GDT: UFC on ESPN: Holm vs. Bueno Silva

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The problem is people don't hate her, they just don't want to hear from her at all. It's one thing to be a heel and people want to tune in to see you lose. It's another thing to talk yourself out of viewers, and that's what Pena is doing.

100%, most of the time any media is good media... Unless you're actively giving them more reasons to not want to watch you do anything or engage with you at all.

Pena should still be riding the coat tails of beating Nunes. Doing something no other woman came close to in the last X amount of years. Not only beating but knocking down and finishing the fight against a 2 division champ and one of, if not the best woman UFC fighter ever.... Instead she's trying to start pretend beefs that people would get more value out of not reading.

I think it comes off bad right now because she doesn't have an opponent and is just talking about nothing but it will help sell fights once she actually starts fighting.. assuming she wins.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
About 6 posts of talking about Pena's cringe is more discussion about a WBW than we've had in a long time (other than Nunes). Mission accomplished, I'd say.

• Haha
Reactions: Bunk Moreland

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
6 posts of discussion, zero buys

I’m just waiting on GDR to come back

Nobody was buying her before though? They aren't headlining PPVs anyway, they just need to get to a point where they are interesting enough to co-headline a PPV or headline a Fight Night.

I think if Bueno Silva fought Pena there would be more interest overall because of things Pena has said and also MBS's reaction to her. There's at least something behind it now, which is better than nothing.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I will say, if they generate interest, they've then got to deliver. Either individually or put on a great fight. If they get more eyeballs and then it's nothing but a bunch of air jabs and grinding on the fence, it might actually do more harm than good in the WBW division.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I will say, if they generate interest, they've then got to deliver. Either individually or put on a great fight. If they get more eyeballs and then it's nothing but a bunch of air jabs and grinding on the fence, it might actually do more harm than good in the WBW division.

For sure.

And lets be honest, we probably aren't going to get any stars or PPV headliners out of this whole thing. But Pena's purpose in all this (to me, not to herself) is to be a villain that the other 135ers react to and then those other 135ers beat her. I think it's already working out pretty good with how MBS has talked about Pena. It's even better that Pena isn't very good (but is ranked high) so she'll be an easy springboard then probably fade away.

Between Pena talking dumb & MBS's finish this weekend plus her reaction to what Pena said.. I'm already more excited about that potential fight. It's taken it from a 1/10 to a 3/10.. but at least it's a start.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For sure.

And lets be honest, we probably aren't going to get any stars or PPV headliners out of this whole thing. But Pena's purpose in all this (to me, not to herself) is to be a villain that the other 135ers react to and then those other 135ers beat her. I think it's already working out pretty good with how MBS has talked about Pena. It's even better that Pena isn't very good (but is ranked high) so she'll be an easy springboard then probably fade away.

Between Pena talking dumb & MBS's finish this weekend plus her reaction to what Pena said.. I'm already more excited about that potential fight. It's taken it from a 1/10 to a 3/10.. but at least it's a start.
I agree completely with everything except I'm not as down on Pena as a fighter. I mean, I don't think she's very good, but I don't know how good Silva or anybody else in the division really is either. Pena is only 5-3 in the UFC, but her losses are to Nunes, GDR, and Valentina. Probably 3 of the 5 best 125-135lbers ever? The problem is that outside of the Nunes win which certainly seems flukey now, her only UFC caliber wins are Zingano and McMann. I don't really have a good read on how good she is.

So I don't know that Silva would win that fight. I'd hope she does, but outside of the Holly win, her resume isn't exactly sparkling either.

By the way, when I saw MBS, I thought "Aw shit, first Kadyrov, now the Saudi Prince?" :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I agree completely with everything except I'm not as down on Pena as a fighter. I mean, I don't think she's very good, but I don't know how good Silva or anybody else in the division really is either. Pena is only 5-3 in the UFC, but her losses are to Nunes, GDR, and Valentina. Probably 3 of the 5 best 125-135lbers ever? The problem is that outside of the Nunes win which certainly seems flukey now, her only UFC caliber wins are Zingano and McMann. I don't really have a good read on how good she is.

So I don't know that Silva would win that fight. I'd hope she does, but outside of the Holly win, her resume isn't exactly sparkling either.

By the way, when I saw MBS, I thought "Aw shit, first Kadyrov, not the Saudi Prince?" :laugh:

Yeah, I don't mean that all of the other 135ers will be better than Pena but just that she's not so good that nobody can beat her. Whether that's MBS, a 125er moving up, or someone else. I just think someone else will be able to parlay her trash-talking into a bump when they beat her.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad