GDT: UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs. Till

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Brunson seemed to have nothing for Till in the stand up, Till had nothing for Brunson on the ground.

Brunson looked slow on the feet and very loopy. Start to see that when guys get older, I think he has a hard time moving forward from here.

Till needs to do some serious ground work or he's going to start getting abused like this more and more. For as skilled as he is on the feet, he's equally as unskilled on the mat.

Reactions: YNWA14

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I still think Brunson is a gate keeper.

Till just proving he was all hype.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I really wonder what Adesanya will do if he beats Whittaker again. Him vs. Brunson really doesn't excite me. I'd actually love for him to take 6-8 months and make a real move up to light heavyweight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great performance by Brunson. Till looked good early and then rocked Brunson towards the end but Brunson really put it on him once the fight got to the ground. I was glad to see he wasn't just content with holding and throwing little shots to keep busy. He tried to finish the fight in every round once he got Till down. Very impressive.

Loved the elbow from Aspinall in close. He looks legit.

Hated seeing Bukauskas get hurt from that kick. It's all within the rules but it just looks dirty, especially when it results in something like that. Rountree didn't do anything wrong though so good for him.

Pimblett put on a show right from the jump. He has a little Gaethje in him and he'll eventually have to change but it's fun to watch right now.

member 51464

You called him a bum which is about as accurate.
bum: [adjective] of poor quality or nature. not valid or deserved. not pleasant or enjoyable.

Seems applicable ;) Again, the guy is 6-4-1 in the UFC.

Those wins are over:
Wendell de Oliveira (KO elbows)
Jessin Ayari (unanimous decision)
Bojan Veličković (unanimous decision)

Donald Cerrone (TKO punches)
Wonderboy (a unanimous decision where Till missed weight)
Kelvin Gastelum (decision over a guy who, notably, only has 1 win in his last 6 fights)

So, yes, I'd say bum is accurate. For a guy that talks a lot about dreaming of being the champ, he does not really seem to show a lot of growth in the cage between fights. If Israel didn't want to fight him, he'd not have been anywhere near the title picture before tonight. 1-2 now at middleweight in the UFC, and he needs to figure some things out.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dont think hes all hype tbh, he's an excellent striker. He just hasn't evolved his ground game. Put him in striking matches and he'll shine. Put him in wrestling matches and he won't. We knew this coming in.
Yeah I actually give a bit more credit to Till (or maybe not, depending on how important you think fight selection is) for actually taking this fight. It was always a bad match-up for him, but maybe he had more confidence in his takedown defence.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
bum: [adjective] of poor quality or nature. not valid or deserved. not pleasant or enjoyable.

Those wins are over:

Kelvin Gastelum (decision over a guy who, notably, only has 1 win in his last 6 fights)

So, yes, I'd say bum is accurate. For a guy that talks a lot about dreaming of being the champ, he does not really seem to show a lot of growth in the cage between fights. If Israel didn't want to fight him, he'd not have been anywhere near the title picture before tonight. 1-2 now at middleweight in the UFC, and he needs to figure some things out.

Bums don’t get 11 fights in the ufc, so your point is over before it began. He seems to have personally offended you too so my prior post now applies to you as well

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Those wins are over:

I mean, he has a winning record in the UFC, and his losses are to Woodley (champ at the time), Masvidal (on his upswing), Bobby (arguably the best or 2nd best middleweight in the world) and now Brunson (a very strong wrestler who...wrestled him). I guess if you want to try and discredit all of Till's wins and ignore that he's only really lost to (arguably) top 5 fighters and consider him a bum because of it...that's your prerogative?

member 51464

Bums don’t get 11 fights in the ufc, so your point is over before it began. He seems to have personally offended you too so my prior post now applies to you as well
If it is "strangely hostile" to back up an opinion on a message board, I don't know what to tell you.

And the UFC wanting a big star to fill the void left with Bisping's retirement absolutely has played into the treatment Till has gotten since Woodley dominated him. The guy has been coasting on charisma and undeserved hype for some time. Even in this very broadcast, the talk was of a potential title shot with a win as if his most recent loss to Bobby had not happened.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah I actually give a bit more credit to Till (or maybe not, depending on how important you think fight selection is) for actually taking this fight. It was always a bad match-up for him, but maybe he had more confidence in his takedown defence.

Maybe, I think Till takes every fight. He knows his weaknesses and just hopes he can overcome it. He almost did when he hurt Brunsom (from my eyes) but got careless and got finished. He's still young at 28, if he can work on it he can make a real legitimate push. Especially since the champ doesn't take anyone down.

Reactions: YNWA14

member 51464

I mean, he has a winning record in the UFC, and his losses are to Woodley (champ at the time), Masvidal (on his upswing), Bobby (arguably the best or 2nd best middleweight in the world) and now Brunson (a very strong wrestler who...wrestled him). I guess if you want to try and discredit all of Till's wins and ignore that he's only really lost to (arguably) top 5 fighters and consider him a bum because of it...that's your prerogative?
Yes, he has only lost to top notch fighters. Except Brunson. I think you can agree the Brunson lost is a tier below the rest, yes?

But again, his best win when not coming in over weight is either over Cerrone or a Gastelum that has not been the same since his war with Israel.

Again, my frustration with Till is his wasted talent. He should get a better camp and coaching and perhaps he'd live up more to his promise.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If it is "strangely hostile" to back up an opinion on a message board, I don't know what to tell you.

And the UFC wanting a big star to fill the void left with Bisping's retirement absolutely has played into the treatment Till has gotten since Woodley dominated him. The guy has been coasting on charisma and undeserved hype for some time. Even in this very broadcast, the talk was of a potential title shot with a win as if his most recent loss to Bobby had not happened.

the opinion itself was strangely hostile so…

he ain’t a bum. Maybe he’s overrated but like I said….bum’s don’t get 11+ fights at this level. He loses at the championship contender level, that’s not exactly a “bum”

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great win for Brunson. I really thought Till had caught him in that round. Kind of a weird finish in that Brunson got a bit lucky and fell into an amazing position and Till was done.

Aspinall with an easy win. Kind of expected, need to see a step up for him next. Pavlovich would have been more interesting.

Rountree is such a good guy and I know he's following the rules.. but I hate that kick.

Pimblett with a wild one. I hope they just give him fun fights for now because I'm not sure he hangs with anyone decent.

Missed a few of the prelims as Fight Pass was acting up, but oh well.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Great win for Brunson. I really thought Till had caught him in that round. Kind of a weird finish in that Brunson got a bit lucky and fell into an amazing position and Till was done.

Aspinall with an easy win. Kind of expected, need to see a step up for him next. Pavlovich would have been more interesting.

Rountree is such a good guy and I know he's following the rules.. but I hate that kick.

Pimblett with a wild one. I hope they just give him fun fights for now because I'm not sure he hangs with anyone decent.

Missed a few of the prelims as Fight Pass was acting up, but oh well.
Yeh agree with all of this; I think Brunson was doing well already but falling directly into mount really spelled the end for Till.

Also I really think the discussion of making that kick illegal should be a thing. It's a kick that really doesn't add a lot except the potential for serious injury IMO.
Yes, he has only lost to top notch fighters. Except Brunson. I think you can agree the Brunson lost is a tier below the rest, yes?

But again, his best win when not coming in over weight is either over Cerrone or a Gastelum that has not been the same since his war with Israel.

Again, my frustration with Till is his wasted talent. He should get a better camp and coaching and perhaps he'd live up more to his promise.
The last point is fair, I don't think you need to discredit his wins or call him a bum out of frustration though. I agree that he's got a lot of talent; he's only 28 and if he can really work on his takedown defence I think he could be a contender. Currently he could maybe make it up there if he really picks his opposition a little better like a lot of other fighters do as well. Just IMO. I think Brunson is on a similar tier to Masvidal; I actually think that the Masvidal fight was another one that could have gone either way, but Till got caught.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad