Uh, when did we start trapping?

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Leafs use Enforcers/Pests while playing a trap style game.

Leafs bait opposing players and get under the other teams skin to create bad habits due to frustration.

Leafs capitalize on this and play more aggresive, using the speed we all love to see, grit and fore-check all while wearing the other team down in the process.

Its a great tactic and one that is much respected and with us being on that back to back to open the season; makes much sense.

Ace88*

did you love it in the 3rd period in game 7 in Boston when the leafs completely changed their game plan, sat back and gave up 4 goals and lost?

I hate it.

Alright then Conny Smythe what do you propose? Or are you just disagreeing to disagree and be that guy.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Boring? I'm pretty sure we trapped in game 7 Vs Boston and it was exciting as heck. Leaf fans should know from that one game alone that trapping with a lead does not equal a win.

And one game alone doesn't equal every game.

If you continue to play a more open style you will be FAR more susceptible to late game collapses than trapping it up late.

I would much rather see the Leafs dump the puck in and get back late in a game than giving up 3 on 2 rushes because of one unfortunate game 7.

Would you like to go back to Ron Wilson hockey?

SteveV*

We've always done this protecting leads as far as I've seen, it's a hybrid trap.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
did you love it in the 3rd period in game 7 in Boston when the leafs completely changed their game plan, sat back and gave up 4 goals and lost?

I hate it.

They did a lot last year and got into the playoffs, so focusing on one game and asking about the results of that game and asking if you liked the results of that game.

Did you notice that Bolland was on the ice a lot late in the 3rd....that is why we traded for him.

leafstilldeath*

Trap will work against most teams. Some exception will be big bodies grinding teams likeBruins that play dump and chase style hockey.

That said, our trap worked in Game 7 for most of the game but at the cost of points left open to take the shots. With dump and chase points will play major role. If only Reims was better at rebounds, or we covered the points, or Dion didnt brain fart in the last 3 mns the outcome would have bee differrnt.

We have better grinders now in Bolland and Clarkson with gritty play so we are better equipped to play our style I think.

Bottom line: get 2 points anyway we can. Dont care about the style.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Welcome to having a coach/gm combination that isn't stubborn and against adapting to the new style of hockey.

Everyone traps nowadays.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Which was weird...I mean, having the whole team throw on the breaks at the blue line and drop it for Giroux and having him dance in looked good...once. But seriously, what were they trying to accomplish? All we had to do was plug the lane, his shots never made it through and they never had anyone on side to dig out the rebounds. Poor asset management on the Flyers' part...

My thoughts exactly. Thought it was one of those things that you can toss in as a shocker but it's like faking a pass on a punt. You can't do it all the time or the other team will call your bluff.

With all 4 Flyers standing still at the offensive blue line, if that pass misses Giroux, or someone from the Leafs juts forward to intercept the pass, you've got an easy breakaway.

Heck, even just having a winger get in behind the D and then someone else strip Giroux of the puck. Easy outlet pass for what would appear to be a penalty shot-esque breakaway, with no Flyer player in the same postal code.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
Alright then Conny Smythe what do you propose? Or are you just disagreeing to disagree and be that guy.

I think if you have played a certain style for 2 periods and are up 4-1, why completely change your style of play? Why not just keep doing what you are doing, which lead to your initial success in the first place. Its really quite simple.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
We're in the lead, you defend the lead, what do you want? Ron Wilson days of playing run and gun entertaining hockey and ending up in a loss? Gotta play defence hanta yo.

The leafs still struggle at the concept of playing defense, contrary to popular belief playing good defense means you spend as little time in your own end as possible. The leafs are excellent at shot blocking and boxing out the opposition but they fail badly at the transition game, they get pinned in their own end because they panic and end up making utterly stupid decisions with the puck. There was a reason last year we finished near dead last in shots for and against....

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Leafs use Enforcers/Pests while playing a trap style game.

Leafs bait opposing players and get under the other teams skin to create bad habits due to frustration.

Leafs capitalize on this and play more aggresive, using the speed we all love to see, grit and fore-check all while wearing the other team down in the process.

Its a great tactic and one that is much respected and with us being on that back to back to open the season; makes much sense.

And it's a tactic that doesn't show up in any advanced puck possession or giveaway stat. ;)

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If we are winning with it, why are you complaining?? play what ever way you want just win us the games and im good!

I wasn't complaining at all. I just was wondering if this was deployed specifically to stop the flyers one dimensional attack, or something we're using every time. I put wins above all else, believe me in that regard.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
You do what it takes to protect a lead in the third period of the game. Could care less how boring it is, if we manage to get our cycle game down and trap during leads in the playoffs, we could go far this year.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Don't like when they get hemmed in their zone for long periods of time, especially when they are behind in the game. I know it's the trait of zone coverage, but when it comes as a result of a givaway, it drives me mad. I'm fine with it as long as they cut down the givaways, they were playing well after getting the goal to tie the game. Franson plays where he was squeezing guys out as the enter the zone were great. Stop the rush, don't fool around with it and transition the other way. Carlyle was saying he wanted a more puck possession game, hopefully we see less of the minutes of play in their own zone leading to fatigued players.

I felt this way too. I don't trust our defense when they collapse down low. That's a great strategy when you have good shutdown guys...which we don't. I feel waaaay more comfortable with guys skating it out. Playing to our strength.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
When Randy has the lead in the 3rd, he typically has his guys collapse into the neutral zone if the 2-man forecheck isn't an option.

It's not just this season - it happened last season as well. I'm sure most of you will recall how tentative we were in game 7.....

...we look more comfortable playing it though; in both games so far, there have been stretches of play where we've had the lead where we've really grinded out terrority really well and made it difficult for the other team to get things going

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
We've got a 3rd line center now in Bolland and trapping can be extremely efficient. As long as were winning keep trapping and smashing and hitting and blocking and other stuffz Randy likes

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It's what any team that cares about defense does when protecting a lead late in the game. It's not exciting hockey but the win is what they care about. Don't want to watch exciting hockey that ends up in the loss column for the team on most nights. I would prefer that they spend more time playing in the neutral zone or in the offensive zone as it's the least dangerous way to give up that late tying goal to the other team however I love that they don't try to force offense late in the game when it isn't needed. It's about picking spots. Like last night, there were moments where they gained possession, dumped and went for a line change to get fresh legs on the ice rather than force a scoring chance that could bounce and end up going the other way with guys caught up ice. It's small things that make the difference. It doesn't look pretty and they could certainly do things to improve that area of their game but they have certainly become much better at protecting those leads.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I don't think we trapped last year, we played passive and defensively but last night was the first time I've seen our forwards stay behind the opponents blueline and not even send one man in.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hey, it worked for New Jersey.
Colorado+Avalanche+v+New+Jersey+Devils+7atNMTeSbvTl.jpg

Scott-Stevens.jpg

070913niedermayer1.jpg

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
i hate randys strategy when up in game in 3rd, u dont even look to attack, we never have the puck, its just wave after wave of offensive attacks and we try to stop em...saw it over and over again last year, ALSO COST US PLAYOFF SERIES LAST YEAR...and by looks of it its happening again this year...just a horrible tactic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad