GDT: UFC on Fox: Maia vs. Condit

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
When did Pettis ever had any head movement? :D

I don't think Pettis is declining (like all the things he's really good at are still there for him), but he's clearly been exposed and everybody is just following the same gameplan to pressuring him and I don't see Pettis really doing much to fix his problem of still not being a good enough boxer to shake his opponents pressure.

Pettis is lethal on the outside, he just can't keep the fight on the outside

Agree. He really needs to put in work on his clinch work and dirty boxing, he's got great grappling and outside striking, but guys are able to just grind him against the cage at will.

And Condit, man, I love the guy, but if he keeps this half in/half out stuff going, he needs to just walk away. His heads not in the game.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I think he was just there to spar with Cerrone. That's different from Greg Jackson's implementing a game plan for the fight and Mike Winkeljohn drilling the combos.

Nah dude, he was working with their striking coaches. He was working with Mike Winklejohn and I think Brandon Gibson. Those two are lethal striking coaches. I'll see if I can find more information.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...reg-jackson-and-his-team-going-forward-042116

That was before the Barboza fight. Basically says he went out to spar with Cowboy at his ranch, met Greg Jackson and company, and has decided to spend various weeks out there for his camps. Has done so twice now. As far as striking coaches, I don't think you can get better than Gibson and Winklejohn. He's training with legitimate dudes.

Duke's still the one with the gameplans I think.

EDIT: I'm not too sure who's all at Duke's camp these days. I know there's been issues in the past. I know Tyron Woodley spends a lot of time there, and Ben Askren is there.

He has an online striking university.. what in the ****

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Nah dude, he was working with their striking coaches. He was working with Mike Winklejohn and I think Brandon Gibson. Those two are lethal striking coaches. I'll see if I can find more information.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...reg-jackson-and-his-team-going-forward-042116

That was before the Barboza fight. Basically says he went out to spar with Cowboy at his ranch, met Greg Jackson and company, and has decided to spend various weeks out there for his camps. Has done so twice now. As far as striking coaches, I don't think you can get better than Gibson and Winklejohn. He's training with legitimate dudes.

Duke's still the one with the gameplans I think.

EDIT: I'm not too sure who's all at Duke's camp these days. I know there's been issues in the past. I know Tyron Woodley spends a lot of time there, and Ben Askren is there.

He has an online striking university.. what in the ****

Was just going to post that Fox Sports article. Watching the Road to the Octagon last night, it looked like he's definitely a part time member with Jackson Wink.

As for the bolded, surprised Rener Gracie wasn't all over that. He could give out kru statuses like he does blue belts.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Anyone know the status of Carlos Condit's contract? That was his 8th fight after signing an extension back in August 2011 (his last reported extension anyway). Terms of that deal weren't disclosed, but normally eight fights is the norm for their higher end guys.

Really hoping he doesn't retire, but based on his post-fight comments, it doesn't sound like he would be too keen on fighting middle of the pack guys going forward.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Condit was saying the same stuff after his last fight. I'll be surprised if he retires, he's too good a fighter to go out like this.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Condit was saying the same stuff after his last fight. I'll be surprised if he retires, he's too good a fighter to go out like this.

He's still very talented, I don't think this loss is a reflection on that.

I just think, if his heads not in it, it's time to walk away. That's when guys start getting hurt. He said himself, he thinks he got hit with a punch on the ground that rattled him, and I didn't see anything significant, if his chins cracked, hang em up before taking more damage.

Let's not forget, he has 40 pro fights under his belt, and some absolute wars.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Maia made it look so easy.. crazy. Too bad for Condit, hope he comes back to go out on a better note.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Not me. Condit said he was rocked by Maia in the fight. That's not a good sign. He's going to get brutally knocked out soon. It's time. IMO, go coach Team Alpha Male.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think Condit, much like Maia will go down as one of the best to never win UFC gold. 2-5 in his last 7 with one loss being his ACL against Woodley, i believe.

One of my favorite fighters of all time. Hopefully he can get a few wins back and go out.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Condit, much like Maia will go down as one of the best to never win UFC gold. 2-5 in his last 7 with one loss being his ACL against Woodley, i believe.

One of my favorite fighters of all time. Hopefully he can get a few wins back and go out.

He did win an interim strap at least, so he's kind of had gold.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Not me. Condit said he was rocked by Maia in the fight. That's not a good sign. He's going to get brutally knocked out soon. It's time. IMO, go coach Team Alpha Male.

Did he really say that? From what, 2 weak body shots? I don't remember Maia making any head contact.

As for Condit, I imagine he takes some time off. He's not on a good streak, guys are younger, faster and more skilled. This division is moving on from the brawler era that played second fiddle to GSP (and post GSP). The win over Rory was in 2010. His most significant win since then is Nick Diaz.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Did he really say that? From what, 2 weak body shots? I don't remember Maia making any head contact.

As for Condit, I imagine he takes some time off. He's not on a good streak, guys are younger, faster and more skilled. This division is moving on from the brawler era that played second fiddle to GSP (and post GSP). The win over Rory was in 2010. His most significant win since then is Nick Diaz.

Got him on the chin in half guard. Said it didn't really hurt him as much as it surprised him and threw him off.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I find all of the talk of burying Condit ridiculous because on many people's scorecards he beat Lawler and should be or have been the champ. This bad 'streak' leading up to this weekend included two title losses and a fight that he lost because he blew out his knee.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Sucked watching Condit lose like that. Sure hope this isn't it for him. I didn't rewatch the fight but I don't remember any shot landing that seemed overly big, but obviously it isn't something he'd lie about. Gonna be tough for him to get another title shot though, and he seems like he's been seriously considering retirement for a little while now, so it'll be interesting to see what he decides to do.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I find all of the talk of burying Condit ridiculous because on many people's scorecards he beat Lawler and should be or have been the champ. This bad 'streak' leading up to this weekend included two title losses and a fight that he lost because he blew out his knee.
Yeah man, I'm sure he's sitting at home thinking "well that one was pretty much a win..."

What's ridiculous is ignoring his recent record, especially after seeing him during and after that fight. He's mentally broken... from loses. Real loses.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah man, I'm sure he's sitting at home thinking "well that one was pretty much a win..."

What's ridiculous is ignoring his recent record, especially after seeing him during and after that fight. He's mentally broken... from loses. Real loses.

There's a difference between being finished mentally and finished physically. Condit can still compete with the elite at 170. If he's done with fighting that's his own choice, but it's not because he's not a top WW.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Pettis working with Gibson is gonna be great. him working with Winklejohn does nothing for him since Wink is mostly good at building outfighters who are not particular good at striking in the pocket aka the kind of fighter Pettis already is lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad