Confirmed with Link: UMass LD Zac Jones to join the Rangers!

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Maybe they were concerned about him going UFA and saw an opportunity to get him signed so they view burning a year as the cost of doing business

The fact that he's expected to join the NHL team and perhaps play in games indicates to me that NYR management also see him as more NHL ready than most of us do.

They have guys they rate and guys they don't, which is probably why Tarmo hasn't gotten much time in the NHL

Reactions: Riche16

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Frankly, Miller has been awful on the man advantage. He's not ready for that kind of role at all.
True, neither of them are really PP material. You see the plays die on their sticks, otherwise I’m confident our second PP could be better than the first. Also Adam Fox is a god.

Reactions: SML2

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
It really isn't that big a deal.
it’s pointless. beyond the fact he isn’t ready, if he wanted to start next season I could at least understand. he could get valuable AHL time and be a midseason call up or something. this is just a poor move capwise.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
it’s pointless. beyond the fact he isn’t ready, if he wanted to start next season I could at least understand. he could get valuable AHL time and be a midseason call up or something. this is just a poor move capwise.

He can still do that.

If hes as "not ready" as you claim, his next contract won't be anything crazy anyway.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
lets slow the roll on poor capwise move....if it becomes an issue going forward thats a good thing for us, meaning he is more then ready

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Even if this is all accurate, aren't you at least excited to see what this kid can do this year?

We traded 2 2nd rounders to get Fox NHL development minutes sooner, and that ended up being a good tradeoff. Maybe if they throw Jones right in the deep end of the pool he learns to swim faster. This was probably meant to prevent him staying in the NCAA another season

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Even if this is all accurate, aren't you at least excited to see what this kid can do this year?

We traded 2 2nd rounders to get Fox NHL development minutes sooner, and that ended up being a good tradeoff. Maybe if they throw Jones right in the deep end of the pool he learns to swim faster. This was probably meant to prevent him staying in the NCAA another season

I know what the kid can do. I know he’s not NHL ready. He’ll make some really nice plays offensively and be a total liability defensively. He’s not strong enough either. If he even gets to play a shift with the big club, it’ll be painfully obvious he’s not ready. I don’t mind his deciding to go pro now rather than spend another year in college. I do mind that we’re signing a contract now rather than give him a chance next year, get him in camp, get him tested with NHL players etc.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I’ll also add, that for as miserable as this team has been at drafting and developing forwards (I still think you can make an argument that we’re the worst in the league in this department), they’ve done a great job with defensemen.

Reactions: egelband

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
If we're in a position where a million here or there is THAT big of an issue, the problem isn't that they signed Jones.

it’s a problem, and not where the Rangers made any mistakes. Look at our roster. Igor, Fox, Kakko, Laf, Miller, Chytil, Kravtsov. All of these guys will need big raises over the next 3 seasons. That’s not even mentioning guys like Mika, Strome, and Buch whose contracts expire in the next two years. We have too many quality young players on ELCs. One million is a lot. A lot of us would be far less upset with Kreider if he were making $5.5 million. Or Trouba if he were making $7 million. In a cap world, $1 million is a huge amount.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jones’ age might also play a factor here. Apparently signing him next year would allow for a 2 year deal, not 3

If that’s the case burning the year now is irrelevant. He gets paid quicker and the Rangers get him under contract

This is incorrect. If he were to sign next summer, it would still be a 3-year ELC

upload_2021-4-12_19-32-36.png

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I know what the kid can do. I know he’s not NHL ready. He’ll make some really nice plays offensively and be a total liability defensively. He’s not strong enough either. If he even gets to play a shift with the big club, it’ll be painfully obvious he’s not ready. I don’t mind his deciding to go pro now rather than spend another year in college. I do mind that we’re signing a contract now rather than give him a chance next year, get him in camp, get him tested with NHL players etc.

What he can likely do is jumpstart pp2. Take Trouba off there and add Jones and its infinity better if Jones can translate his offensive play to the nhl. Maybe we run 7 d for a while and if we need a forward smith moves up.

Reactions: McSauer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad