GDT: UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs. Till

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Agreed. As much as we love rough fights, we don't want fighters to have long term injuries. Want to see them fight again. Flat out booting a guys knee straight on is filthy. It's fighting though, so I don't know how you regulate that. Should be more of an honour code. They don't hit their training partners like that as Rountree said in his speech after.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Brunson looked good. I think he's a little too slow and too chinny for guys like Izzy, Bobby Knuckles, or Cannonier, though. Hard not to have the thought "Man, what if he moved to a real camp before he was 36 (or whatever he was)?". I agree Brunson-Cannonier while we wait for Izzy-Whittaker. Brunson has been finished by both, but if he were to add Cannonier onto his current run, you've got to give him a title shot.

Till came out like a bat out of hell to push Brunson back, but then slowly went back to his normal ways and it cost him. Those kicks in the 3rd round proved he should have been throwing more of those in the first 2 rounds, too. He got over zealous when he had Brunson hurt. Just another showing where he flashes signs, but ultimately, another underwhelming performance. He's only 28, but at some point, you've got to actually pick up wins. Holland might be a good next matchup for him. They could headline a Fight Night, the talking would be fun, and it's a big step back in competition for Till. If he loses to Holland, then....yikes.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Bums don’t get 11 fights in the ufc, so your point is over before it began. He seems to have personally offended you too so my prior post now applies to you as well
His last clear win was years ago over Cowboy who isn't close to the same size. His "win" over Wonderboy was a hometown robbery. Literally nothing happened for 15 minutes in the Gastelum fight, nobody deserves the W in that one. Aside from briefly stinging Whittaker, that was a very clear loss.

Time and time again, the guy gets in there and does absolutely nothing at all. I wish him a happy life, but I draw the line when people hype him up and mention his name anywhere near the title picture. Izzy tried to pick his spot because he probably thinks he'd win that fight blindfolded. The striking fanatics belive that Till is somehow elite, but in reality he is a flat-footed, low output, one dimensional, middle of the pack 185er.

Nothing wrong with that, but one thing I can't stand is undeserving fighters getting preferential treatment, hype, main events etc.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was impressed by the Paddy win because he showed unbelievable heart but I see people talking about him as a future contender

not with his chin pointing to the sky when he exits the pocket he won’t. Left hook Larry is going to pay him an unwelcome visit if he doesn’t fix that. I’ll probably be betting on him to lose by KO in his next fight. Vendramini almost got him. Depends on his opponent I guess.

Reactions: I am not exposed

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I was impressed by the Paddy win because he showed unbelievable heart but I see people talking about him as a future contender

not with his chin pointing to the sky when he exits the pocket he won’t. Left hook Larry is going to pay him an unwelcome visit if he doesn’t fix that. I’ll probably be betting on him to lose by KO in his next fight. Vendramini almost got him. Depends on his opponent I guess.

If anything I would be betting the fight does not go the distance.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't know if there's a great track record for guys like Pimblett who struggle a bit before they even get to the UFC. Lots of guys lose a fight or two at the beginning of their career and then evolve, but if they are losing fights right when they're on the cusp of making the jump it's usually not a great sign for how they've developed. We'll see if Pimblett is the exception, but I definitely have my doubts that he'll be a top level guy.

He's really fun to watch though, so there will always be a spot for him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah if nothing else he’ll be an all-action fan favorite that you can kick off PPV’s with to get the building going

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Bisping said Till tore his ACL in camp

Eh.. I'll believe it when we see a bit more. Unless maybe it was a partial tear or something. Would be incredibly surprising and dumb if the fought with an ACL tear, especially when Bisping is saying it happened 10 weeks ago.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Eh.. I'll believe it when we see a bit more. Unless maybe it was a partial tear or something. Would be incredibly surprising and dumb if the fought with an ACL tear, especially when Bisping is saying it happened 10 weeks ago.

guys pulled out of a lot of fights with injuries, probably didn’t want to pull out again if it’s something he felt he could strike on

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Been thinking about what Brunson does next, and I think the Costa/Vettori winner makes sense.

I know some are saying Brunson/Cannonier but if Cannonier truly wants to get back in there quick he's going to have to take a fight against someone ranked a bit lower like Brad Tavares. He can stay active that way and cash a cheque.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
guys pulled out of a lot of fights with injuries, probably didn’t want to pull out again if it’s something he felt he could strike on

I mean maybe.. but Bisping also said Till is going to stick around Vegas and work on his wrestling and do some training. Doesn't sound like a guy who is taking months off for an ACL surgery.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Been thinking about what Brunson does next, and I think the Costa/Vettori winner makes sense.

I know some are saying Brunson/Cannonier but if Cannonier truly wants to get back in there quick he's going to have to take a fight against someone ranked a bit lower like Brad Tavares. He can stay active that way and cash a cheque.
If Izzy beats Whittaker...
and if Costa/Vettori beat Vettori/Costa and then Brunson, do you think they get a title shot?

With how badly they each lost to Izzy, I don't know that's enough to earn another shot. If you do Brunson-Cannonier, I think there's no doubt who's next. That's why I'd prefer Brunson-Cannonier.

With Stylebender-Whittaker not even on the books yet and likely being pushed into 2022, Cannonier could get in a stay-busy fight before the end of the year and maybe even get Brunson-Cannonier on the undercard of Stylebender-Whittaker. Plans go to shit if Cannonier were to lose the stay-busy fight or get hurt, but then you'd be in the same position and could do Brunson-Costa/Vettori or go straight to Brunson.

If Whittaker beats Izzy...
They probably do a trilogy so none of this matters.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If Izzy beats Whittaker...
and if Costa/Vettori beat Vettori/Costa and then Brunson, do you think they get a title shot?

With how badly they each lost to Izzy, I don't know that's enough to earn another shot. If you do Brunson-Cannonier, I think there's no doubt who's next. That's why I'd prefer Brunson-Cannonier.

With Stylebender-Whittaker not even on the books yet and likely being pushed into 2022, Cannonier could get in a stay-busy fight before the end of the year and maybe even get Brunson-Cannonier on the undercard of Stylebender-Whittaker. Plans go to shit if Cannonier were to lose the stay-busy fight or get hurt, but then you'd be in the same position and could do Brunson-Costa/Vettori or go straight to Brunson.

If Whittaker beats Izzy...
They probably do a trilogy so none of this matters.

I don't think Costa or Vettori are close to a title shot right now. Vettori probably will never get one as long as Adesanya is champ as he's already lost twice. Costa could get one with 2-3 wins but more than anything we need some time to have elapsed. If Costa beat Vettori and then won twice in 2022 then I could see them doing a rematch in 2023.

But yeah, I agree that Cannonier/Brunson makes sense because of all that. I just think Cannonier wanting to fight again so quickly is what may screw things up a bit. But hey, maybe him & Brunson could fight in December or whatever and that works for everyone.

Reactions: pistolpete11

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I mean maybe.. but Bisping also said Till is going to stick around Vegas and work on his wrestling and do some training. Doesn't sound like a guy who is taking months off for an ACL surgery.

okamoto saying he’s likely headed for surgery soon, still in Vegas right now

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't know Till's financial situation, but he has only had a half of a pay check in the last 2 years and this would have been 3 camps in a row without making it to fight night. It's possible he needed the money. Also, it's a built in excuse that will get him some slack from the UFC and some fans.

These stories always blow my mind, though. Like how do you walk with a torn ACL let alone fight a trained killer?

Reactions: Chaels Arms

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't know Till's financial situation, but he has only had a half of a pay check in the last 2 years and this would have been 3 camps in a row without making it to fight night. It's possible he needed the money. Also, it's a built in excuse that will get him some slack from the UFC and some fans.

These stories always blow my mind, though. Like how do you walk with a torn ACL let alone fight a trained killer?

Seems to depend on the person but lots of people can walk around with a torn ACL for awhile, especially with a light brace. How you could train or get into an MMA fight at the highest level seems crazy to me though. I could maybe see it if you were a wrestler and the plan was just to take the guy down but obviously that's not Till.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad