GDT: UFC on ESPN: Sandhagen vs. Font/PFL 7

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Zzzzzzzz

Maybe rob should try to get up sooner instead of the same failed sweep attempt 4mins straight

Reactions: Taytro

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Also much like Ron Maclean, I cant wait for the ufc to move on from Bisping and DC.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Reminded me of Vettori/Holland in terms of 25 minute awful recent main events

Brutal

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Jake wins by UD. Surprised that went the distance, though Nate had some moments. More entertaining than I expected
I thought Nate won 3 maybe even 4 rounds but I don't know what judges in boxing look for. Only giving him 2 seems a bit low.

It was actually a fun fight. Probably because Nate was fighting and not really boxing.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Nate almost listened to Poirier and jumped the gilly at the end there :laugh:

Went exactly as expected. Jake's a better boxer with more power, but Nate's a zombie, had his moments particularly later in the fight, and played to the crowd. Glad he at least didn't get KO'ed.

-----

Sandhagen-Font sucked. That fight could have been so much fun if it stayed on the feet. Sandhagen's wrestling was just so much better, but not quite good enough to really get off any ground and pound and only a serious sub attempt or 2.

-----

I'm usually the last person to get on board with prospects, but even I've been on the Suarez train since she was on TUF. Glad she's got the health issues seemingly figured out to finally show just how good she is. Would love to see her get a title shot next, but Yan also has a claim.

Reactions: Taytro

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nate nearly got face planted through the ropes and lost to Paul and is being talked about like a winner. Classic Diaz.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Nate nearly got face planted through the ropes and lost to Paul and is being talked about like a winner. Classic Diaz.
Paul was a -500 favourite. So the fact Nate had the showing he did (and what we all expected if he could survive the first half) makes him a winner. I mean, it was also pretty obvious how it would unfold. Myself and other predicted exactly what you're commenting on lol.

All Nate has to do to win is lose for 9 rounds then flap his arms in the 10th and play to the crowd for 3 seconds while screaming "209".

Reactions: Avs_19

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Can we merge boxing/mma forums together?

Nate did much better than I expected. That said, boxing just kind of sucks. Especially when you see how Nate actually fights in MMA.

Pitter patter with balloons on doesn’t really do much.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I only caught the last 4 or 5 rounds of Paul/Diaz but I thought it was pretty lame. I get Diaz is just doing his thing but I find the lack of urgency and screwing around just annoying when he's losing. Seems like most people liked it so maybe it's just not for me.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I only caught the last 4 or 5 rounds of Paul/Diaz but I thought it was pretty lame. I get Diaz is just doing his thing but I find the lack of urgency and screwing around just annoying when he's losing. Seems like most people liked it so maybe it's just not for me.

For the majority of the fight Diaz was throwing arm/slap punches while Jake looked like the real boxer. He had Diaz down once and close to down a few other times. There were a few times Diaz looked good when Paul was tired but otherwise kind of boring. Hopefully Diaz made some good money.

Reactions: m9

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Main event was boring but I don't really have a problem with it. If you don't want Font to jab you all night taking him down is a good idea.

Suarez is sick obviously, hopefully we get her in a title eliminator next while she's still healthy. And I respect Andrade for taking these tough matchups, but if she wants the title back she should probably slow down a bit and not burn through that contract.

I thought it was annoying too because I wanted him to win lol. Like he'd win a round and instead of building on the momentum he would just dick around for the start of the next round.

Reactions: Avs_19

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I can't stand the Diaz screwing around celebrating like he has won just because he hasn't been knocked out/had a couple of good moments in the fight. Don't care for him at all. Actually glad Paul won!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The fact that this is even a topic of conversation and people need to research it tells you how bad that fight was.

I don't blame Sandhagen for the strategy after the last minute replacement and apparent injury but he should probably start getting ready for Merab. Forget about your next fight being a title fight after that performance.

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The things I specifically hated about the main event last night, blame in three places:

-Truly awful and embarrassing performance from Font. I don't even think those takedowns were that good but Font offered no resistance and then couldn't even get back up

-Sandhagen not advancing position and rarely even attempting it is just brutal. GSP used to do this sometimes and it would drive me crazy. You can say he did what he had to do to win but in a sport where you are trying to gain fans and are known as an exciting fighter this might as well have been a loss

-Not sure if this should fall on the ref or the ruleset in general, but entertainment is a large element in the sport and I don't think you should legally be able to lie around and do nothing like Sandhagen did. Stand them up when action stalls out. Now maybe it ends up back there but at least you are showing that the fans and entertainment matter

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
A couple more thoughts about Nate-Jake.

For all the "Nate doesn't even want to be there" talk, Nate showed up to fight...as he always does. I think the disinterested schtick this week was Nate being "too cool for school" and/or gives him an excuse if he got embarrassed.

If this celebrity/YouTuber boxing thing is coming to an end, Jake going to MMA probably would breathe a little bit of life back into it...for at least a fight or 2. Training for boxing is incredibly difficult, but MMA takes that to 11. I don't know if Jake will really want to stick around MMA, though.

At the very least, having a "$10M offer on the table" should give Nate some leverage with the UFC to come back and fight Conor.

Reactions: 16Skippy and Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad