Confirmed with Link: Ulf Samuelsson to coach Charlotte Checkers

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wow.

Big if true. Wonder who the Rangers would get to replace him. Does this mean Beuk comes up from Hartford?

Very intriguing rumor. Could definitely mean something for our defensemen for next season.

Here's the tweet from Mike. Didn't have a link attached to it. Just the tweet straight up.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Glad it didn't have to come down to him getting fired, but we absolutely needed someone else coaching our defense next season.

Wonder what happens with Arniel now.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I saw this headline and thought "cool that he's still in the organization" then realized that just because I'm a Rangers fan who lives in Charlotte doesn't mean the team in Charlotte is part of the organization :laugh:

Got it now.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
From the Canes:
RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has hired Ulf Samuelsson to serve as head coach of the team’s top minor-league affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

“Ulf has built a very strong coaching resume during a decade behind the bench in the AHL, NHL and Swedish league,” said Francis. “He has a proven history of helping to develop young players and understands the organizational culture that we are building here.”

Samuelsson, 52, has spent the last three seasons as an assistant coach with the New York Rangers, helping the Rangers reach the Stanley Cup Final in 2014 and the conference final in 2015. Prior to joining the Rangers, he spent two seasons as head coach for Modo of the Swedish Hockey League (SHL), posting a record of 38-15-16-41 and reaching the playoffs both years. The Fagersta, Sweden, native served as associate coach for the Phoenix Coyotes from 2006-07 until 2010-11, helping to guide the Coyotes to a franchise-record 50 wins in 2009-10, and playing an important role in the development of defensemen Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Keith Yandle and Zbynek Michalek. Samuelsson began his professional coaching career in 2005-06, serving as assistant coach for the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack.

A veteran of 16 NHL seasons, Samuelsson appeared in 1,080 career games as a player with the Hartford Whalers, Pittsburgh Penguins, New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings and Philadelphia Flyers. Selected by the Whalers in the fourth round, 67th overall, in the 1982 NHL Entry Draft, he totaled 57 goals and 275 assists (332 points), 2,453 penalty minutes and a plus-172 rating. He was a member of the Penguins’ Stanley Cup champion teams in 1991 and 1992, and appeared as an NHL All-Star during the Rendez-vous ’87 series against the Soviet National Team.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
Apparently ulfie held saarella and those two second round picks in such high regard that he's following them down south...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Glad it didn't have to come down to him getting fired, but we absolutely needed someone else coaching our defense next season.

Wonder what happens with Arniel now.

arniel needs to go...but i blame our defense on the players not the coach. ulf would have needed to be a miracle worker

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I got excited for a second thinking we might get a more dynamic coach than Gernander for the Pack...but they'd obviously go with Beuk for defensive coaching. Silly hopeful me. :(

I still think Arniel should be gone.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I imagine Beukeboom is near the top of the list

He's gotta be. Our defense is a mess and he's developed a few good players down on the pack who are looking really good thus far.

This is very good news for McIlrath, Skjei, and even some of the younger guys like Graves and Bodie

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If it's true that he ran the defense and then PK, well, then best of luck to Ulf & the Charlotte Checkers.

Beuk coming up makes a ton of sense, and should do wonders for McIlrath.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Wasn't crazy about the job he was doing with the defense. Good luck to him.

as someone said above, I think Ulf (this season anyway) was dealt a crappy hand.

The only thing I could get on him for is the McIlrath situation, however Ulf didn't make line up decisions, AV does.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I was hoping that AV went back to Canada as well - I feel it`s too easy solution to blame it on Ulf.
And Glass will probably play another year here on the 4th line.
Good luck to Ulf S.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad