GDT: UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs. Gaethje

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Glover's such a pro. His worst loss is to...Corey Anderson? He never really got to that next level, but he's a tough out for most guys.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Rooting for Cowboy (though I like Gaethje, too), thinking Gaethje is going to win (though I could see Cowboy winning), but really just can't wait to see it play out

member 51464

Respect to Gaethje for giving the ref every chance to not force him to punish Cowboy anymore than necessary.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gaethje landed some clean shots before finally dropping him. I have no problem with the stoppage.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah class there from Gaethje he could have punished Cowboy there pretty badly.

I know it's a meme, but if Gaethje keeps up this more technical striking and uses his wrestling he's the only one in the division I see with a legitimate shot at Khabib. I still think he'd be the underdog, but the man is a beast.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Not the barn burner we were all hoping for, but I think Gaethje in the first round was a possibility that should have been expected.

member 51464

It is crazy how active Cowboy is. It is only September. He could have a 5th fight in 2019.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Perfect on the mic, too. I'm sure he'd gladly take a Conor fight, but chasing the Conor fight is really tired. We saw Nate avoid it and land a huge fight with Masvial and now hopefully we see Gaethje land one with Khabib/Tony. Also, I love that literally everybody is saying Khabib/Tony is next. I think the UFC really wants to make Khabib-Conor 2, but that's such bullshit and I don't think they could make it with so many people saying Tony is next.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Perfect on the mic, too. I'm sure he'd gladly take a Conor fight, but chasing the Conor fight is really tired. We saw Nate avoid it and land a huge fight with Masvial and now hopefully we see Gaethje land one with Khabib/Tony. Also, I love that literally everybody is saying Khabib/Tony is next. I think the UFC really wants to make Khabib-Conor 2, but that's such bull**** and I don't think they could make it with so many people saying Tony is next.
McGregor isn't even a top 5 LW right now IMO and honestly there's probably more than 5 LWs I'd take over him in a fight (Khabib, Tony, Gaethje, Poirier, Makachev, Gillespie, probably Cowboy off the top of my head). He will never get another deserved title shot so if they're going to give it to him...whatever.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Perfect on the mic, too. I'm sure he'd gladly take a Conor fight, but chasing the Conor fight is really tired. We saw Nate avoid it and land a huge fight with Masvial and now hopefully we see Gaethje land one with Khabib/Tony. Also, I love that literally everybody is saying Khabib/Tony is next. I think the UFC really wants to make Khabib-Conor 2, but that's such bull**** and I don't think they could make it with so many people saying Tony is next.

Khabib vs. Ferguson and Conor vs. Gaethje should be next. The former for obvious reasons and I think the latter makes sense as well. The winners can then fight after that.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
McGregor isn't even a top 5 LW right now IMO and honestly there's probably more than 5 LWs I'd take over him in a fight (Khabib, Tony, Gaethje, Poirier, Makachev, Gillespie, probably Cowboy off the top of my head). He will never get another deserved title shot so if they're going to give it to him...whatever.
Pump the breaks on Makachev and Gillespie. They haven't even fought a ranked opponent between them yet, have they? Say what you will about Conor, but he's beat some of the best fighters in the world.

Conor coming back and beating a guy like Gaethje absolutely puts him right back in the title picture. Whether he would take that fight or whether he would win that fight are fair arguments, but it's not that much of a stretch to give him a title shot if he were to beat a Gaethje.

Khabib vs. Ferguson and Conor vs. Gaethje should be next. The former for obvious reasons and I think the latter makes sense as well. The winners can then fight after that.
Agreed, but I like that people have stopped calling Conor out. What Gaejthe said was perfect. "He's retired". If he thinks he can sit out this long, after getting his ass kicked, causing all sorts of trouble outside the cage, and come back to a title shot...he's got another thing coming to him...or at least he should.

Reactions: Avs_19

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pump the breaks on Makachev and Gillespie. They haven't even fought a ranked opponent between them yet, have they? Say what you will about Conor, but he's beat some of the best fighters in the world.

I am just saying based on watching those two fight I would take them over Conor. I've read that Makachev often gets the better of Khabib in training though that could just be hype mongering; watching him fight is enough though I think he'd absolutely batter and break Conor, and same with Gillespie.

Conor coming back and beating a guy like Gaethje absolutely puts him right back in the title picture. Whether he would take that fight or whether he would win that fight are fair arguments, but it's not that much of a stretch to give him a title shot if he were to beat a Gaethje.

Yeah, what I meant by that though is that I don't think he'd win a title eliminator fight against any of the current contenders. I don't think he has the confidence he would either and it's why he's holding out for an immediate title shot.

member 51464

Gaethje versus Tony would be such a fun fight. Both those dudes have such heavy hands and love to march forward. As long as Tony-Khabib happens, I think either one fighting Gaethje after would be fun as hell.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I am just saying based on watching those two fight I would take them over Conor. I've read that Makachev often gets the better of Khabib in training though that could just be hype mongering; watching him fight is enough though I think he'd absolutely batter and break Conor, and same with Gillespie.
Yeah, I'm not saying it couldn't happen (although, it won't happen because they aren't big enough draws for Conor and they probably won't be by the time Conor retires), but I think that's a pretty big leap to go from never fighting a ranked opponent to fighting a former 2 division champion.

Yeah, what I meant by that though is that I don't think he'd win a title eliminator fight against any of the current contenders. I don't think he has the confidence he would either and it's why he's holding out for an immediate title shot.
Why? Again, it's certainly possible that Gaethje beats him, but if Gaethje were to decide to not use his wrestling (which has been the case in all 6 of his UFC fights), why couldn't Conor beat him?

He's already beat Poirier.

As much as I like Cowboy, he's not exactly unbeatable.

I don't think Conor has much of a chance against Khabib or Tony, but he's right there with everyone else in the division IMO.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Gaethje versus Tony would be such a fun fight. Both those dudes have such heavy hands and love to march forward. As long as Tony-Khabib happens, I think either one fighting Gaethje after would be fun as hell.
Tony doesn't really have heavy hands, he's more of a volume striker, but I agree it would be a crazy fight. I think Tony would survive long enough to wear Gaethje down, though. Kind of like Alvarez and Poirier did, but Tony is better than Poirier and Alvarez IMO.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I would take Conor over most of those guys. Gillispe however is criminally underrated and I think he will make a serious splash soon.

Also, Conor is 100% a top 5 LW.

Reactions: Kel Varnson

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Cowboy looked done last night. Would be a good spoiler for up and comers but as an effective top five threat, his time is past.

Very impressed with Gaethje's hand speed and whole being last night. I don't think he'd have the wrestling to take Khabib but that awesome hand speed would give him a chance.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Really bad take.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would take Conor over most of those guys. Gillispe however is criminally underrated and I think he will make a serious splash soon.

Also, Conor is 100% a top 5 LW.
He isn’t and I wouldn’t.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Had a fun time at the event live - crowd seemed great the whole night, not sure how it came across on TV.

Glad Gaethje got it done. Obviously still hope Ferguson/Khabib gets made but I really want to see Gaethje get his crack at Khabib at some point due to the style matchup.

The only other takeaway is that hopefully Sakai gets a nice step up. I think he beats a few guys ranked ahead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad