GDT: UFC on ABC: Emmett vs. Topuria/PFL 6

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What a fight between Barber & Ribas.

This is by far the best Barber has looked IMO. Looked so smooth & dynamic in there.

Reactions: CDJ and 16Skippy

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Low IQ from Ribas this fight, she seemed technically better but put her self in losing situations. She was winning the first then kept going for the leg and getting pummeled. Then in the second she knocked Barber down and lowered her hands out of confidence and got caught. She couldn't get out of her own way.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ribas' striking defense looked better in R1 but went to shit once she got a little tired and beat up on the ground. Never liked her at 125. She's not a great striker and her grappling is very physical and relies on strength. Someone like Barber is just too strong for her.

Would like to see Barber vs. someone like Murphy next. She deserves a step up, but I think it's too soon for top 5.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
What a fight between Barber & Ribas.

This is by far the best Barber has looked IMO. Looked so smooth & dynamic in there.
I thought Barber looked good but also a step behind in the striking. I think the only times she had significant success was when Ribas was making mistakes. Barber is still really young so I can see her continuing to improve and then being a challenger higher up in the division.

Reactions: td_ice

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought Barber looked good but also a step behind in the striking. I think the only times she had significant success was when Ribas was making mistakes. Barber is still really young so I can see her continuing to improve and then being a challenger higher up in the division.

Yeah, that's fair. I have never really been all that impressed with her so for me this just looked like a really, really good version of her. I'm usually not that excited to watch her fight but this was great and I'll be really interested in her next one.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Topuria just looks a bit more comfortable at range through one round. Sliding in and out with great footwork. Emmett a step behind.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Emmett just lunging at everything right now while Topuria just looks great through 2.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Topuria is putting on a clinic here. Just can't get overzealous looking for the finish. Even though I think Emmett's power is overrated, the dude swings big and if he lands one of those....

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Emmett continues to just lunge forward and miss. I actually think he's doing much better backed against the cage and letting Topuria come into him. He'll have to take a few shots but he'll give a few and I don't mind his chances there.

But this about Topuria. Putting on a show through three rounds.

Reactions: 16Skippy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Emmett is tough as nails.

Even if he blows this, Topuria is showing he belongs at the top of this division.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This would be a case where some people probably want Emmett's corner to throw in the towel. But this is a 38yr old whose got 5 minutes to land something and put himself back in the title mix. Or he can throw in the towel and probably never get back to that level. Gotta go out there and give it a shot.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Nah that man is a dog and still wanted it bad, no need for the towel

Star-making performance for Topuria

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great performance by Topuria.

It seems we've had so many top prospects kind of flame out in MMA in recent years but Topuria has lived up to every bit of the hype and should be challenging for a belt within the next two fights.

Reactions: CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Topuria is so damn impressive. His counter punching is phenomenal, evading and then giving a stiff jab or even a 3/4 punch combo. He proved he can take a punch. Put in the biggest spotlight of his career and he shines.

Hats off to Emmett too. Outclassed for a lot of the fight but went down swinging. No quit in either guy. Very fun fight to top off a pretty good card.

Reactions: m9

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah, how did one judge see 3 10-8 rounds there? I might have seen one that could maybe be a 10-8 but would definitely not score it that way.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad