters and that’s not including the 7 recruits they’ve announced this summer…so either they are losing a bunch more veterans or some of the guys they’ve brought in the last two years are going to “redshirt” the season.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I agree…it’s still a punch in the gut we never got to see how the University Cup would’ve played out. There is no doubt in my mind UNB wins that tournament and the 2019/20 team goes down as one of the best ever.

Another thing I’m sure of? We aren’t going to get much sympathy from the others on this board haha.

Having said that, I’m excited for this year with all of the turnover in the rosters. It makes things seem more wide open than usual.

Reactions: Craig D and Rob

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Haven't done this in awhile...so here is how the roster is shaping up for 2021-2022:

GONE - ELIGIBILITY/PRO

G - Samuel Harvey
F - Stephen Anderson
F - Patrick Watling
F - Mark Simpson
F - Matthew Boucher
F - Kris Bennett
F - Oliver Cooper
F - Ben Hawerchuk
F - Dylan Seitz (not confirmed, but not showing on roster page)
F - Alexandre Goulet (not confirmed, but not showing on roster page)
D - Marcus McIvor
D - Matt Murphy
D - Olivier LeBlanc
D - Tristan Pomerleau

D - Nathan Larose

RETURNING (1 G + 5 F + 4 D)
G - Rylan Parenteau (4th year)
F - Tyler Boland (4th year)
F - Samuel Dove-McFalls (3rd year)
F - Mark Rassell (3rd year)
F - James McEwan (3rd year)
F - Brady Gilmour (2nd year)
D - Joe Gatenby (3rd year)
D - Noah Carroll (3rd year)
D - Benjamin Gagne (2nd year)
D - Connor Hall (2nd year)

CONFIRMED RECRUITS (1 G + 8 F + 3 D)
G - Griffen Outhouse
F - Austen Keating
F - Nicolas Guay
F - Jason Willms
F - Macauley Carson
F - Isaac Nurse
F - James Phelan
F - Brandon Saigeon
F - Thomas Casey
D - Kade Landry
D - Adam McCormick
D - Ross MacDougall (transfer, 3rd year)

Some observations:
- Obviously a ton of turnover, due to the pandemic and lost 2021-2021 season, with 14 players from the 2019-2020 AUS Championship team not returning.
- With Larose going pro it looks like they are now sitting at 2 G/13 F/7 D...so room to add two more players under the 22 player roster cap. Ideally they would fill out the roster with a forward and a defenceman...and leave at least one of those spots open for Christmas.
- They have lost a pile of offense with five (Watling/Anderson/Boucher/Bennett/Goulet) of their seven "point per game" players from 2019-2020 not returning. Only Boland and Rassell are back from arguably the most potent offensive team I have witnessed in my 20 years following the team.
- Having said that, Keating/Guay/Saigeon/Casey were all big scorers in junior with the other recruits all putting up decent numbers as well. I think one of their strengths will once again be their forward depth and the ability to get scoring/production from all four lines.
- The four departing defencemen are all big losses, especially Murphy. I'm not quite sure they have replaced their skillsets with the guys coming in so I am hopeful they can still add a stud on the back end.
- It sucks to lose Harvey after one, shortened season. He leaves big shoes to fill. We know Parenteau is solid, but you never know how rookie goalies are going to perform in this league (ie/ Harvey vs. Raaymakers) so it's anyone's guess how Outhouse will perform.
- I'm curious how everyone (not just UNB) looks after the majority of players have missed essentially 18 months of competition.
- The high turnover amongst all of the teams makes things intriguing as well...it's almost like everyone is starting from scratch in terms of building their teams. Certainly makes things more interesting than if it was just a normal offseason.

Great Observations and I think most is right on! The guys looked great in the opening training camp practice. A big question mark for me would have been Outhouse...he looked excellent...quick, flexible...he looked like he belonged for sure! I think we will be strong again in goal...D will be interesting to see who we do there...Saigeon actually is not going to be skating with the REDS as well...he is moving on. So for sure we have a couple of open roster spots...still a few days to maybe sneak somebody in still for this term or there is always the gem/stud we will find (or two) at the holiday break!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Great Observations and I think most is right on! The guys looked great in the opening training camp practice. A big question mark for me would have been Outhouse...he looked excellent...quick, flexible...he looked like he belonged for sure! I think we will be strong again in goal...D will be interesting to see who we do there...Saigeon actually is not going to be skating with the REDS as well...he is moving on. So for sure we have a couple of open roster spots...still a few days to maybe sneak somebody in still for this term or there is always the gem/stud we will find (or two) at the holiday break!
Ouch…losing Saigeon hurts. That would leave them with only 12 forwards + Gagne, who can play either.

I wonder how many guys are going to training camps? Casey for sure (Buffalo)…so I’m guessing he won’t be available for some of the pre-season games.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Looks like Carson (SJ) and McCormick (LV) are both going to rookie camps…so shouldn’t expect them next weekend. Team will probably be shorthanded with those two + Casey gone.

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Ouch…losing Saigeon hurts. That would leave them with only 12 forwards + Gagne, who can play either.

I wonder how many guys are going to training camps? Casey for sure (Buffalo)…so I’m guessing he won’t be available for some of the pre-season games.

I heard from one of the guys on the team that 4 were going to NHL camps...so yes a bit shorthanded to start exhibition...12 forwards and 7 defenceman right now...I believe they would have to get someone enrolled in classes this week in order for them to be eligible to play first half...GMAC always manages to pull in a gem or two for the second half!! They will be fine I am sure!

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Looks like Carson (SJ) and McCormick (LV) are both going to rookie camps…so shouldn’t expect them next weekend. Team will probably be shorthanded with those two + Casey gone.

Might affect the exhibition schedule but we will be good to go for season start!!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I heard from one of the guys on the team that 4 were going to NHL camps...so yes a bit shorthanded to start exhibition...12 forwards and 7 defenceman right now...I believe they would have to get someone enrolled in classes this week in order for them to be eligible to play first half...GMAC always manages to pull in a gem or two for the second half!! They will be fine I am sure!

Looks like Keating is at Arizona’s camp.

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Anyone planning to make the trek to Moncton to catch Sunday afternoon's exhibition opener with UdeM?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad