Confirmed with Link: Ulf Samuelsson to coach Charlotte Checkers

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This may sound bad but... what exactly is the difference?

Associates tend to have more responsibilities and make more money. The latter is probably the more important of the two.

I think of it like this. I once had a position with the title assistant manager. At some point, I was considered the "lead" assistant manager. Technically, it was the same position, but I had more on my plate and got a bigger monthly bonus share.

Doesn't Arniel often run their practices?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Mixed feelings for this. From interviews I've read from him, he seems to understand that the way defense is played in the NHL is changing, and that defenseman need to be able to move the puck and skate, not being so one dimensional.

He'll make a great coach helping that young D core in Carolina, and he'll get a head coaching job eventually. I won't throw a ton of blame on him for the penalty kill and defense not being good last year, he could only do so much with the players given.

This may come back to bite the Rangers, but I'm happy for Ulf.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The Rangers defense had a personnel and system issue last season.

The personnel could not play the system. Watching defenders aggressively overpursue forwards in the corners and behind the net, leaving the slot wide open, was maddening.

Was the system a mandate from AV? I would assume but I don't know. If it was stubbornness and a refusal to change from Ulf - good riddance. If he is being scapegoated for a poor personnel / system fit with limited opportunity to make changes - I kinda feel for the guy.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I saw this headline and thought "cool that he's still in the organization" then realized that just because I'm a Rangers fan who lives in Charlotte doesn't mean the team in Charlotte is part of the organization :laugh:

Got it now.

The Checkers were our ECHL affiliate before they moved up to AHL.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Funny because last week didn't AV say the whole staff would be back? Maybe this came as a surprise?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

The personnel could not play the system. Watching defenders aggressively overpursue forwards in the corners and behind the net, leaving the slot wide open, was maddening.

Was the system a mandate from AV? I would assume but I don't know. If it was stubbornness and a refusal to change from Ulf - good riddance. If he is being scapegoated for a poor personnel / system fit with limited opportunity to make changes - I kinda feel for the guy.

Well, he's not being scapegoated by the organization, that's for sure. He moved on to a head coaching position. AHL head coach seems to be a more likely place to get a promotion to NHL head coach from.

30 NHL coaches at the end of the season. 16 got their first HC jobs by being promoted directly from AHL HC to NHL HC (I'm including Hitchcock in there, though he came up from the old IHL). 10 from NHL assistant coach. 4 from HC in juniors. If that trend extends further, it basically is saying that you have a significantly better chance to become an NHL HC by being an HC elsewhere than you are by being an AC. Further to this point, even of the 10 that were promoted directly from NHL AC, 6 were AHL or IHL HCs before that too. Good career move for Ulf.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
not really. rangers said they didn't plan to make changes to the staff and they didn't. he left

I'm well aware of that. I didn't say that the Rangers changed their mind.

For all AV knew when he said that the coaching staff would be back, he probably had talked with Ulf/Arniel/etc and got the impression from all of them that they wanted to be back.

And then Ulf apparently changed his mind and decided to leave.

So....plans change.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
not really. rangers said they didn't plan to make changes to the staff and they didn't. he left

with that said, Since Ulf was under contract with the Rangers they had to grant the Carolina organization right to interview Ulf for the job, so they were okay with letting Ulf go.

Good luck to Ulf down in Carolina!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Why can people not see that is a huge issue no matter what forwards and dmen were on the ice? Our system had massive breakdowns all season. Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel? Why can't we play a more traditional defensive scheme?

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
I felt like our d played worse every year under ulfie.

Could say the same thing about AV :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, more than likely Beukeboom will get the call to take over the position, if it happens, I like it, he's worked with Skjei and Mcilrath and done well with them, so I think he will do a good job.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I saw this headline and thought "cool that he's still in the organization" then realized that just because I'm a Rangers fan who lives in Charlotte doesn't mean the team in Charlotte is part of the organization :laugh:

Got it now.

Checkers used to be our ECHL team, so i was confused for a second too.

-----

We don't know who made the decisions on D, but it's hard to be anything but optimistic that losing Ulf might make way for improvements.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Could say the same thing about AV :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, more than likely Beukeboom will get the call to take over the position, if it happens, I like it, he's worked with Skjei and Mcilrath and done well with them, so I think he will do a good job.

i have said the same thing about AV....i think he needs to go...but that ship has sailed for this season it would seem.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Can someone poach Scott Ariel too?

Maybe Ulf got word that the defense was going to be almost completely overhauled this summer and decided to go in another direction with his career?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

Maybe Ulf got word that the defense was going to be almost completely overhauled this summer and decided to go in another direction with his career?

Haha I'd think him getting word that it wouldn't be getting completely overhauled would have him heading for the hills.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

hard to tell which is the better path to the NHL. i do wonder if he was taking a lot of the "our defense didnt do a good job transitioning the puck to the offense" personally.

who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2