Confirmed with Link: UMass LD Zac Jones to join the Rangers!

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
What he can likely do is jumpstart pp2. Take Trouba off there and add Jones and its infinity better if Jones can translate his offensive play to the nhl. Maybe we run 7 d for a while and if we need a forward smith moves up.
And when we’re not on the PP? PP barely gets 45 sec of ice time a PP anyway. He’s going to be a major liability defensively. Unless you plan on playing 7 defensemen and having him switch in and out in offense specific situations, it’s gonna get ugly.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Robertson, Jones, Schneider, Lundkvist, Fox, Lindgren, Trouba looks like a nice 3 cup defense.

and all ruined by garbage coaching staff lol. One thing where you can throw the money around without any Cap and they fail at it by getting some budget nobody coach.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
it’s a problem, and not where the Rangers made any mistakes. Look at our roster. Igor, Fox, Kakko, Laf, Miller, Chytil, Kravtsov. All of these guys will need big raises over the next 3 seasons. That’s not even mentioning guys like Mika, Strome, and Buch whose contracts expire in the next two years. We have too many quality young players on ELCs. One million is a lot. A lot of us would be far less upset with Kreider if he were making $5.5 million. Or Trouba if he were making $7 million. In a cap world, $1 million is a huge amount.

There is a better than average chance that none of those guys are here in 2 years. The space for the ELC guys will come by either moving those guys or letting them go. Now if there is a question about what they're going to do to replace some of what they're losing thats an entirely different conversation, maybe Jones is a part of a trade that brings in that replacement, which as @HatTrick Swayze mentioned, is MUCH easier to do now that he's signed.

I have a much bigger problem with the Term on the Kreider contract than the dollars fwiw.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
And when we’re not on the PP? PP barely gets 45 min of ice time a PP anyway. He’s going to be a major liability defensively. Unless you plan on playing 7 defensemen and having him switch in and out in offense specific situations, it’s gonna get ugly.
not to get on you but did you watch jones play at all this season? he killed penalties for umass. its not like he doesn't know how to defend at all

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
and all ruined by garbage coaching staff lol. One thing where you can throw the money around without any Cap and they fail at it by getting some budget nobody coach.

Quinn isn't going to be the coach two years from now. He probably won't be the coach one year from now.

Reactions: McSauer

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I dont think the Rangers are willing to burn off a year if he is just going to be in Hartford, otherwise they would just let him stay in college.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
burning the year is really bad for the Rangers. Why are they doing this now? I get it for the kid as he gets a huge payday, but he isn’t ready. He needs another year or two of seasoning.

Doesn't seem to make sense. I guess they have their reasons, but why not start his ELC next season? What's the point burning a year during a non contending season?

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
would you bet your house on that?

On the two year thing? For sure.

Quinn was brought in as the rebuild started, I don't think the intention ever was for him to be leading things during the competitive window.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So pumped for this. Love this kid.

As to the timing, I've grown a lot less fussed about burning a year off an ELC over the years. There are pluses and minuses to both sides. Comes down to the timing, development, age, the spread of other ELCs, the value of getting him officially signed, having direct control over his development... a host of variables.

Plus, now everyone gets to see just how much he plays like Brady Skjei!!! :DD

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
not to get on you but did you watch jones play at all this season? he killed penalties for umass. its not like he doesn't know how to defend at all
NCAA is a step below Euro leagues. Again, I don’t mind that he’s trying to go pro. I just think it’s dumb to do so now and waste a year of his ELC.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Jones is going to come in and compete, as is Robertson.

Lundkvist is going to come in next year and compete, as will Schneider.

I'm not really worried about being too stacked because the runner-up is going to get a ton of ice time in the AHL, and/or the Rangers know full well that a big trade is going to cost them and they want to protect their depth.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Listen all I know is if your burning a year of his ELC, he better get a look these last 20 games

Gorton better be calling Quinn into his office today to lay this shit out lol

It wouldn’t surprise me if he saw zero play. It’s just pointless at this point. Wait a few months, keep an extra year on the ELC. Give him a full summer of NHL training. Let him compete in camp and the preseason. Give him all the AHL TLC and maybe he can be effective in the middle of next season or the year after. There’s zero reason to make this move now unless they plan on trading him in the next hour and change.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So pumped for this. Love this kid.

As to the timing, I've grown a lot less fussed about burning a year off an ELC over the years. There are pluses and minuses to both sides. Comes down to the timing, development, age, the spread of other ELCs, the value of getting him officially signed, having direct control over his development... a host of variables.

Plus, now everyone gets to see just how much he plays like Brady Skjei!!! :DD

I am missing this reference?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It wouldn’t surprise me if he saw zero play. It’s just pointless at this point. Wait a few months, keep an extra year on the ELC. Give him a full summer of NHL training. Let him compete in camp and the preseason. Give him all the AHL TLC and maybe he can be effective in the middle of next season or the year after. There’s zero reason to make this move now unless they plan on trading him in the next hour and change.
Well I’m hoping for the best but you’re right the potential is there lol

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It wouldn’t surprise me if he saw zero play.

I'm not trying to change your mind on this, or anything really, but the guy who first broke the story said that the plan was for Jones to be in the lineup after quarantine.

Maybe he doesn't know, but that's the current piece of evidence that conflicts with this assertion.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Peters was also saying that Nils could go the UFA route? What’s the timeline on that? Is it the same as a college player where 4 years after his draft we’d lose his rights? I assume we’d trade him before it ever got to that point.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Don't think it will, although it will be tough to find enough PP time for everyone. At 5v5 there's no problem.

There's no certainty that Lundkvist will be a PP staple right away.

I think a lot of the posters here who have been watching him the closest in the SHL think that he's gonna start as a defense-first kind of guy. His small stature can be misleading about his style of play.

Also Edge thinks Nils is the most likely trade candidate for a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad