Unauthorized video review results in a Penalty. Minny vs Van

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If cops review video of a car theft to correctly identify the guy who did it, and the same video shows another guy stealing another car, should they just ignore the second theft because they only intended to ID the first guy?

Should be celebrated for being good at their jobs.

Well if they utilized methods not permitted by the rules... it would actually be unconstitutional.

Reactions: SJGoalie32

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Was it the ref or the linesman that made the call? Linesmans calls need to be discussed by other refs. If the refs have no clue, they can discuss with the league

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Ok, but did both high sticking incidents occur?

Why should one team benefit from a call and the other team not because they didn't see it?

Can’t have 10 minute delays in game to have Toronto look at calls. . . Missed calls happen every game. . If we’re gonna do reviews from Toronto every time, games are gonna last 4 hours

I’m fine w this as a one off as they did get the call right, but if they’re gonna go outside of the officiating rulebook like this, they’d better put some language around it

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
this isn't the point. Replay review on penalties isn't allowed. Today they got the right call. But there will inevitably be a game tomorrow where an obvious penalty is missed that doesn't get reviewed. The problem is that procedure wasn't followed. Either use replay review to get it right every time or don't, but you can't use it sometimes and not others.

They followed procedure. Got the call right.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Why should one team benefit from a call and the other team not because they didn't see it?

Lol the Canucks got a double minor from someone getting high sticked by their own teammate. That's more sad. They must be consistent with video replay.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Based on the title I totally thought a team requested something to be reviewed that couldn't be, the refs did it anyway, then realized hey they can't do that, and penalized said team as a result.

I'm disappointed that was not the case.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Great, but that's not what I'm proposing.
But you initially quoted me where I stated this situation wasn't a good precedent.

The situation was the coach getting upset and prompting a review of a play, causing a penalty to be called.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
But you initially quoted me where I stated this situation wasn't a good precedent.

The situation was the coach getting upset and prompting a review of a play, causing a penalty to be called.

That is not what happened though. Ref saw the penalty but didn't get the number (he got took out accidently right after the high sticks), he asked the box if they got the number. The box called Toronto too get it.

The Penalty was happening either way.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
That is not what happened though. Ref saw the penalty but didn't get the number (he got took out accidently right after the high sticks), he asked the box if they got the number. The box called Toronto too get it.

The Penalty was happening either way.

Has this actually been confirmed? I can see this as a possible answer (I hope it is the actual answer) but I've only seen this speculated.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seriously, we are now getting mad because they made the right call?
Exactly.

Imagine Game 7, Stanley Cup Finals...you're in OT and your player high sticked one of their guys but on the same play, another player high sticked yours...I'd want that 10mins to figure that shit out if it takes that long so my team isn't screwed a chance to win and being fair and all of that.

I am glad this happened because like you also posted, it sets a precedent. I don't give a rat's ass if NFL or whomever doesn't do it, this isn't football. If we want to see some new officiating rules, we will see new officiating rules. It just means players will now be more cautious about trying to get away with crap.

Apparently that's a bad thing.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Exactly.

Imagine Game 7, Stanley Cup Finals...you're in OT and your player high sticked one of their guys but on the same play, another player high sticked yours...I'd want that 10mins to figure that **** out if it takes that long so my team isn't screwed a chance to win and being fair and all of that.

I am glad this happened because like you also posted, it sets a precedent. I don't give a rat's ass if NFL or whomever doesn't do it, this isn't football. If we want to see some new officiating rules, we will see new officiating rules. It just means players will now be more cautious about trying to get away with crap.

Apparently that's a bad thing.

I think everyone wants to see the game called correctly with as little human error as possible. But I think the question is whether the ref is actually allowed to review a missed call and assess a penalty. My understanding is that this is not allowed. If this is true, and refs are deciding what they can or cannot do on their own, I'm not sure this is a "precedent" worth setting.

Reactions: JerseyMike34

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
AND THERE NOT SUPPOSE TO DO THAT!

Do you get it or not ??!!!
MAYBE THEY SHOULD...

Do you get that or not? Advance with the times, it's about time the league looked at that when there is a dispute on the ice about a penalty. Just like with a video review, if nothing comes back then your team should get a penalty for wasting time, set a time limit, if it cannot be determined within 3mins, on ice review stands and penalty for whatever they find, whether it was a false call or a real call.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Has this actually been confirmed? I can see this as a possible answer (I hope it is the actual answer) but I've only seen this speculated.

Friedman tweeted that's what happened,

Can't link to twitter where I am , but his tweet says "According to NHL: Referee was asking for the proper numbers of the players doing the high sticking. No Review"

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

What about all the teams that were victims of violations that WEREN'T sent to review?

You can either refer to video or not. If you cannot, then you should not ever do it, because then you're giving preference to one team over others.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I've seen a few instances of the officials basing a retroactive call on a replay and I was shocked.
No actually they asked the linemens and then made the correct call which is allowed. You just don't understand what is happening and assume it was him starring up at the jumbotron.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I have no problem with a ref doing the right thing to get a call if he missed it. It beats the time Sidney Crosby complained his way out of the penalty box.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This seems like a case of Canucks fans being upset because they got a penalty, and then everyone else is like "they got both of the right calls made, good job".

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Seems more like you don't.

Refs missed one of two penalties, refs see review, refs do something that hasn't been done before but was the right move, penalized two players that were in violation.

OMG! ITS NOT RIGHT! THEY USED VIDEO...

Meh, they caught the other idiot doing the same thing, seems fair to me.

It's not that it isnt fair. It's that you cant spend 2-10 minutes appeasing coaches via review, everytime they feel the refs screwed something up. The NHL would be slower than the NFL if they started allowing this stuff

Reactions: IceNeophyte

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's not that it isnt fair. It's that you cant spend 2-10 minutes appeasing coaches via review, everytime they feel the refs screwed something up. The NHL would be slower than the NFL if they started allowing this stuff

We'll it's agood thing that's not what happened.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Inconsistency in different calls is really ruining the league. If it's an offside or penalty or no goal in 1 game it should be like it every single game.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
What happened?
As mentioned a number of times in this thread, per the NHL via Freidman the Ref saw the penalty but missed the number, he conferred with the scorekeeper to try get the correct number, who called Toronto to verify.

The penalty was already called. Wild's coaches had nothing to do with. The review did not cause the penalty to be called, just got the right person in the box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad