Confirmed with Link: UMass LD Zac Jones to join the Rangers!

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Awesome, getting him signed is really good even if he becomes a trade asset, a team wouldn’t have to worry about him not signing.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Wow. Would have preferred him staying in college for his final season. Am I wrong?
Just don’t think we need to rush anymore prospects

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Unexpected but glad to have him officially inked.

Let's be honest, getting the ELC locked in doesn't hurt his trade value either in the event the NYR are looking to make a deal this summer.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Burning the year is what pulled it over the line I think.

Had to sweeten the pot a bit for the kid. Now he's RFA in 2023, and he gets paid his signing bonus twice in 3 months

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Wow. Would have preferred him staying in college for his final season. Am I wrong?
Just don’t think we need to rush anymore prospects

I think you are wrong. AHL/NHL is better for him than NCAA. So this is a right move. Staying in college for 1 more season is basically being pennywise, pound foolish both for him and for organization.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think you are wrong. AHL/NHL is better for him than NCAA. So this is a right move. Staying in college for 1 more season is basically being pennywise, pound foolish both for him and for organization.
Just would have preferred that extra year of ELC But he did look great in the NCAA playoffs

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
hmmm surprising. thought he was gonna stay in college another year.

those quotes were from before Hockey East tournament;
weeks later, when they made Frozen Four,
it seemed more likely that IF they won it all, he'd reconsider

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
hmmm surprising. thought he was gonna stay in college another year.

Derek Stepan said he was going to stay in school for all 4 years before signing.

Part of it is leverage, part of it may be what they're feeling at the time but usually the agents/advisiors get in their ear and speak sense to them. If you're healthy and you've performed, your best bet is to sign ASAP and get that money/clock rolling.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So much for him being a long ways from the NHL.

Highly unexpected. I guess they think he's ready to play.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Ehhh glad to have him in the fold but not sure he’s NHL ready

As mentioned burning the year must have been a draw, cause he was committed to going back for his junior year

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
burning the year is really bad for the Rangers. Why are they doing this now? I get it for the kid as he gets a huge payday, but he isn’t ready. He needs another year or two of seasoning.

Reactions: Draft Guru

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
burning the year is really bad for the Rangers. Why are they doing this now? I get it for the kid as he gets a huge payday, but he isn’t ready. He needs another year or two of seasoning.

I guess we will find out one way or the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad