GDT: UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs. Rodríguez

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I hope Max goes to 155 from now on.

As much as Volk v. Max 3 would be really fun it'd almost assuredly end in another close 5 round decision that won't do anything for anyone.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Rodriguez should’ve been bit more aggressive in the last two, clearly the fresher man and had more knockout power left

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not a lot of people will see it that way but I agree. This was a better and more technical display of fighting fought at a higher pace with a comparable amount of action, and they kept it up for 5 rounds.
Thats kinda what i meant... there was sooo much going on in this fight.

Dont get me wrong the Chandler fight awesome... but that was just reckless chaos.

This had sound ground game, some grappling/bjj... great boxing and striking...and was a 5 round war.

Personally for me this was more enjoyable... not to say the other fight wasnt enjoyable... just in a differnet way.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I hope Max goes to 155 from now on.

As much as Volk v. Max 3 would be really fun it'd almost assuredly end in another close 5 round decision that won't do anything for anyone.

i don’t know if he hits hard enough for 155. Maybe if he took a lot of time and muscled up

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yair is tough as hell and brought it today, but Max did what Max does. Didn't expect it to go to the ground at all, but otherwise it went about as expected and why I was looking forward to this one.

Max might be some punching power away from being the GOAT.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I was only half paying attention to the fight, but I thought 1, 2, and 5 could've gone to Yair

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thats kinda what i meant... there was sooo much going on in this fight.

Dont get me wrong the Chandler fight awesome... but that was just reckless chaos.

This had sound ground game, some grappling/bjj... great boxing and striking...and was a 5 round war.

Personally for me this was more enjoyable... not to say the other fight wasnt enjoyable... just in a differnet way.

I can understand that. One was jeopardy (max-Yair) and the other was wheel of fortune (gaethje-chandler)

Loved em both, the pure brutality in Gaethje-Chandler does it for me.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I can understand that. One was jeopardy (max-Yair) and the other was wheel of fortune (gaethje-chandler)
Good way to put it...

gaethje and holloway are 2 fighers i never mind spending money to watch fight.... always worth the price of admission.

Reactions: CDJ

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I haven't seen much of Yair Rodriguez fight, but what little I did see I was very impressed with... he's very light on his feet... has great movement...

He only has 1 loss in the UFC... which was a doctor stoppage against Frankie Edgar... so he's never actually been beaten by KO or decision

I think Rodriguez can more than hold his own in a striking match with Holloway, my only concern would be his cardio over 5 rounds... we know Max won't get tired, but will Yair?

I feel like this fight has flown under the radar a little since it comes the week following a PPV event, but on paper this is one of the better match-ups of the year, and I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing how it plays out on Saturday

I feel like my pre-fight analysis was fairly spot on...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I hope for your sake you still haven't bet on any fights ;)

Big John just gave you a warning for that low blow...

john-mccarthy-ufc-184.jpg

Reactions: pistolpete11

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

This is actually an interesting topic to discuss...

A fighter's safety is paramount, and a ref should be intervening when he believes a fighter is done, however, sometimes they get it wrong...

Should a fight be over because of a referee's mistake? Should human error deprive the paying audience of what they paid to see?

We've seen refs halt the action to check a cut, for example, and once the fighter is cleared by the doctor, the fighters are returned to the position they were in when the fight was stopped...

I see no reason why that couldn't be the case if a ref intervenes and then immediately recognizes they were wrong to do so...

A great example would be the stoppage in this video from a guillotine choke...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This is actually an interesting topic to discuss...

A fighter's safety is paramount, and a ref should be intervening when he believes a fighter is done, however, sometimes they get it wrong...

Should a fight be over because of a referee's mistake? Should human error deprive the paying audience of what they paid to see?

We've seen refs halt the action to check a cut, for example, and once the fighter is cleared by the doctor, the fighters are returned to the position they were in when the fight was stopped...

I see no reason why that couldn't be the case if a ref intervenes and then immediately recognizes they were wrong to do so...

A great example would be the stoppage in this video from a guillotine choke...

I think that would be a major disadvantage for the 'winner' of the fight.

In the case of Lima-Rothwell (which I think should have been stopped, but for arguments sake), Rothwell getting to clear the cobwebs even for a few seconds could be the difference between surviving or getting TKO'ed if the ref let it go on for a few more seconds. That's unfair to Lima.

In the case of that guillotine, first, I think it would be nearly impossible to determine just how deep the choke was. You could put them back into the position, but there's more to it than just the general position. Second, he could have been a few seconds away from tapping. But now the 'winner' burned out his arms going for the choke and now has to start from square one. Again, unfair to the 'winner'.

It's unfair to the 'loser' if the ref makes a mistake, too, but it's better to err on the side of "don't get put into a position that could have the ref stop the fight."

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I think that would be a major disadvantage for the 'winner' of the fight.

In the case of Lima-Rothwell (which I think should have been stopped, but for arguments sake), Rothwell getting to clear the cobwebs even for a few seconds could be the difference between surviving or getting TKO'ed if the ref let it go on for a few more seconds. That's unfair to Lima.

In the case of that guillotine, first, I think it would be nearly impossible to determine just how deep the choke was. You could put them back into the position, but there's more to it than just the general position. Second, he could have been a few seconds away from tapping. But now the 'winner' burned out his arms going for the choke and now has to start from square one. Again, unfair to the 'winner'.

It's unfair to the 'loser' if the ref makes a mistake, too, but it's better to err on the side of "don't get put into a position that could have the ref stop the fight."

Maybe their game plan was to have their opponent "burn out his arms going for the choke"

I didn't see the Rothwell fight, so I can't comment on that... but a fighter shouldn't be penalized with a loss on their record because of a ref's error

It would be like a hockey ref calling a goal in overtime believing the puck went in... then immediately realizing the puck didn't go in... but the game is declared over anyway

Would your argument be "don't let the puck go in your own zone if you don't want the ref to call a phantom goal"?

MMA is a competition... and in the spirit of that competition, a fighter should be more willing to reset a fight they may have been seconds away from winning, rather than accepting a win they didn't earn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad