UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Is UNB practicing now? I’ve been waiting for something on Twitter or in the Gleaner, but there hasn’t been any mention of anything yet.
And a follow up to this , if they are, is their any restrictions on being inside the AUC? At this point I would kill to go watch practice .

Reactions: Craig D

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
When I was talking to Gards a few weeks ago he said they'd be on the ice by the end of the month. So, guessing this week? I haven't spoken with him since then. UPEI is on the ice, SMU was supposed to start 21 Sep. Guessing UNB is not too far behind.

Probably not allowing people in the rink, because of the virus.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The AUC Schedule has UNB Men practicing today (Thu, Oct. 1st) for the first time followed by 1-2 practices a week going forward. They had tryouts (I didn't know that was still a thing) last weekend and the one before that. Probably 'private' ice for the boys to go out before 'official' practices started.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Building is open during practice. Wore my mask and didn’t touch anything , team was practicing in addition Murphy and Watling were skating with the team.

Reactions: AUS Fan and Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I suggested in the recruiting thread about the possibility of more guys leaving school to go pro right now if the pro leagues get up and running. I suppose it may work in reverse too, as this is a perfect year to redshirt if you have to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
In case you missed this bit in UNB's official announcement on Griffen Outhouse.

“Our present goalie combination just completed a fantastic season,” he said. “Rylan Parenteau is going into his fourth year of Engineering while Sam Harvey, the Atlantic University Sport playoff MVP, has fast-tracked his degree and will be eligible to graduate in the spring.”
Looks like Sam Harvey might be another Michael Ouzas.

Sam Harvey is fast-tracking his undergraduate degree and expects to graduate before next fall...bringing Outhouse in is definitely a pre-emptive move for this situation. Rylan has two years likely left with his Engineering degree - straight from the source. :)

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
And a follow up to this , if they are, is their any restrictions on being inside the AUC? At this point I would kill to go watch practice .

Practicing hard full team - recently have started some 3 on 3 gameplay...limited to no access though to get in and watch ice times right now for the team.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Practicing hard full team - recently have started some 3 on 3 gameplay...limited to no access though to get in and watch ice times right now for the team.

I popped by the AUC a week or so ago....front doors were open but noticed the concourse was closed so just stuck my head in for 5-10 minutes before leaving.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB had their first full-team scrimmage on Friday. Prior to that, they could not do much because they were not permitted to use the benches. It was Red v White (soft contact) with Boland the Red Captain and Bennett the White.

Pretty much everyone was playing - old and new. Simpson, Watling, Critchlow were all dressed. Noticed Nurse. McEwan was playing 'D'. Someone was wearing Hawerchuk's jersey - couldn't tell if it was him. Four (4) goalies, rotating in at half time. Two periods of 22min run with a 10min tie-breaker period as they ended the first two periods tied (1-1).

I can say for a fact, having been very up close to the play (wink wink)...
Bennett is stupid fast. He picked-up a turn-over on his blue line and made the other blue line in three strides.
Simpson's face-offs were amazing. Everyone was trying to cheat against him - didn't work.
Boucher is sneaky fast as he costs around and then just bursts into the play out of nowhere
They all pass the puck faster than I can take a slap-shot. I mean, on the power-play, down low to Hall to Gaugne back to Hall - each pass happened so fast that I would need to take a slapshot to move the puck as fast as they do over that distance and they're just leaning on the stick and flicking it with their wrists - crazy.

Gardiner was very happy - it was the first inklings of 'intensity' as 3v3 and 4v4 was starting to wear thin.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB had their first full-team scrimmage on Friday. Prior to that, they could not do much because they were not permitted to use the benches. It was Red v White (soft contact) with Boland the Red Captain and Bennett the White.

Pretty much everyone was playing - old and new. Simpson, Watling, Critchlow were all dressed. Noticed Nurse. McEwan was playing 'D'. Someone was wearing Hawerchuk's jersey - couldn't tell if it was him. Four (4) goalies, rotating in at half time. Two periods of 22min run with a 10min tie-breaker period as they ended the first two periods tied (1-1).

I can say for a fact, having been very up close to the play...
Bennett is stupid fast. He picked-up a turn-over on his blue line and made the other blue line in three strides.
Simpson's face-offs were amazing. Everyone was trying to cheat against him - didn't work.
Boucher is sneaky fast as he costs around and then just bursts into the play out of nowhere
They all pass the puck faster than I can take a slap-shot. I mean, on the power-play, down low to Hall to Gaugne back to Hall - each pass happened so fast that I would need to take a slapshot to move the puck as fast as they do over that distance and they're just leaning on the stick and flicking it with their wrists - crazy.

Gardiner was very happy - it was the first inklings of 'intensity' as 3v3 and 4v4 was starting to wear thin.

Thanks for the update.

I wonder if these scrimmages are going to be a regular thing each practice? Or just something they do once a week or so? I wouldn’t mind going to watch one as long as it’s allowed (from a COVID and team perspective).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Thanks for the update.

I wonder if these scrimmages are going to be a regular thing each practice? Or just something they do once a week or so? I wouldn’t mind going to watch one as long as it’s allowed (from a COVID and team perspective).

I will let you know if I hear of another scrimmage. My guess - it will become a regular Friday occurrence. There were only 2 people in the stands - looked like a father and his son (both with masks). There was no one around - not sure they would know you were there really given how few people are on campus or in the rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad