Uh, when did we start trapping?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Is this new, because I don't ever remember us collapsing so much when we're up!
I'm not complaining (especially after the event that shall not be named) but I'm just a little surprised.
Or is this just because Randy felt we were being out-chanced in this particular game?

Wasp

Feb 27, 2004
T.O.
I think it was just because of the situation last night. Back-to-back to open the season against a rested, fired up Flyers team in their home opener. Carlyle realized that we were pretty lucky to be up late, and would rather try to eke out the win or, worst case scenario, the single point.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
It was quite a boring game last night regardless of the win.

Not that it matters as long as we racked up the 2 points which is all that matters!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yeh I agree.
I love the points but I hope the guys start getting them a little more convincingly going forward!

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Well, Dion would have fired the puck into shin pads trying to score the 3rd goal, where Franson, dumped the puck in the opposite corner which directly lead to Bollands 2nd goal of the game. Its the little things that win you hockey games. And Jonathan Bernier..

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I honestly don't care if they play a hard trap game. I want to win and don't care how we do it.

Ace88*

The best part is that we've been so starved for successful coaching that most of you guys don't realize that literally every team in the league does this when protecting a lead.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I think it had more to do with Carlyle adjusting to the Flyers zone entry strategy.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The best part is that we've been so starved for successful coaching that most of you guys don't realize that literally every team in the league does this when protecting a lead.

Haha, fair enough.
Sweet Jesus Wilson was a terrible coach. I think Burke would still be here if he manned up sooner.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think it had more to do with Carlyle adjusting to the Flyers zone entry strategy.

Which was weird...I mean, having the whole team throw on the breaks at the blue line and drop it for Giroux and having him dance in looked good...once. But seriously, what were they trying to accomplish? All we had to do was plug the lane, his shots never made it through and they never had anyone on side to dig out the rebounds. Poor asset management on the Flyers' part...

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
We're in the lead, you defend the lead, what do you want? Ron Wilson days of playing run and gun entertaining hockey and ending up in a loss? Gotta play defence hanta yo.

leafygoods

Defending Champs
Aug 12, 2009
Halifax

Yes. Stack the blueline, and crowd the puck carrier and you will stop the flyers zone entry.

The few times they got in on good chances off the rush were when the puck carrier was 1-on-1 and beat his man. Luckily even in those cases the D-men were quick to back up and stop the rush. Glad Randy is catching these things now, it's wonderful to have a coach that adjusts.

We will be playing "the trap" when necessary.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Which was weird...I mean, having the whole team throw on the breaks at the blue line and drop it for Giroux and having him dance in looked good...once. But seriously, what were they trying to accomplish? All we had to do was plug the lane, his shots never made it through and they never had anyone on side to dig out the rebounds. Poor asset management on the Flyers' part...

Claude is overrated, and he doesn't back check, he was floating at the red line during the their PK that Bolland scored. Hard work wins games.

wulfio*

Is this new, because I don't ever remember us collapsing so much when we're up!
I'm not complaining (especially after the event that shall not be named) but I'm just a little surprised.
Or is this just because Randy felt we were being out-chanced in this particular game?

probably right after the leafs blew a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period of game 7.

Leafski

Jun 29, 2011
Yes. Stack the blueline, and crowd the puck carrier and you will stop the flyers zone entry.

The few times they got in on good chances off the rush were when the puck carrier was 1-on-1 and beat his man. Luckily even in those cases the D-men were quick to back up and stop the rush. Glad Randy is catching these things now, it's wonderful to have a coach that adjusts.

We will be playing "the trap" when necessary.

Exactly! Wilson's team was always good at scoring, but broke down in final periods. He never seemed to believe in adjusting your play style to protect a lead late in the game. Its being down a goal or two in 3rd periods where opposing teams start playing desperation style hockey and start really turning on the jets. If you try to match them in intensity with an offensive style, protecting the lead is very variable.

What i mean by that is, you're more likely to score a goal because the other team will be willing to take more risks to get the equalizer, but you won't be helping yourself either as you're also more vulnerable. If you take on a more defensive strategy, you can torment the other team and frustrate them by making zone entry very difficult. This of course makes it much more difficult for the opposing team to score, in my experience it also makes it more likely the opposing team takes a stupid penalty. The best part of it is that as zone entry becomes more and more difficult, opposing teams usually either play more of a dump and chase, or they try to get fancy with the zone entry. That again increases the chances of a turnover and playing into our Leafs' particular strength: the transition game, giving us more chances to score and pull ahead even more.

With the experience many of our players unfortunately had to endure last year, implementing this strategy early, and using it every chance we get will make it less likely that we as fans will have to experience that again (at least in the short term).

Hurray for having a coach who actually understands strategy and isn't too stubborn to change it if it isn't working! :handclap:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Don't like when they get hemmed in their zone for long periods of time, especially when they are behind in the game. I know it's the trait of zone coverage, but when it comes as a result of a givaway, it drives me mad. I'm fine with it as long as they cut down the givaways, they were playing well after getting the goal to tie the game. Franson plays where he was squeezing guys out as the enter the zone were great. Stop the rush, don't fool around with it and transition the other way. Carlyle was saying he wanted a more puck possession game, hopefully we see less of the minutes of play in their own zone leading to fatigued players.

maple syrup

Nov 24, 2010
Boring? I'm pretty sure we trapped in game 7 Vs Boston and it was exciting as heck. Leaf fans should know from that one game alone that trapping with a lead does not equal a win.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
They did this last season. I love every minute of it.

did you love it in the 3rd period in game 7 in Boston when the leafs completely changed their game plan, sat back and gave up 4 goals and lost?

I hate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad