Confirmed with Link: Ulf Samuelsson to coach Charlotte Checkers

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Maybe I'm the only one, but I have concerns with a stay at home defender taking on the role of assistant or associate coach for a team that will hopefully look to put together a team that consists of mobile defenders.

Maybe it's not an issue, but I have my doubts that he will be able to teach puck movement from a stay at home mindset.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Maybe I'm the only one, but I have concerns with a stay at home defender taking on the role of assistant or associate coach for a team that will hopefully look to put together a team that consists of mobile defenders.

Maybe it's not an issue, but I have my doubts that he will be able to teach puck movement from a stay at home mindset.

wasnt AV a grinder in the nhl? yet he preaches speed, transition, etc.

id say how you played in the nhl has little to do with your coaching. skill guys arent going to always wanna play a skill game, etc.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-matthew-tkachuks-draft-stock-gaining-momentum/

4. Andy Strickland, the Blues’ Rinkside host, suggested Buffalo, Columbus and the Rangers as possibilities for Brad Shaw, who left his associate coach role rather than accept a one-year extension. Ottawa seems logical, too, since he played for both the OHL 67s and the Senators, but he apparently interviewed for the head job there and may not want to take a “step down” behind Guy Boucher and Marc Crawford. There are rumblings he may pursue a lead job in Europe.

Thoughts on the Rangers giving Shaw an interview?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Was just about to comment on that. If Shaw is looking for a similar role, he'd make a lot of sense. He ran the defense and the PK in St Louis, and they've had a top PK for a number of years now. Had a lot of mobility to work with on the back-end though. Rangers could sell him on being the head coach if/when AV goes as well, but who knows?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
wasnt AV a grinder in the nhl? yet he preaches speed, transition, etc.

id say how you played in the nhl has little to do with your coaching. skill guys arent going to always wanna play a skill game, etc.

The guy was a fist-thrower as well. Which makes the McIlrath situation even more confusing. Though I've always thought AV saw a lot of himself in Tanner Glass, hence the love affair. :laugh:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Was just about to comment on that. If Shaw is looking for a similar role, he'd make a lot of sense. He ran the defense and the PK in St Louis, and they've had a top PK for a number of years now. Had a lot of mobility to work with on the back-end though. Rangers could sell him on being the head coach if/when AV goes as well, but who knows?

Shaw was with StL ~10 years, last 4 as Associate(head) Coach,
if Arniel stays as Associate, not sure Shaw comes

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com

But then there is the other side of the coin.

Highly skilled skaters, puck movers, and other with high hockey IQ often make terrible coaches. Why? Probably because they don't understand what actually has to be taught or what the limitations of an average/below average player are.

In contrast, hard working players often make fantastic coaches as they understand how to teach the game, because they actually had to learn the game.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Whenever I think of Brad Shaw, I think of the minus-88 he was over the course of the 92-93 and 93-94 seasons.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
So let me get this straight...

We lost Ulf, some people were thinking that Zubov might make a good replacement. Others thought Beukeboom would make a good replacement, and still others thought Shaw would be better than Beukeboom.

Is it the 90's?

(Wrong Shaw... I know... but still).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So let me get this straight... We lost Ulf, some people were thinking that Zubov might make a good replacement. Others thought Beukeboom would make a good replacement, and still others thought Shaw would be better than Beukeboom....Is it the 90's? (Wrong Shaw... I know... but still).

Randy Moller, obviously

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Kirk Muller opting to leave the Blues. He and Shaw ran their special teams

their special teams have been terrific in recent years...but of course the big question is how much credit goes to coaching and how much goes to the personnel on the ice

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
their special teams have been terrific in recent years...but of course the big question is how much credit goes to coaching and how much goes to the personnel on the ice

It's an interesting question, I think both men thought Hitch would retire after this season and would be in contention for the HC job... but that didn't work out.

But you look at that defense.... they were stacked... good trades and home grown talent...

All had size and could skate.

Their depth up front was crazy good too... while they got decent goaltending this year to go deep... their speed was lacking going deeper into the line up.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Damn, Montreal swept up Kirk Muller quickly. He's a great associate coach

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Damn, Montreal swept up Kirk Muller quickly. He's a great associate coach

wonder what its like to follow a team that makes decisive decisions and taking immediate action instead of one that sits around doing nothing for months until all options disappear

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Adam Rotter posted some quotes from Ulfie's interview with the Charlotte Checkers:

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/ulf...e-rangers-and-his-decision-to-leave/181880616

Ulf Samuelsson said that while he was with the Rangers he was in charge of "all aspects" of the Rangers defensive game.
Samuelsson said that he worked on "a lot of defensive zone plays and structure, plus penalty kill."
He said that he had a "pretty full plate" with the Rangers but now as a head coach he will have a different role that focuses on managing players as well as game plans and looking into the "particulars of the game."
In speaking about his decision to leave, Samuelsson said "it was a real tough decision. I was in a good spot with a good organization with the Rangers where they treat the players and employees extremely well. They are competitive team and probably again next year. It wasn't easy to leave."
Samuelsson added "if you can't play quick, you basically can't play anymore. It feels like it is getting quicker every year."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad