GDT: UFC on ESPN: Holm vs. Bueno Silva

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hahaha yes, I don't know the official scoring or stats but like .. if 1 fighter does more damage in 1 minute of a round and the other fighter takes down, controls, and advances position for the following 2/3 minutes of a round. The optics are that the control fighter won the round. And the scoring used to reflect that as well.
Well it’s not supposed to now, thank god. Because Hafez accomplished a whole lot of zero damage or attempts at a finish with his grappling the last two rounds and got worked on the feet

• Haha
Reactions: Taytro

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
A judge also thought Jalin Turner won round 3 last week, doesn’t mean they know what they’re looking at

Barely any sub attempts, you don’t get points for advancing and doing nothing with it. He was holding on and hoping Jack didn’t get up

100%Correct. Didn’t find round 2 and 3 particularly close if going by modern criteria tbh

Hafez was connecting with JDM in that second round. JDM had the advantage on the feet but he wasn't running away with it. And then he was underneath Hafez for a minute and a half. There was an armbar attempt as I recall.

I thought JDM did enough on the feet to just win that round, but it was close imo. And Hafez winning that round would not have surprised me (as one judge scored it).

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Hafez was 3 for 20 on take down attempts... I'd JDM didn't put himself in negative positions with those stupid guillotine attempts the grappling narrative changes quite a lot.

Reactions: CDJ

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Hafez was 3 for 20 on take down attempts... I'd JDM didn't put himself in negative positions with those stupid guillotine attempts the grappling narrative changes quite a lot.

yeah JDM was dumb. Real luck to get through this fight with a win to his name considering the amount of baffling low IQ decisions he made. Overall, he did deserve the win. But it wasn't anywhere as convincing as it should have been. If anything his stock dropped after this fight.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
JDM went 27-16 in sig strikes in round 2 and 43-7 in round 3 (also had the edge 13-9 in round 1 though that I give to Hafez because he actually threatened a sub)

Reactions: Bunk Moreland

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've tried to stop scoring fights as it's just aggravating with judging but I thought the last two rounds were clear JDM rounds. Fairly typical for the impact of what the underdog does to get overstated.

Hafez looked solid though. I'm not sure if he has a difference-making skill, but looks UFC quality at least.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I've tried to stop scoring fights as it's just aggravating with judging but I thought the last two rounds were clear JDM rounds. Fairly typical for the impact of what the underdog does to get overstated.

Hafez looked solid though. I'm not sure if he has a difference-making skill, but looks UFC quality at least.
Reminds me of a mini Beefy Latifi

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
JDM went 27-16 in sig strikes in round 2 and 43-7 in round 3 (also had the edge 13-9 in round 1 though that I give to Hafez because he actually threatened a sub)
Ehhhh, 11 extra strikes vs several minutes of control time. I know the newer scoring system greatly prioritizes damage but... My brain doesn't think 10/11 strikes balances out being on the bottom for over half a round. If Hafez even through so much an inkling of ground and pound in that 2nd round I think he would have taken it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ehhhh, 11 extra strikes vs several minutes of control time. I know the newer scoring system greatly prioritizes damage but... My brain doesn't think 10/11 strikes balances out being on the bottom for over half a round. If Hafez even through so much an inkling of ground and pound in that 2nd round I think he would have taken it.
He for sure would’ve taken it, hell if he attempted an arm triangle like he did at the end of round 1 he probably would’ve won it too. Unfortunately he did nothing w his control time in round 2 and 3. He did a great job nonetheless, made it competitive (well he and JDM’s IQ)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Nice sub for Bueno Silva, my new favorite WBW :laugh:. I thought she would be bigger, but she looked really small compared to Holly. Struggled with the reach/height a bit, but she throws with intent. As DC said, she fights nasty. I'm guessing the UFC still goes with Pena-Pennington, but Silva made it a conversation. Her resume wasn't great coming into this fight, but Holly is a better win than anyone on Pennington's streak. A finish, no less.

In a career of tough losses, another tough loss for Holly. She could have made a case she deserved the title shot with a win since she has beat Pennington twice. At 41 going on 42, that might be it for her. With a weak division and a big name, I guess she's always 1 win away, but the clock is ticking.

I thought it was clear 2-1 for JDM. Hafez did nothing when JDM inexplicably gave him the position in R2 while JDM has lighting him on fire on the feet. The numbers weren't that lopsided, but JDM was cracking him and Hafez was throwing looping arm punches. Still, not a good showing for JDM. Terrible decision in R2 and then he did the same thing in R3. Should have got him out of there in the second, should have got him out there in the third, and ended up with a split decision win. Hafez showed well considering it was such short notice. I think he's UFC caliber in the sense that he's a good wrestler you can use to test up and coming strikers, but he's way too limited to be much more than that IMO.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
She's awful. And not even like the Colby or Henry awful where I'd still be interested in watching them fight. She's just awful awful. Especially considering how poorly her last fight went. Idk if she thinks this marketing style benefits her but I assure you, it doesn't.
Shes cringe and trying so hard to be that heel, despite being a boring and shit fighter

The fact that she thinks Nunes retired cause she was scared of her says it all.

When Nunes cared about that fight, she easily controlled all 5 rounds.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
She's awful. And not even like the Colby or Henry awful where I'd still be interested in watching them fight. She's just awful awful. Especially considering how poorly her last fight went. Idk if she thinks this marketing style benefits her but I assure you, it doesn't.
I had no opinion of her one way or the other. I was glad to see her beat nunes just cause I root for chaos but since then her act has been awfully cringeworthy. I can't stand her.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I almost feel like making your opponent do this should be considered a submission. Caught the last minute of this fight on my break, wish I saw this live lmao

Cormier was laughing so much at her for the whole fight lol. They said something like if the cage wasn't there she would be out of the arena. Even in the post fight interview he asked Dumont what she thought about her opponent running away like that

• Haha
Reactions: Taytro

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I love what Pena is doing. It's awful to listen to but having someone to hate in that division is great.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I love what Pena is doing. It's awful to listen to but having someone to hate in that division is great.

The problem is people don't hate her, they just don't want to hear from her at all. It's one thing to be a heel and people want to tune in to see you lose. It's another thing to talk yourself out of viewers, and that's what Pena is doing.

Peña has X-Pac “turn off the channel” heat, not the good kind of heat

100%, most of the time any media is good media... Unless you're actively giving them more reasons to not want to watch you do anything or engage with you at all.

Pena should still be riding the coat tails of beating Nunes. Doing something no other woman came close to in the last X amount of years. Not only beating but knocking down and finishing the fight against a 2 division champ and one of, if not the best woman UFC fighter ever.... Instead she's trying to start pretend beefs that people would get more value out of not reading.

Reactions: Bunk Moreland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad