Confirmed with Link: Ulf Samuelsson to coach Charlotte Checkers

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
i have said the same thing about AV....i think he needs to go...but that ship has sailed for this season it would seem.

ahhh, I'm glad we are on the same ship! At least to start the season AV will be there, but if they get late into December and are playing the same way they did most of this past season, I think he will be let go mid season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Would not be surprised if the Rangers went outside the organization to replace Ulf.

If they do promote Beukeboom it would seem to be a very good sign for McIlrath especially. He needs someone in his corner.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Stop Coachin' Pat throws out Rick Bowness's name as a possible replacement candidate. He's currently Tampa'a associate coach and runs their defense and PK. He also has ties to Vigneault.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Funny because last week didn't AV say the whole staff would be back? Maybe this came as a surprise?

Except at the end of the season interviews he didn't commit to that.

The writing was on the wall with how poorly the PK performed. Special teams are a major coaching function.

The Rangers had one of the worst PP/PK matrix in the league. That's bad coaching.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
Can someone poach Scott Ariel too?

Maybe Ulf got word that the defense was going to be almost completely overhauled this summer and decided to go in another direction with his career?

Or Ulf wanted the defense overhauled and AV and the organization would have none of it....Next year, if Girardi is playing 20+ minutes, Staal-Klein are a pairing, and McIlrath is scratched this might be the case.

Probably not likely though.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Or Ulf wanted the defense overhauled and AV and the organization would have none of it....Next year, if Girardi is playing 20+ minutes, Staal-Klein are a pairing, and McIlrath is scratched this might be the case.

Probably not likely though.

I was really surprised there wasn't any Staal/McIlrath info in Brooks article last week.

I still have a feeling McI gets moved at the draft. I don't want him to be moved, but I absolutely think its possible.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Hard to know for sure where the responsibility lays with the Rangers defensive struggles last year. That being said - Ulfie's tenure with the Rangers organization has been by-and-large extremely positive. By the accounts of many people, including the players themselves, he was very influential in the development of guys like Girardi & Staal (in his first go around with Hartford). And the defense was a strong-point in his first two years as AC for the Rangers.

Hope he does well in Charlotte.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Makes me wonder. Are assistants on contract? Or are they just regular employees. If they are on contract, is it year-to-year? Do assistants get multiyear deals?

No idea.

Just like head coaches they are on contracts. They cannot talk with other organizations unless their current organization gives them permission. That is what happened here more than likely, the Rangers granted permission for Carolina and Ulf to talk.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Makes me wonder. Are assistants on contract? Or are they just regular employees. If they are on contract, is it year-to-year? Do assistants get multiyear deals?

they have contracts, but there is a usual courtesy is to allow an assistant to jump to a HC job

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Stop Coachin' Pat throws out Rick Bowness's name as a possible replacement candidate. He's currently Tampa'a associate coach and runs their defense and PK. He also has ties to Vigneault.

why would you want to go from the Bolts to here...2 teams on very different paths.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The Rangers defense had a personnel and system issue last season.

The personnel could not play the system. Watching defenders aggressively overpursue forwards in the corners and behind the net, leaving the slot wide open, was maddening.

Was the system a mandate from AV? I would assume but I don't know. If it was stubbornness and a refusal to change from Ulf - good riddance. If he is being scapegoated for a poor personnel / system fit with limited opportunity to make changes - I kinda feel for the guy.

Sums up how i feel 100%

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Some history:

Ulfie used to be the defensive coach in Hartford when Charlotte was the Rangers' ECHL affiliate. The head coach of Charlotte at the time was none other than Derek Wilkinson (who I remember to be one of the nicest guys in hockey). Wilkinson went on to the front office of the ECHL team when it become a Carolina affiliate. Now an AHL team, Charlotte's Sr. VP of Hockey Operations is Derek Wilkinson.

It seems like a good fit for Samuelsson, who likely covets an NHL coaching job. But if that is going to happen, it has to be soon (he is 52 years old). He has been a head coach in Sweden and an assistant twice in the NHL. His head coaching at the AHL level will put him in the running for the next head coach opening in the "show". If that truly is his goal, it was now or never to move to the next step.

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
If it's true that he ran the defense and then PK, well, then best of luck to Ulf & the Charlotte Checkers.

Beuk coming up makes a ton of sense, and should do wonders for McIlrath.

Let's hope they make it official with Beuk before management dumps DMac.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

They have a really good PK actually, but...

Let's hope they make it official with Beuk before management dumps DMac.

I agree here. I'd rather the Defensive coach be Beuk.

Arniel on the other hand, I'd like to see him replaced by an outside candidate. Adam Oates had some fantastic power play schemes, I think he'd play along well with Vigneault.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
They have a really good PK actually, but...

I agree here. I'd rather the Defensive coach be Beuk.

Arniel on the other hand, I'd like to see him replaced by an outside candidate. Adam Oates had some fantastic power play schemes, I think he'd play along well with Vigneault.

Beuk would be fine by me, but I'd rather keep Oates off the bench. He's caused riffs in the past, and I'd rather avoid it.

I would like to see Hartford get a new coach though. Maybe bring in one of the good college coaches, and if AV gets the boot, they'll have an immediate in-house replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad